PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to exhibit my wares!

Mo.
06-23-2003, 06:03 PM
I've had some wonderful news today... I've been granted FREE gallery space to put on a joint exhibition with my daughter.

Here in Newport there is a scheme recently set up to encourage art and crafts persons to set up in business, it's called Enterprising Art.... they are also offering gallery space, so I took the bull by the horns and applied for it..... this was several weeks ago... I had a meeting with them about 2 weeks ago, took a couple of my paintings along to show them.... I was asked all sorts of questions, whether I'd sold any work previously and such, as apparently the scheme is supposedly for those who have never sold anything before to test the market and see if there is a niche..... well I didn't think I'd qualify....told them I just wanted a chance to exhibit my work

But had a phone call today...... giving me the go ahead..... All free, no commissions, no charges all FREE!!!

One little snag, I have less than two months to prepare and show.... it will be held the last week in August.... now as the Monday of that week is a Bank holiday, they have suggested that we set up on the previous Friday (22nd Aug).... to open on the Saturday 23rd.

The dates have to be confirmed, but it's looking pretty positive..... WOW!!!

I've seen the room, and it's big, lots of wall space a lovely long table too... it's above the Enterprise Shop in the High Street of Newport.... we will have a meeting with the Enterprise people in a week or so to discuss what we need to display our ' wares'... then it's all systems go... so little time, so much to do..... I'm all of a buzz.!!!

Any ideas or suggestions from you folks will be welcomed.... this is an absolute first for me and my daughter, ... Ooooh I'm so excited.:D:D:D

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 06:18 PM
.......... what about a brown Mac........ so you can flash your wares hee hee.........

Super dooper Mo......... congrats......... wonderful news....... you know my idea already hee hee......

Local NewsPaper Headlines .......... Mother and Daughter show their wares ..... should get em flocking in.....

Must Do;'s Have digi camera with you at all times..... to take progress shots of the build up...... during, and after ...... and dont forget to report in here with updates......

Mo Im so happy and thrilled for you, you and your daughter :clap:

...... what about Local Radio and TV station? ........ ohhhhh dont forget business cards ........ labels to go on back of Paintings, with your addy and website address......... flyers......... popping them through letterboxes...... lol get the local paperboy or someone........ erm...... put a notice in your cars

Ha! Im excited too :D :D :D

Mo.
06-23-2003, 06:25 PM
ROTFLOL.... I think I'll forgo the brown mac... maybe a white one though.:D:D.... I'm rocking laughing at you Dawn.....

Seriously... you have some brilliant ideas there.... I'm noting them all, local radio staion is good, they are sogood at this sort of thing here... why didn't I think of that!.... 'Cos I've not got your brain...pea brain me..... don't worry, I'll take loads of pics for you, promise.

You are a great Pal Dawn... Thanks buddy... ;)

Mo.

doe
06-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Mo, how exciting for you and your daughter! I have no idea what you should be doing - frame everything and do what Dawn said!

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 06:37 PM
:D

........ what about telling all your previous clients..... not to mention your art classes........ and that place you did that discussion and display on oil pastels

Ha! Ha! ...... I did have visions of you in a little car with all posters with a loud speaker ...... like they do when they canvas in the elections lololol

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 06:40 PM
me again :D ..... you can always advertise in here lol..... put a notice in the business or event forum......

also put a note under your signature..... time place..... where lol

..... ok, leaving you alone....... need to rest this Brian of mine :D

Mo.
06-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Thanks Doe... She's good with her bright ideas dontcha think? :D

Okay Who's BRIAN Does DH know about him?

sheesh Dawn... I'm scribbling away here noting all you r great ideas... Zillion thanks.:)

Kathryn Wilson
06-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Mo: I am absolutely thrilled for you!! So much to do in so short a time - first things first - sit down and write a list from D-S's ideas. She has some excellent ones. But how about the logistics, how are you going to transport and hang?? Sounds like a group project to me.

Please, please keep us updated - your experience will be good for the group to learn from if we are ever fortunate to have the same happen for us.

((((hugs))))

bnoonan
06-23-2003, 07:01 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! HOW EXCITING AND FREE AND NO COMMISSION!!! Fantastic.

Mo - it's going to be busy for you but I know you can handle it. Will you need to paint more or just frame what you have? Check out the expense of framing things before you decide to paint even more pieces - that would be my tip of the day.

Ok, I have to ask some questions....

What is a DH (is that Dear Husband?) I've been wracking my brain trying to figure it out for awhile now.

Also... what's a brown Mac?

Help - I'm just a Yank.

