PDA

View Full Version : what kind of pen do you use?

rapolina
06-25-2003, 08:44 AM
sorry, i'm curious...
i'm experimenting many types, both permanent and non-permanent ink, but i like best my fountain pen.

ciao, rapolina.

magnuscanis
06-25-2003, 08:58 AM
I don't do a lot of ink work but, typically for me, I like to play with different types of pen when I do.

I have a couple of technical pens and some old dip pens, and I'm on the lookout for some suitable feathers to make a quill pen or two (I once tried a small seagull feather but it didn't work very well :( ). I also use brushes from time to time, and quite often draw with a ballpoint pen (since that's often what I have to hand).

I usually work with permanent ink, either (black) Indian ink or burnt sienna.

jjsangel
06-25-2003, 10:34 AM
I usually use either Pigma micron or Zig Millennium with permanent ink and sometimes my technical pens when they are cleaned out.. I have dip pens with nibs but I don't usually use them to draw with anymore.

dolors
06-25-2003, 04:35 PM
I voted permanent ink, because I use chinese black ink (I think in english it's indian ink), I like my old dip pens with nibs and normally draw with them but also have some technical pens and for washes I use a brush of course. So a little of everything.

sassybird
06-25-2003, 06:20 PM
I have a set of Faber-Castell pens that I bought over 25 years ago. They work as well today as when I bought them. I also like dip pens for some things, and I have gone nuts with gel pens in the past year:D I always use archival inks.

drwells
06-25-2003, 07:27 PM
At work (lunch sketches), I use my Pigma Micron 005s for the most part. Also use Pigma Brushes and a .05 for quick sketching.

At home I use my .13 and .18 mm Rapidographs...(mostly the .13/6x0 I LOVE IT!!!

Love my dip pen just can't seem to find the time to play with it as much as I would like.

Archival inks are a must!

Danny

MonicaB
06-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi to the new Danny pic! :D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2003/14803-19462-wave2.gif

Inkling
06-25-2003, 08:20 PM
I use the micron pens. I have the technical pens and the dip pens with nibs, but somehow I never seem to get around to trying them. I guess it's because the micron pens are always there ready to go. No fuss, no bother.

surreal
06-25-2003, 10:19 PM
I use micron pens and gelly roll pens by Sakura.
I also use permanent pens, made by Pentel, which may be archival; I hope the Pentel pens are archival.

:)

Mikki Petersen
06-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Haven't done much ink work since back in my graphic illustration days. Then I used a set of Mars Technicals. Recently I picked up a set of Sakura Microns w/permanent ink on sale and am finding them very handy to use. No fuss, no filling, no dipping. Oh yeah, have dip pens and about 50 nibs from back in my school days. Haven't even considered reviving those old clunkers, drip.

rapolina
06-27-2003, 06:39 AM
thank you for your answer.
i forgot to vote for non-permanent ink too, but i thought that others did... i use both permanent and non permanent.
it's a surprise that no-one use it, i like having the possibility of shading it with water!

another thing strange to me is that nobody uses a fountain pen more than me. it's a wonderful writing/drawing instrument, and in italy it is quite popular. i can write only with it, since my schooldays :D ... and live the drama of the being often out of ink :rolleyes:

i like being here in wetcanvas, learn a lot!

ciao, rapolina.:)

magnuscanis
06-27-2003, 06:51 AM
Ciao Rapolina.

I use water to dilute my Indian ink for shading purposes, at least when I'm using a brush, but I don't usually find the need to do any shading once it's dry (fortunately).

When I'm doing line and wash work and put the ink on before the watercolour, it's very useful to have waterproof ink. Otherwise I'm not particularly concerned about waterproofness, it just happens that I only have a couple of bottles of ink (+ one for my technical pens) which are all waterproof.

I'm not sure, thinking about it, whether permanent and waterproof are necessarily the same thing, as I've been assuming. I understand that a lot of coloured inks are not very lightfast (i.e. not really permanent even though they may be waterproof). I've not noticed any serious fading with either the black or the sepia which I've been using though, so far. :)

rapolina
06-27-2003, 08:37 AM
ciao Magnus, i didn't think about this:

Originally posted by magnuscanis
I'm not sure, thinking about it, whether permanent and waterproof are necessarily the same thing, as I've been assuming. I understand that a lot of coloured inks are not very lightfast (i.e. not really permanent even though they may be waterproof). I've not noticed any serious fading with either the black or the sepia which I've been using though, so far. :)

i just ment water-soluble, but your note is right. i sometimes use coloured inks (wow, you're nearly the one writing "colour" instead of "color", i like that ;) ) but never thought about permanence.
i like solving a line in a painting, and also drawing on wet paper, and i noticed different effects if i use indian ink or fountain pen inks.

