PDA

View Full Version : June 16 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to JUNE 16

sherrysherman
06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi all--

Here's what I suggest be in this thread:
- Comments and questions about the June 16 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- Ref photo (which will also be referenced in J's email)
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the June 16 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Try to keep extraneous chit-chat and interaction to a minimum. (I know, we can't help ourselves.)

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the Paint Along Discussion thread, here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

Johannes Instructor
06-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Here is today's painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2012/135220-IMG_7820.jpg

hanksgam
06-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Awesome painting, Johannes!
My ustream was having problems with a melodious flow so I thought I would just wait for the video download!
I am going to go ahead and give the oils a try again. I love he texture and freshness you get with oils. It is so much more free than what I had been taught with oils!
Thanks you for all you do and your sharing of your talent with us,
Randi:wave:

gourdalicious
06-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Oh, Wow! So much softer and atmospheric than what was evident in the demo. Thought the ref. photo was a winner and the demo fantastic but wasn't getting that blowing snow feeling. Yumm...

Tonalist
06-16-2012, 11:36 PM
This photo is great.. the painting is great...

the first thing I noticed about this photo that is different than the demo
is not seeing the heavy texture on the canvas. this seems to help
with the "softer and atmospheric" effect that gourdalicious is talking
about above.. I really like this effect. :thumbsup:

woody

Johannes Instructor
06-16-2012, 11:39 PM
This photo is great.. the painting is great...

the first thing I noticed about this photo that is different than the demo
is not seeing the heavy texture on the canvas. this seems to help
with the "softer and atmospheric" effect that gourdalicious is talking
about above.. I really like this effect. :thumbsup:

woody
The camera uses zoom in mode that the naked eye does not see. This emphasizes the grooves of the canvas more. I thik from now I will have to demo on an ordinary canvas. These HD videocameras give sharpe picture but also end up with the texture of the painting surface being over emphasized.

Wetpaint0938
06-17-2012, 12:53 AM
WOW I like it a lot more then the photo this has warmth and life GREAT JOB JO . Is the paint on this thin to give it that wispy look? You mentioned Underpainting White ? is that a fast dry paint ?

nougat
06-17-2012, 01:18 AM
thank you Jo - fabulous!!

Rosemarie
06-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Wow, so much better looking in the photo. :clap:

I think the position of the cameras light source enhanced the canvas texture and also the glare we saw.

It was fantastic session last night!

Johannes Instructor
06-17-2012, 07:23 AM
[quote=Wetpaint0938]WOW I like it a lot more then the photo this has warmth and life GREAT JOB JO . Is the paint on this thin to give it that wispy look? You mentioned Underpainting White ? is that a fast dry paint ?[/quote
]

Yes

distantriver
06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I especially enjoyed the discussion of values and reserving values today.

Sgourlayart
06-17-2012, 09:38 AM
I especially enjoyed the discussion of values and reserving values today.Me too! Great class. Stu

a_orion
06-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Painting along quickly is always a fun challenge for me and I think it may be particularly helpful as I prepare for plein-aire work this Fall. I always overwork, and this is no exception. My aim is to get the alla prima strokes down.....not there yet by far! I checked my values in b&w and pushed back the far left mountain a little more. It still may be too near in value to the back right mountain...you tell me. My pile of rocks looks boring too. Trees are still stiff and dead looking, but better than last week, so I am happy with any improvement. I will be purchasing the tree course once I get through the 24 lessons of landscape I purchased from the January-March 2011 classes. I highly recommend them!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2012/103864-Jos_Snow_on_MountainsA.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2012/103864-Jos_Snow_on_MountainsA-BW.jpg

Looking forward to the next workshop, but meanwhile, I have plenty of studying to do about trees. Talk soon, Debra

MapperGis
06-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow Debra very nice.
Thank you for posting,
Lois:)

MapperGis
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Johannes wonderful painting demo.
Watching you paint is truly a metamorphosis on canvas.
the true beauty is watching you make the video.
Love it.
Thank you for blessing us.
Lois:thumbsup:

Tonalist
06-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I think the position of the cameras light source enhanced the canvas texture...

I agree.. I'm sure the lighting made it seem that the texture was more pronounced than it actually was... not much anybody can do about that... need lights to paint!

woody

mickisew
06-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Gosh, Johannes - I look at your painting and then at mine - I wonder if we were painting the same thing! LOL I have a long way to go but improve with each session and your excellent instruction. Off to work on one of these WIP's - they are stacking up! Have a wonderful day Jo - hope you are spending it relaxing with your family. Micki

Tonalist
06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I especially enjoyed the discussion of values and reserving values today.

This worked out great for me also.. I have been going through Jo's..
24 painting landscape class again and just a couple days ago watched
No.s 10 & 11 which deal with Values.. so this paint along was an great compliment to those lessons put in practice.

woody

sewnsew43
06-19-2012, 08:44 AM
The June 16 demo does not download.

sewnsew43
06-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I just read the e-mail saying the download isn't working. Sorry I posted something you already knew and was working on.:o

Johannes Instructor
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
The Essentials of Painting Rocks is now up for purchase. To purchase go to:

http://improvemypaintings.com/RecordedClasses.html

and scroll all the way to the bottom. By purchasing this course and others you show your appreciation for all my work. Thank you!

Rosemarie
06-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Johannes - I thought the glazing demo on June 16 would be recorded too but the video doesn't have that part. Stopped the recording due to the 3 hour limit?