Barb

guilliame
06-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Hey Mo,what fabulous news,i am so excited for you both and i'm so sure it will be a success,i can see your pics in the local paper already:clap:D be sure to post photo updates,cant think of anythiing that DS's BRIAN hasn't thought of except to get in touch with tom jones to get back to wales.:D

Mo.
06-23-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm still here, I'm all of a buzz.:D

Now I'll try to be calm and answer you.... Kat..we will have a meeting with the enterprise people to discus what we need, I've already briefly gone into this, so hopefully no probs, also with transporting and unloading the 'wares' I will certainly keep you all updated of the trials and tribulations.... or should that be troubulations:D

Barb.... Thankyou... I'm so over the moon... can't you tell? :D..... DH ... you got it in one..... Brown mac... it's a type of long raincoat ............... it's what Flasher's over here usual wear.... ummm before flashing their wares.:D:D:D.... you know what I mean? LOL!.... don't you get dirty old men flashing over there in Yank land?

Mo.:)

Mo.
06-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Guilly... thanks... hey Tom Jones.... I wonder if he's into this sort of art... I know he likes a wildlife :D

CarlyHardy
06-23-2003, 11:51 PM
MO!! this is all so exciting! Do keep us updated...but we'll know that you're spending all your waking moments framing and painting and getting ready for the show if we don't see you online.

Get out your address book and invite everybody you know!! A simple opening announcement for the show (postcards are great for this!) will get everyone there. And have plenty to hand out every time you get the chance...also flyers for bulletin boards, art groups, and don't overlook local bookstores/art shops, etc!

You can't advertise too much!
carly

(I'm partial to the yellow macs, meself)

angecald
06-24-2003, 01:08 AM
CONGRATULATIONS, MO! :clap: :clap: :clap:
What a wonderful opportunity for you! I've been thinking it's a shame your work doesn't get out more. Between you and your daughter, you'll have a great show. No advice to give other than what you've already got from better "Brians" than mine. Call everybody you ever heard of to attend because it really is a morale booster when they turn up. It will be a busy summer for you, but exciting too. Keep us posted.

reynolds
06-24-2003, 01:32 AM
this is a really cool thing and www.vistaprint.com has great prices on cards and post cards....phew i am tired and i am just reading all of the suggestions...

i am also in awe as it is such an exciting place to be...:D :clap:

soap
06-24-2003, 03:31 AM
OOHHHHOOOOOOOO..........I am so excited! This great. FINALLY.......people get to see those wonders you do with pastel........I wanna see - I wanna see!! Ohh........if only.....Dawn already gave you loads of good ideas. DO get business cards or flyers or anything that people can take home (with a piccy of one of your paintings on it) and do advertise anywhere and everywhere in any way you can. I'll even advertise for you if I see a chance. This is SO great! You've GOT to keep us posted and please take loads of piccies!!
Oh, we're all dead jealous of course! Mo's in business!

Can I sing too now........:music::music:....?!:music:
No more 'blues' for you! The weekly thread has now officially changed to oranges, yellows and reds! ha!

angeline
06-24-2003, 04:02 AM
Mo this is wonderfull news for you and how lucky are the people that can get to see all your work!
I might just see if i can get hubby to drive us that far when we get back if it's still happening.
Not got any brill suggestions like Dawn.........but wish you all the success in the world.

jackiesimmonds
06-24-2003, 04:04 AM
Mo - how terrific - now you really MUST work on getting people in there, it all depends on how much energy you put into it.

I really recommend that you give out flyers to EVERYONE you can - I printed off loads on my computer, A5 size, and gave out, literally, hundreds. I took them to local clubs and societies - Rotary, Womens groups, stuff like that.

Also I asked every good friend to give me a list of THEIR friends. At least 10 or more names and addresses each. Then, I sent out invitations to every single one, with a little note to say that Gina had given me your address, or Joan had given me your address, etc. If you ask 10 friends, and they each give you 10 names of people you do not know, suddnely you have 100 names to write to!

Then, ask every good friend, and family member, to bring at least 2, or better still 4, people, to the private view. People are often happyto come themselves, but seldom think to invite others for you unless you nag them to do so.

Type out a little story about yourself, and your background and present-day commitment to art, and send it to the local paper. They love it if the story is all written for them! Don't just invite them to the show. Same with the local radio station.

Invite some gallery owners. You might find that you will subsequently be invited to exhibit with them.

Go to local estate agents, and ask them to give flyers to people who are moving into new homes. Tell them you will give them a commission if you sell to one of their clients! That encourages them to give out the flyers.

If you need the name of a good framer who can send you ready-made frames and mounts, very inexpensive, so that you can drop work into the things yourself and tape up the backs, try BJR Framing - 01924 479179. I've used Richard a lot, his frames are well made and sturdy, and it's a darn sight cheaper than using a local framer.

Don't know if the organisers will allow it, but unframed work in a browser always sells well, people like to think they are getting a bargain. You could even put prints into mounts (email [email protected] for a catalogue) with nice cellophane envelopes, I do this a lot and they are SO popular.

Good luck Mo - you deserve success.

Jackie:clap:

gredelin
06-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Congratulations! What a great opportunity!
You'll do extraordinarily well, I'm sure.
/Gunilla

Redsy333
06-24-2003, 06:40 AM
EXCELLENT My freind!!

