PDA

View Full Version : Possible new lesson?

scottb
08-21-1999, 12:11 AM
Okay, folks - settle a debate between Pierre and I.

Would anyone like to see some lessons which focus on bringing traditional techniques in painting, color theory, etc., to the world of digital art? Possibly using something like Photoshop?

And no, I won't say which side I am on, and which side Pierre is on - even though I know who will eventually win... :-)

Cheers.
Scott

JimC
08-25-1999, 11:49 AM
<font face="arial"><font size=3>[b][i]<font color="#0000ff">Believe it or not, my website is based on a lot of painting, as well as video grabs and electronic manipulation of image. Most people with photoshop can probably figure out most of it with the tutorial or help. Html, though, is relatively simple, yet intimidating to the uninitiated. Since a little bit of html can go a long way, even with regards to formatting text at this site, I think a short html primer would benefit many. -Jim C. ps, check dialogue at <a href="http://www.artnet.com" target="">
http://www.artnet.com</a></font>

[This message has been edited by JimC (edited 08-25-99).]

[This message has been edited by JimC (edited 08-27-99).]

lacommuter
08-27-1999, 06:18 AM
I very much enjoyed the Digital Art Lesson. My first experience with designing something on the computer was in a college course using Art Dabbler. I quickly found how limiting the program was but really enjoyed it. I find it stimulates the creative juices and opens up possibilities just by playing around with the program. I have Adobe on my computer but have only used it to scan at this point. Would like to see more tutorial!

Diana Lee
08-27-1999, 11:44 AM
I have recently discovered the joys of digital. I have been coloring and manipulating my scratchboards via computer (paint shop pro)The difference is remarkable. It actually made me embarrassed about some of the original scratchboards, they look very amateurish to me now. I will try to figure out a way to post a before and after.

Diana

Ken
10-24-1999, 09:11 AM
I would love to see a progression to traditional techniques in digital art. I am in favour.
Ken,

Sandee
10-26-1999, 02:55 PM
YEAH!
COLOR Theory in the real world has 3 primaries: red, yellow, blue. Color for the web is red, GREEN, blue! or CYMK! I use a printed out copy of samples for the RGB values so I don't have to guess any more.
I use Corel Draw 8 (PhotoPaint mostly) and do illustrations and paintings by hand, and pure digital stuff too.
The information about using a graphics pens is exciting. I need to get one for sure.
Reminds of the first computer I ever sat down in front of, a huge CAD system, in 1983. We used digitizer tablets AND graphics pens then. But we were not doing freehand!
I would love to have a way to draw freehand digitally. Right now I scan my hand work and I have to clean up the noise.
Also in Corel they have a neat utility called image sprayer. I can draw a simple image (like a flower) and load it into it and it will spray all the flowers all over if I want.
I drew an image of a bowtie and loaded the scanned image into it. I was able to set the rotation and distance and then created a neat border pattern for one of my stationary designs. (it's the upper left one on this page: http://www.greetingcardexpress.com/series/sandee/dig_stat1.htm The other on this page were created with the image sprayer too (except for the lighhouse note).
I don't know Photoshop, but I love my Corel!
Which graphics tablet should I use? I haven't even considered one for over year! I saw Calcomp had one... they make great plotters.

------------------
Sandee
www.zonescapes.com (http://www.zonescapes.com)
Signature Artist-Greeting Card Express
www.greetingcardexpress.com (http://www.greetingcardexpress.com)
Everything is beautiful...in it's own way.

Drew Davis
10-26-1999, 09:40 PM
Computers often describe the color space with red, green, blue, because monitors are an additive system. Three separate little phosphor dots glow, producing light in those colors that adds up to others. (Eat your heart out, Seurat.) Red light and green light stimulate two color receptors in your eye, and you see yellow. Paints (inks, etc.) are red, yellow, blue, because those are the subtractive primaries. Yellow paint absorbs blue light, leaving red and green to bounce off, stimulate those color receptors, and look yellow. You can't mix yellow from red and green, because the red absorbs green and blue, and the green absorbs red and blue; all three additive colors disappear from the reflected light, leaving you with nothing but a dark.

CMYK is the usual red, yellow, blue system. Cyan (blue), Magenta (red), Yellow, and "K" is value (black).

There are even more exotic sets of coordinates for color space out there. Any real system has colors it has trouble describing or producing, and sometimes more specialized descriptions can allow you to more accurately describe what your equipment and materials can really do.

DrFeelgood
11-01-1999, 02:21 AM
I think the Metacreation Painter behaves somewhat like real world material. I think any process whether digital or otherwise that helps artist grow is useful.
I use painter 3d for all my 2d work.I also draw and paint off the computer. There are strengths and weakness to both.
Doc-

--------------------------------------------
I'm your huckleberry, thats just my game.
Doc Holiday

staterka
04-10-2004, 10:46 AM
yes please! :clap: I've just started using digital media and I'd be really interested in your proposal.

thanks
staterka

Jet
04-10-2004, 12:41 PM
By all means it's a YES !!....

........And i would like to know what the outcome was (or is) as this discussion started back in 1999......

.....I already have a pretty good idea...

Thanks

Regards

digital_art_lady
04-10-2004, 02:02 PM
YES YES YES YES yes please!!!

@mD
04-10-2004, 06:58 PM
It seems like a stupid question to me that I dont want to bother answer,but as the question is asked.......OFFCOURSE YES!!!!!!!!! :clap: :evil: :clap: :evil: :clap: :evil: Hope this will sort things out.

Skinny
10-07-2005, 09:15 PM
ABSOLUTELY! So many of us started our artistic endeavors in the digital domain, and are just arriving at a competence that is static. We need more knowledge of composition, color, stroke, etc., etc., etc...

Sandee, the most popular pen, by FAR, is the wacom.

Yako
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeeees, siiiiiiiii, ouiiiiiii, jaaaaaa!!!!! :D it'll be really nice to have this type of tuts...... :)

maria_khurram
10-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Ahem, ladies, Scott is no longer admin of WC......:D. But Joel can do this for us. :)

kptad2
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
hi scott , this could serve as useful over here.. im for it too :D

Smokin
10-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Very old thread, but very good idea.

Jin
10-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi folks,

WetCanvas! has articles on color theory, perspective (linear and aerial), and other aspects of art creation.

Check the forums related to what you want to learn about, and I believe you'll find links to articles on the main forum pages.