thank you for writing.

ciao, rapolina.:)

ajlec2000
06-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I use a Sheaffer Viewpoint fountain pen. It uses disposable cartridges that come in a few different colors. I've used the fine (.03") calligraphy nib. I love this pen. It's inexpensive and reliable. The nib is flexible enough to achieve a variety of widths.
90% of my sketch diary is done with it.
I purchased it after reading Chip Sullivan's "Drawing the Landscape" in which he suggests the fountain pen because of its convenience and unique quality of line.

prairie painter
06-28-2003, 01:48 PM
I use microns, too. But I love the feel of using dip pens- and I have like a bazillion nibs- pick them up by the baggie full on ebay. I don't worry a bit about archival qualities, my sketches are for just to help me remember things!

Elankat
06-28-2003, 02:40 PM
I use Koh I Noor Rapidographs with TransMix Media Brilliant inks. If travelling or sketching on location, I use Microns.

kduncan
07-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Up until about three weeks ago I used brushes almost exclusively, but I've discovered the Sakura micron pens and love them so far. I've been trying the 08 size and have just bought a 05 to try as well.

Although I find myself trying to replicate my brush work with the pens, I find working with them to have a (slight) advantage over a brush: when working indoors in the southeast during summer months the ink tends to dry too quickly due to air conditioning.. drying on the brush even as I work. The pen doesn't have this disadvantage, but does lack the spontanaety of line that the brush gives.

Huygens
09-05-2003, 05:07 AM
I use dip pens, sometimes technical pens and brushes and also a very sharp knife. I prefer break off knives, which I have in several different sizes.

I know every is saying--"hey wait a minute--what's that have to do with drawing instruments". It's really very simple, depending on your drawing surface, you can remove (scratching out) some small portions of dried ink if you are very careful. This also allows you to go back in and put some very subtle lines in.

Although I have Micron--I'm from Tokyo, after all--and have used them quite a bit for technical drawing, I don't like them for art. The tips spread and even with real attention to pressure, the line width of all the pens comes out looking prretty much the same.

This is why I prefer dip pens. Therre is a great control over the lines. Something else I have yet to see mentioned on the forum is drawing on Clayboard instead of paper.

Clayboard is an exceptionall flat, non porus surrface, specially designed to take ink and otherr water based medium such as colored ink, water color and dilute acyrlic. If you make a mistake, you can sscrtach it out, and also, although it is not a flexible as scratchboard in this aspect, you can also scratch into your ink lines--if you use india ink and dip pens. Micron doesn't seem to work well in this medium.

Huygens

arriviste
09-05-2003, 07:00 AM
I use "all of the above," particularly dip pens. I don't use gel or ballpoints nearly as often as I use felt tips.

els
09-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Technical pens mostly. Next step is to invest in good dip pens...

Blueyog
09-12-2003, 12:02 AM
I love to work with dip pen. It's hard at the beginning, but it gives beautiful and bold lines. I still need to work on my techniques however... :p

Tokyo Russ
06-29-2004, 04:19 AM
Mostly I use an old fountain pen with an extremely flexible gold nib. It's a "Franken-pen" a friend gave me, with Artus-Ballit body and Wahl nib.

I also use a Kuretake brush pen with Platinum carbon ink cartridges. Carbon ink is water proof while Kuretake ink is water soluble, and the cartridges of both companies are interchangeable.

My favorite pen is a dip pen. I once bought 500 Soennecken flexible nibs on eBay, and they will be around long after I'm gone! I'm a nut about line variation. Right now I only use the dip pen indoors, while I prefer to draw outdoors!

I don't like the unvarying line of technical pens. I'm not crazy about stipple. I love hatching, but not cross hatching. I love contour shading but not parallel line shading. That just about covers my crazy narrow ideas on pen drawing.

Newwings
06-29-2004, 11:16 AM
I use Sakura Pigma Microns, sizes 005 through 08. Been using them for my black inking for several years. Haven't used another fine point disposable pen that comes close to the 005. The Pigma's ink dries quickly and smear free on my Bristol. Results are consistent from one pen to the next. Great tools, and affordable, too.

