PDA

View Full Version : painting surface thought

-paul-
03-17-2001, 10:28 PM
hey, i was walking along the beach today (everyone must visit my beautiful victoria, the city of gardens....) and i saw many rocks, more rocks, more rocks, and some nice, big and smooth and flat rocks, and some with a smoothish but texture surface, and then i thought.......hey, why not do some work on big rocks......(not THAT big).....

aside from being heavy.....there could be some good rocks for picture surface.....
what is anyone's thought on this?
could i just gesso it to get the surface a uniform color, and then go for it do ya think? maybe acrylic would be better, because it's plasticy.....would oil fall off or have other problems do you think? anyways, it's just one of those things i think of.......maybe it's stupid, who cares......any comments welcome.......

------------------
Everybody is an artist;
now, whether one choses to be referred to as one or not is another story...

carly
03-17-2001, 11:17 PM
Actually, I've seen a lot of paintings done on rocks. Most were painted with gesso first, then acrylics were used. To keep the painting waterproof, varnish was then used over the entire surface of the rock. Many painted rocks are used in garden areas. I've noticed recently that larger rocks are being painted with entire garden scenes!

You could use oils also...but remember the drying time would be longer and you could varnish in the same way.

Having said all that...I really like my rocks to be just rocks!
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

Wassie
03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I've done a lot of painting on rocks. I have a 'rock' city on my patio. I used acrylic paints called Patio Paints that are for outdoor painting. I used a varnish that has uv protection. The painting lasts for years, with a little touch up every now and then.

royc8
03-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Paul go for it, it is a bold step, as you can't do it out of sight, but if you feel you can do it then go for it ; ) I would love to see how it goes !