Tonalist
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Jo.. I missed the glazing demo.. I thought it would be on the download..
If you still have it on your hard drive can it be uploaded?.. or was it just not recorded?

downloaded June 16th yesterday, but haven't viewed it yet.. no problems
getting it though.

thanks
woody

Johannes Instructor
06-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Jo.. I missed the glazing demo.. I thought it would be on the download..
If you still have it on your hard drive can it be uploaded?.. or was it just not recorded?

downloaded June 16th yesterday, but haven't viewed it yet.. no problems
getting it though.

thanks
woody
The file went up short between the downlaod and upload. I just requested that Sarah adds the glazing segment as a separate video. I will let you know when it is up.

desthers
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Loved the June 16 painting and the demo. However the download has a yellow bar down the center vertically. None of the other downloads do this. Do I need to download the Palette also? Do I need to adjust something in the viewer program?
I am looking forward to the Saturday paint alongs.
Learn so much from seeing the brush work. Thanks

Johannes Instructor
06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
You can download the glazing and the palette segments now.

nougat
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
desthers is the yellow bar all throughout the video? in the part i saw there is no bar showing on mine...

desthers
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Nougat
Yes the yellow bar runs thru the entire video. I downloaded the glazing video and it also has the bar. I went and downloaded 5.27.12 part 2 again and it looks fine just like the first time it wasdownloaded. ???

Rosemarie
06-21-2012, 02:41 PM
You can download the glazing and the palette segments now.

Johannes, you are a deer! Ooops, I mean dear!:D

nougat
06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
desthers that is so strange. the glazing video has no yellow bar either...

desthers
06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Nougat
I am learning that the problem may be in the decoding settings on my computer. I watch HD programs on PBS so not sure what step to take next. Thanks for your input.

nougat
06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
ah...when i have a problem i google it :)

Tonalist
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
desthers.. I use a free program called FLVplayer4free..
I'd try this just to see if it's your player.. you never mentioned which one you're using.

I just played all 3 files and I don't have a yellow bar anywhere.

woody

desthers
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Tonalist
I am using VLC media player. Just thought someone else may have encountered same problem. My posts can be deleted if they are a problem. Thanks

desthers
06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Tonalist and Nougat
Thanks for your input. Downloaded FLVPlayer4Free. No yellow vertical bar.

Tonalist
06-21-2012, 06:06 PM
desthers... Cool!

woody

nougat
06-22-2012, 12:17 AM
glad it's working for you desthers - strange tho i use vlc with no problem! and i have flvplayer as a backup when something won't play on vlc :)

LADickerman
07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Here is my piece in Panpastel. I think I need to work on it some more. I think I want to try some of these paintalongs in a different medium. I think with everything Jo is teaching us, I could do and redo these over and over again and improve that way too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2012/188330-16JunPaintalong_Pans.jpg
If anyone has any suggestions what I should do with those rocks, please let me know.
My mother in law is going to be here this week so I'll try working on my paintings again after she leaves. I had to clean out my Paintalong room so she would have a bedroom. Mixed blessing on that. :angel:
Lori Anne

Johannes Instructor
07-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Here is my piece in Panpastel. I think I need to work on it some more. I think I want to try some of these paintalongs in a different medium. I think with everything Jo is teaching us, I could do and redo these over and over again and improve that way too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2012/188330-16JunPaintalong_Pans.jpg
If anyone has any suggestions what I should do with those rocks, please let me know.
My mother in law is going to be here this week so I'll try working on my paintings again after she leaves. I had to clean out my Paintalong room so she would have a bedroom. Mixed blessing on that. :angel:
Lori Anne
You can use business card stock paper and create hard edges on those rocks by carving out the darker planes so they look 3D.

LADickerman
07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
I finally was able to try this paintalong in Acrylic. I like this one much better. I've only been using acrylics since March of this year.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2012/188330-Snowy_Peak_and_Frozen_Stream_Jun_12_PAL.jpg
C&C welcome.
Lori Anne

Johannes Instructor
08-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I finally was able to try this paintalong in Acrylic. I like this one much better. I've only been using acrylics since March of this year.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2012/188330-Snowy_Peak_and_Frozen_Stream_Jun_12_PAL.jpg
C&C welcome.
Lori Anne
I would soften the edges in the very distant evergreen tree forest.

LADickerman
08-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks Jo...I will do that. I worked and reworked that part 3 times. I also struggled with the mist back there. I also thought I should either take out the far mountain on the right or soften the edges on that as well.

LADickerman
08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Here are some of my corrections/enhancements.:wink2:
I think I may have gone too light on the mountains to the right but my trees stand out more now. What do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2012/188330-Snowy_Peak_and_Frozen_Stream_temp.jpg
Lori Anne

LADickerman
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I darkened the mountains and tweaked a few other areas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2012/188330-Snowy_Peak_and_Frozen_Stream_Final.jpg
This is it..no more tweaking it...unless Johannes say so.:o
Lori Anne

susanc
09-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Today it's extremely obvious that the two rocks on the ice are clones! Something happened when I wasn't looking--I swear they weren't like that yesterday! ;)

I'm trying to keep my brushstrokes fresh and can't quite figure out how to finish this up without losing freshness. Maybe a few sharp edges here and there? I'm nearsighted and this sort of makes me feel like I feel like I need to put my glasses on?

Temps are still high here, so this scene was a great way to try to forget that. Thanks for the class! I'm trying to catch up with all the ones I missed.
(That purple blob on the left just under the center doesn't exist in real life. Promise. That is so weird! It doesn't have a strident purple bias--it's just dark.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2012/1697-img390.jpg