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

mel-ink
06-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Sakura Pigma Microns!! Almost exclusively!! I have a few tech pens here that I use for various projects that require something a bit different, but dip pens hate me (blobbity blob, blob, blob) and you can't beat the convenience.

prospector
06-30-2004, 12:01 AM
I bought a set of four Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph tech pens. They akk work fine except for the 6x0 13 nib. I have two 6x0 nibs and they have never worked. Well they made a couple scratches, and then stopped I cleaned them, and they still wont flow. I bought 6 Micron 005, and no problems. Is 005 the smallest nib that Micron makes? :confused:

VineeD
06-30-2004, 10:07 PM
For me it is the Ball Point Pen to the rescue! I use fine point and medium points. I also do some things in Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pens. But, you can't beat the half tones of the ball point.

Vince :)

Noadi
09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Well I started with ball point pens. When I was in highschool I was bored in a lot of my classes so I'd take some paper and a pen and start drawing little tattoo designs.

But now I happen to love my dip pens and brushes. I'm not at all fond of tech pens, they just seem too rigid though I'm thinking of switching to using them for stippling since stippling with dip pens can be a pain. I do occationally use gel pens because they do have lots of fun colors and of course I can go over black ink with them. I haven't used a fountain pen before but I keep wanting to try them.

For ink I use permanent ink, I sometimes use watercolor over my inks so waterproof is a must.

Arcanjo
09-04-2004, 04:25 PM
:o Hi People!
Dip pens are my first choice....always...either traditional dip pens or bamboo ones.
For sketching outside I use a permanent ink artpen, and now a days I am using a lot...the plain and simple BIC.
And I confess I am being lazy lately....LOL
Beijinhos

MJ

prairie painter
09-04-2004, 07:05 PM
I use pigma 005's, but would love to use all my dip pens. Are there tutorials anywhere on the site that talk about those? More to the point, how to keep the little annoying things from, well, not releasing the ink?

Ranger Dan
09-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I used fine pt bics for stippling at first, and now using microns 005 (which are on sale this week at Michael's $1.99)

Ranger Dan
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Alright, anyone know why this keeps re-posting? Or is it just happening on my computer?? :confused:

MonicaB
09-23-2004, 07:11 PM
It's not just yours, Dan. :D Every time someone votes, it gets bumped back to the top. :D

Bendaini
09-25-2004, 04:07 AM
I'm not quite sure what kind of pens I use. I gathered a few differant kinds and use them for differant things. Mostly I use a very fine tipped black pen, and i don't even know for sure that it's pemenent.

MarkL
10-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Pens you ask

I use Rotring Rapidograph

0.18 for fine detail
0.25 for most work
0.35 for quick infill
0.50 for blocking
0.70 or 1.00 for major blocking

Catch ya

s-one
10-15-2004, 11:31 PM
So what do comic book artists use when they ink their comics?
s-one

ReneV
01-11-2005, 10:26 AM
I use Rotring Rapidoliners 0.18, 0.25 and 0.35 mm. They're like the rapidographs but you can use them at an angle. Also they don't clog, and when you replace the ink cartrigde you also replace the tip. Rotring has stopped producing them according to the local shops so I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't found one yet... :(

CaishaRose
01-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I use Rotring Rapidoliners 0.18, 0.25 and 0.35 mm. They're like the rapidographs but you can use them at an angle. Also they don't clog, and when you replace the ink cartrigde you also replace the tip. Rotring has stopped producing them according to the local shops so I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't found one yet... :(

Rene, I agree Rapidoliners are great. Their tips are more rounded than the Rapidographs so they don't scratch up the paper as much.

Have you tried Dick Blick? They seem to have Rapidoliner Replacement Cartridges available... Here's the link: http://www.dickblick.com/zz210/04/products.asp?ig_id=1393

Hmm, but not the 0.25 mm replacements. They have the pens, though. I hadn't noticed that before. Guess I haven't ordered replacement cartridges from DB for a while. Here's where I ordered my last round of 0.25 mm replacements: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0035674000000

I hope that helps!

NitaVZ
02-13-2005, 10:45 AM
New to wetcanvas, been sketching with pens and wash in a new burst of interest, so I'm glad to find this old thread :)

I love my Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen (no cap, it's retractable!)--I use water-soluble ink and wash in the line color for sketches.

With microns, I first do watercolor wash backgrounds (happy accidental stuff) then draw emerging objects or scenes.

I like playing with dip pens--my Esterbrook 788 nib is the one and only--for lively line. My inspiration is Hirschfeld, a goal I'll never reach but love the process.

ReneV
02-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice ! I've contacted them in the past. The problem is that the shipping costs for sending them to this side of the pond are huge.. If I want to order say 3 of each diameter then the shipping would be about 50% of the purchase... If I really can't get them anywhere here I think I'll have to though.. :(

regards, René