PDA

View Full Version : spraying velour paper or suede board

satchal
06-25-2003, 11:58 AM
A question? Jackie found some velour paper and used it and found it great now that the picture is done she is wodering if it is okay to spray it, before framing it.

I usually frame her work using framespacers and glass and the frame ,no mat board, and she usually sprys the finished painting. It does not seem to change the picture very much at all. But we are wondering what the spray would do to the velour paper/

By the way I have convinced her to get her own wetcanvas name and page coming very soon!!

ED

Dyin
06-25-2003, 09:31 PM
was always afraid to try on a finished piece...so just now went to one of my scribble pieces..one I use to try different techniques...it was back from my soft pastel days...I used hairspray...works as a fixative the same way...didn't seem to hurt it...actually fixed it quite well...I'm surprised...was just one light covering. Don't hold the spray too close as it'll 'blow' the velour a little and I'm surprised too that it didn't darken at all...I had a light cream support and I can see no difference at all! As it's alcohol based I can't see that it would hurt the material any archival wise...and just ran my finger across it again...no pickup, but the un-sprayed part sure did!!! Hope my experiment helps...colors I covered were white, pale blue, grey and violet and dark blue....no diff in colors at all.

IndigoRed
06-26-2003, 12:17 AM
There was some really good advice from a artist forum called Cennini , One of the moderators Rob, said that useing steam to fix your pastels is the best way as it wont change any colors.

Of course i would like to quote him, but unfortunalty i cannot seem to get the website to load.........here it is if you want to check it out, go to the forums section and just do a search for the words pastels and you should find it in one of the posts.

http://www.studioproducts.com/index.html

cosa
06-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Thank you to all who read my question. A big thanks to the people who answered.
I tried spraying my painting, I could not see any change in either color or the texture I had achieved.
Thanks again Jackie

Dyin
06-29-2003, 01:08 PM
That's great! Now, lets see the artwork!