PDA

View Full Version : help with trees????? anyone????

fadinglights
06-24-2003, 08:35 AM
I have a pic that I started several (SEVERAL) years ago that I would like to finish- but I am stumped on the trees in the background. Any helpful links or words of wisdom that might help me???

THANKS,
Sharon

Jakeally
06-24-2003, 09:00 AM
I have problems with trees to Sharon:rolleyes:
You could check up seejay or drwells postings in this forum....they are our resident tree experts and have posted a heck of a lot of trees for you to look at.
Why not upload your picture so we can see your problem:cat:

DSPIT
06-24-2003, 10:06 AM
yes, upload your pic so we can see. The technique needed to be used would be based off something to look natural with your existing composition.

Bob

fadinglights
06-24-2003, 06:04 PM
I'll see if I can get my friend to scan it for me- my scanner went on the fritz and when I could do nothing else with it, I banged it on the floor a few times then threw it in the trash. NO, I don't have a bad temper; it was my way of getting closure with the dang thing since it had given me so many problems! ~grin~

I started on this particular pic years back and got to thinking about the trees! Well, I got to thinking about them toooo much and became intimidated with it and put it up. Now I would like to get it back out and start where I left off.

I will look at the members you referred me to. Just by looking, I may be able to get a notion of what is going on and how I should handle the situation.

Thanks!

Sharon

fadinglights
06-25-2003, 01:49 AM
Here is a ref. picture of that which I was drawing:

fadinglights
06-25-2003, 01:53 AM
This is a partial scan of the pic that I am having trouble with.
The scan of my pic is not good quality and is brown ink.
Well, here it is:

Jakeally
06-25-2003, 05:24 AM
This is going to be wonderful Sharon.... your stippling is awesome.
My suggestion would be to lightly sketch in your background in pencil...just the outlines of the trees and other things you want in there. Once you get a pleasing composition I think you will find it easier to see how to tackle the trees.
Take a look at Danny's gnome home picture here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48841) .... he did some delicious bushes in stippling:cat:

MonicaB
06-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Sharon, this is going to be wonderful. I can't suggest anything that Chris didn't already suggest. Danny is da man when it comes to trees and bushes in stippling. :D

Chris, thanks for the link -- I don't think I had seen that one before, so it was fun to go back and read it! Danny, you are awesome! How come we haven't seen more color? :D

BTDogMom
06-25-2003, 10:56 AM
OMG!! Sharon - what u have already is gorgeous!!! Danny is the man 4 trees, but with what u have done here - I can't believe it would b hard 4 u!! Well done ;):clap: :clap: :clap:

drwells
06-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi Sharon! And welcome. Sorry I haven't been around much. Darn work is getting in the way. :D

Hmm, first off...What an awesome start you have here!! Don't worry about the obsessing to the point of freaking out about it. I do the same thing way too much... (Much easier to give up than to go forward and worry about messing up, I'm getting there right now with my treehouse wip)

I'd do as Chris (jakeally) suggested. draw it in really light first. It is in the background so it doesn't have to be as perfect as the main subject matter. If you can, make a copy of the drawing, stipple in the tree/background on the copy. I know it is easy for me to say...but really we all can relate. Just relax take it easy the background isn't a big deal, it is just the filler to complement this gorgeous work you have created.

Hmmm. How I would do the background trees is I would lightly draw them in ignoring the leaves, kinda sketch in the general shape created by the outside edge of the leaves, start dotting in the trunks, use the shapes you created to fill in the leaves. Keep it light (you can always add more later) NOTE: YOU are the artist, it doesn't have to be exactly like the reference. If it was, why would you need to draw it? You already have a photo. :)

Please keep us posted. I really like what you have done so far!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hope I have been a little bit of help....I still don't feel worthy of the praise Chris, Monica and Jamie have given me but they are total sweet hearts.....and I'm starting to believe. :)

danny

MonicaB
06-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by drwells
I still don't feel worthy of the praise Chris, Monica and Jamie have given me but they are total sweet hearts.....and I'm starting to believe. :)

danny

'Bout darn time!!!! :D :D :D

Jakeally
06-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Big Kiss floating it's way across the Atlantic and it's got your name on it Danny.....Thank you. There is one for Leodra and the kids as well:D

dolors
06-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Sharon your drawing is going to be wonderful. I like very much what you have done. They have given you great advices about the trees. Please go on and keep us posted.

sassybird
06-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Sharon, I would finish the stippling and line work then go in with washes starting from light to dark in the trees. Use a small brush, or even a sponge to work the trees. You can do that easily with out intruding on your main subjects by stippling down to the subject and do the washes above and down into the stippling just a tad. That is the way I work.

The piece is going to be goregeous when you finish. The man reminds me of my old papaw:) This is an example for never throwing away work you are frustrated with:D

BTDogMom
06-26-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by MonicaB

'Bout darn time!!!! :D :D :D YEAH, what she said!! (Ok, Mon, u hold him down and I'll beat it & tickle it in2 him & then we'll decide which way is more affective afterwards ;) )

jjsangel
06-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Sharon, this is an amazing piece of work. I am so glad you got it back out to work on cause it is to good to be put away somewhere. You have gotten some great advice from all the wonderful people here, so I can't add anything except that I can't wait to see it finished...:clap:

MonicaB
06-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BTDogMom
YEAH, what she said!! (Ok, Mon, u hold him down and I'll beat it & tickle it in2 him & then we'll decide which way is more affective afterwards ;) )
LOL -- Some people are just slow learners, I guess! :D