PDA

View Full Version : color question for commission

Artistammy
06-23-2003, 09:30 PM
This is a piece I have a commission for (my first!). The man had this on a hankie. He wants it to be darker in color to look more realistic instead of pastel looking. I have a question about how to do the drape over Jesus. He said to use my judgement. I donít
think it should be all red. What do you suggest I do to it? White with blue shading or red shading? BTW, the main part of the helmet will be brass colored.

CarlyHardy
06-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Scripture says the color of the robe was scarlett...which was a rose to purple color, (not the deep red that we think of).
carly

CarlyHardy
06-23-2003, 11:42 PM
Is this an image that he sketched? Not sure what you mean by it being on a hanky....does he have the copyright?
carly

magnuscanis
06-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Carly, I take your point about the scarlet robe, but surely that's what he was wearing when the soldiers were tormenting him before being put back into his own clothes to be led out for crucifixion? Of course, that's not to say that Tammy couldn't employ some artistic license here and paint a scarlet robe.

Incidentally, I always understood scarlet to be a bright red tending towards orange. Is there any evidence that the biblical term translated as scarlet was a more rose-mauve colour (i.e. tending more towards blue)?

Chelle
06-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Congratulations on your first commission Tammy. I'm following this thread with interest.

amanda
06-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Chelle
Congratulations on your first commission Tammy. I'm following this thread with interest.

Me too!

Artistammy
06-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Carly,
He sketched this on the hankie. It's not something that was bought that would have a copyright. Thanks for asking.

Artistammy
06-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the congrats. I'm rather nervous.
Carly, it's true he wore a scarlet robe before the crucifixion but is usually portrayed wearing a white "diaper" on the cross & white garments later. I'm considering white as the base with scarlet shading. What do you think of that? I also want it to work (look good) as a painting not just be accurate.

Dyin
06-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Personal opinion...think blue shading would make for better interest...unless you have a deep red hue that has a bluish tone...I used oil pastel in a deep russet and light russet that gave me a really gorgeous deep red tone that put me in mind of the rich color you are looking for. As a curiosity I was wondering if a little research would reveal what was used as a dye base for the reds of that era...might give a good clue as to the tone needed???