GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lucien
Year Created: 2012
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36 x 36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I work in black and white — using painting knives exclusively — and following the graphic designer's logo design rule that the painting should work in black and white first.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments would be welcomed!

song_bird
06-17-2012, 01:23 PM
This is fabulous! (do I actually like that word? :) ) You are very talented.

La_
06-17-2012, 01:36 PM
amazing detail for pallet knife work

i can find nothing to pick, good job

la

benleb
06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Wow! Thanks, you've made my day :)

DarcyBowen
06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Spectacular detail and realistic rendering. My hat is off to you!

eyecandy2
06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
great job with only a pallet knife and drafting. The drawing which includes the perspective of the chairs is right on.

tgsloth
06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I certainly agree with the others your skill, especially in the drafting. It's a good composition too but I don't like your choice of doing the whole painting in black and white. The black seems to be dead black but the white is mottled a bit and the white in the figure and furniture is the same as the background. For me this gives the painting the look of a print or value excercise and therefore diminshes it from what it could be with more graphic information. I don't know that you need to add any color but bringing in additional values and creating a ground and background differential would, I think, make for an improved work.

Coen1
06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I think your painting is great! I'm truly enjoying it.

Revilo
06-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Lucien,

Nice work. As a critique, I agree with tgsloth. I think the black gets somewhat heavy around the convergence of the chairs and the tails of the gentleman's coat jacket. My eye is lead there and gets tangled up in that area. Some differentiation in tone might help.

Revilo
06-18-2012, 05:53 PM
The only other teensy critique I have is regarding the shadow between his cheekbone and his ear. Kinda makes his face look like a mask or like there is blood running down his head.

benleb
06-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Thank you all for your comments or critique. I appreciate it.

Adding color is not an option and painting in black and white is my #1 rule. However, I may use other colors than b/w with some of my paintings but I always use only two colors (like black/silver and alizarin crimson/gold for another one).

I like my paintings to be very graphic and with lots of contrast — and don't wish them to get too realistic. Also, I don't consider myself an “artist painter” but rather a graphic artist (which I've been for 15 years) that uses paint, canvas and painting knives as tools. I'm inspired by the works of John Virtue, Franz Kline, Banksy, Susan Rothenberg and Marc Séguin.

The biggest challenge of my work is getting the right balance between black and white — and comments by tgsloth and revilo will be very helpful achieving that. Thanks!

Ben.

lunchbox
06-18-2012, 08:35 PM
The style is great and I hope to see more! Two questions I have, the chair to our right has one metal post running up to support the back slates, but I cannot see the other post, is his arm draping over that one, because if it is, then the arm length may be off? I am twixed to determine if the shoe closest to us is shadow, or shoe, or both, so I can't get past the form that appears like a point. Small matters - the concept is indeed a strong and likable graphic.

JonRyan92
06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
This is one of the best things I have seen on this site in awhile. It's hard to believe you did this with a palette knife. It looks like a stencil. Great work.