Suggestion #1: Make Dawn do all your footwork..hehe , have her help ya hang the work, and hand out flyers;) :D:D:D:D

Suggestion#2: since its all free... does this mean you can send me a plane ticket to fly over for a view??lol

Suggestion#3: Take a deep Breath, have fun and enjoy !!:D You will do fine and Im sure you will make a great show!

Chelle
06-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Congratulations Mo! It's wonderful news.

meowmeow
06-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Wow! That is really exciting news! I am so glad for you MO! I am not surprised they want your work though.
NOw...you better get working. You have been given lots of wonderful tips for bringing in tons of people to buy your excellent paintings!
Good luck..keep us posted!

Sandy

butterfly
06-24-2003, 08:20 AM
CONGRATULATIONS MO !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: TO YOU AND YOUR DAUGHTER ....

What exciting news, this is better than I anticipated by your hints in previous threads ....

Looks like you both have a very busy next two months ... can't wait to see the pictures ....

( Hope the gallery is accessible to all our wetcanvas friends in England area ) ... gosh to be independently wealthy to have access to planes or just tickets to Europe so I can go .... who knows I can wish can't I ... LOL

Mo your work is so beautiful ... you definitely deserve this!

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS ....

B/Roni

BTDogMom
06-24-2003, 10:44 AM
CONGRATULATIONS, MO!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful!!

Dyin
06-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Wow, Mo...just saw this...how wonderful for you and well deserved! I was going to suggest the newspaper, but of course Jackie had that covered...you can print up business cards yourself...they are really quite easy and they have stock where the cards peel off so there's no messy edges and quite nice stock...you can one of your pieces on it...great advertising. And mucho cheaper than having them done...plus you don't have to run off more than you want and can change any information when wanted. Have a stack of them on a table along with an informative flyer about the gallery work for your gala opening...did anyone mention asking any local interior designers to the show? They would fall in the same category as the real estate people...you could offer them a commission also...as for hanging your work, be careful not to let them compete with each other for importance, go about it just like you would do a composition for a painting....tho you probably already know all that. Also don't know who will be manning the place when it's open...you should think about doing some work on site if it's you...people seem to love to buy what they see being created in front of their eyes...and it's very good for commissions. I'm really thrilled for you...:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Redsy333

Suggestion #1: Make Dawn do all your footwork..hehe , have her help ya hang the work, and hand out flyers;) :D:D:D:D

lol, well thanks for volunteering me :p :D .... Unfortunately I live too far away ....... but Im doing my bit :)

...... Prob wont have time for this..... but just some more thoughts...... as on Ebay and other stores..... get your art work printed onto......

T-Shirts
Jig Saw Puzzles
Mugs
Bags
Clocks
Drink Mats

things like that

Mo.
06-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Gosh you folks are so blooming marvellous, I've been jotting down all your great ideas and suggestions, many I would not have thought of.... how can I fail with you lot behind me egging me on and supporting me every step of the way, you may not realise what a wonderful boost you have all given me, but believe me you have. Thankyou all very, very much.

Well thanks to Dawn, I now have my business cards sorted, so that's one job crossed of my never ending list.

Don't worry Redsy, I'm working her guts out at the moment..:D :evil: :D ... she's an excellent work horse too, I just give her a nosebag now and then and off she goes on her ever cheerful way. :D:D

Sorry folks but the 'FREE' unfortunately doesn't stretch to air tickets, wish it did. ;)

I'll keep you updated from time to time as long as you are interested.

Thanks again everyone.

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-24-2003, 06:14 PM
hmmmmmmm ...... funny how you can go off people so suddenly

:D :evil:

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Ooops!!! :D :D thought you were asleep. :D

Dark_Shades
06-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Ha! Ha!....... obviously not :p :) lolol :angel:

soap
06-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Behave my friends.......:angel:

Mo.
06-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Yes Ma'am. :angel: :D

Mikki Petersen
06-25-2003, 01:14 AM
OMG, Mo.! I'm thinking about all your beautiful paintings and your daughter's stunning masks and I can just imagine what a mind boggling presentation they will make. Yes, yes! concentrate on getting an audience through the gallery! I know nothing about any of this EXCEPT what stands out for me when gallery hopping.

Don't crowd the work! Give each piece room to shine. Better to have a sampling of wonderful work than to crowd in everything you've ever done and have the viewer's eyes overwhelmed. When I go into a gallery, if each piece is given space, I will stop and really appreciate each work. If the gallery is jammed with tons of works, I sort of skim over everything looking for something that will wstop my eye. Better, in my opinion, to hqave viewers appreciate your skill and creativity for future commissions than to sell existing work (not that there is anything wrong with selling everything!).

Best of luck (but you won't need it)! You are a tremendous artist and it's time to be recognized!

rwhale
06-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Congratulations, Mo!! This is great news!

-Roger

Smudger
06-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Congrats Mo... wish i could come

Dima
06-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Congrats, Mo!
And good luck (and sales) with the show.
Pity you're a few miles too far away from here.

Dick