GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: dragon
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
been trying to work on the male form and finding it difficult ... this is my way of dealing with that

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
all thoughts welcome, always

Coen1
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I like the scene. Male form is visible in the dragon, male behaviour as well. He's rather possessive, but she doesn't seem to care. Great fantasy!
In colours and contrast you may dare more, as far as I'm concerned.:) in this sort of work, but again I realize this is not an objective statement. The comb (is this the right word?) on the back of the dragon is similar coloured as the air behind it is.
I love painters using their imagination. You certainly did (well)!

birdhs
06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Well! This is a departure for you! I also like artists who think out of the box.

In agreement with stronger value contrasts, but that is all I would change. This also strikes me as the title for a mythic romance novel with a twist...hmmmm...

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye, Greg

Andrewcody
06-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Hi La
A Chinese Dragon? No wings so suspect it must be a Water Dragon of some sort.

I am not going to comment on the painterly qualities. Your paintings always evoke questions on the story being told and this is another painting which will probably do the same.

Is she the Damsel waiting for the Hero, or is she going to seduce and dispatch this Worm herself?

Andrew

La_
06-15-2012, 01:24 PM
thanks guys

contrast, yeah, is my biggest challenge with brush paintings
calling the 'comb' transparent ... calling the dragon, billy and i've no idea what kind of dragon he is! calling them equals, tho i don't know what power she might have over him, something mysterious and dragon controlling, lol

la

birdhs
06-15-2012, 04:18 PM
don't know what power she might have over him, something mysterious and dragon controlling, lol

it's that "girl" thang, just makes males follow them around...the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.....

tgsloth
06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
By your standards I find this a little sloppy:
The thickness of the path to the castle shrinks too quickly
The ochre cloud form emerges from the woman's head
Her thigh is too rectangular
What's going on with all the vertical swipes in the castle?

eyecandy2
06-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Gosh, you must think that we men are monsters. Actually, the male form is no different from any other form. You paint well and I'm sure that you can paint a male if you want to. Something in your head? I do give you credit for being imaginative. It seem to me that you are having more trouble with the female form here. She needs some fixing. Her arm and leg don't look right. Her arm is too thin and the hand is in a very unnatural position and not perticularly well formed. You have also neglected the shadows. Where is the light souce. It appears like it is coming from the upper left. If so, there would be a shadow coming off of her right leg. I also think that you need a greater range of values. Interesting painting

La_
06-17-2012, 01:31 PM
thanks bob, you're right and i've worked it some more, will try to post an image this afternoon.

phil, haha, men are monsters! well, some of them anyway ... the dragon came about i think because it's a 'bear of a job' to paint men, but i didn't want to paint a bear ... and yeah, of course i can do it, it's just going to take some time and practice ... i'll note all your tweak thoughts along with final(?) tweaks this afternoon, thanks.

la