PDA

View Full Version : P-40 away

faminz
06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I guess I'm just a newbie here but im keen to show a few of my works and get some comments.
This was my latest work in aviation art ( I mainly do racing car stuff in CP ). It uses a photo I took myself at hood aerodrome a couple of years ago using an ultrazoom canon SX1 camera of the local P-40 we have here in NZ taking off. The trees are very typical NZ trees called macrocarpas and the sky was added in to give a more dramatic background. This is a mixed medi picture in that I like colored pencil for the main subject to get all the detail and also because it's less messy as I like to do an hour in the evening and then leave it till the next evening etc.. The background was done using gouache.
The kittyhawk has this thing where one wheel always comes up before the other hence the asymmetrical undercarriage ( but I'm sure you knew that).
What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2012/1063042-P-40_7.jpg

birdhs
06-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I am no expert at aircraft, but looks perfect to me from a technical view.
I actually laughed at the way the eye and grin looked like they were straining to get above those trees.

the only crit is that the lower part of the trees are too dark (atho it could just be my monitor or the scan/photograph of the artwork) and could use a few highlite area to keep the dark from drawing away from the COI. Makes the painting seem heavy, a minor fix is all it needs.

Often IRL, the painting is perfect but the way it appears electronically throws things off.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye, GReg

faminz
06-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks Greg, yes it is a bit darker than RL. There is a tad more detail in the trees but I agree with you re it being slightly bottom heavy..
I'll keep struggling to the perfect picture.... Lol

vegaskip
06-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Nice painting, looks natural and spontaneous, and most important it looks 'right'
look forward to seeing more
Jim

halthepainter
06-17-2012, 08:52 AM
I quite like your painting the way it is. Excellent work on the aircraft and the background (at least to my eye) in no way detracts from the aircraft. I quite like the abstracted treatment of your trees.

NeilF92
06-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Looks good - my one minor niggle is the fairly hard line to the top of the dark cloud just above the canopy - for me it could be softened a bit.
It's a fine dramatic image which captures the P40 well.

faminz
06-17-2012, 07:26 PM
you spotted the same niggle I have Neil... might have to correct that!
when I did it, using gouache, I was so friggin tired of blending and having the re wetted paint run together (I was using a finger to smerge it) and nearly overpainting the canopy! that I just plain said, "stuff it, she'll be right " and stopped!

but it does keep annoying me too so ... siiigh... OK Ill tweak it....

bugger!

however I do like the serendipitous way that purple cloud structure does lead the eye down to the canopy as the wings also do from left and right.. It definitely has a focal point!

Propwash
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Great painting and very atmospheric.

Chas McHugh
06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Eye pleasing and effective depiction of this fighter in a rare combination of medium. Looking forwards to seeing some more.

Mark A Bufton
07-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Looks pretty amazing to me. Think you've captured it nicely. Good job :-)