PDA

View Full Version : Out to Namibia

AntonioBernal
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-14-2012/1056932_Out_to_Namibia.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Out to Namibia
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've just finished this illustration, I wanted to leave the landscape a bit looser than my usual style, not sure if I managed to get it right...I had fun painting the dunes, also using a somehow limited palette of yellows and blues made this one an interesting illustration to work on.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm not too happy about the sky in general, not sure how much I can change of it at this stage as the paper doesn't seem to allow much more work on it...would love to hear your opinion about it.

Any comments and critiques most welcome! :)

Coen1
06-14-2012, 05:55 PM
I love your work! You did a great job in making an interesting subject (balloon) and a 'supporting' and interesting background. Your art is very illustrative, suitable for for instance magazines or books. But one on a wall would be great as well!
To me there's nothing wrong with the air.

tgsloth
06-15-2012, 07:28 AM
As Coen says you're painting in an "illustrator" style and this can be charming but if your ambition is to be more painterly, I think you should work on your edges. They're generally abrupt and with respect to the baloon and figure, you've actually placed black lines around everything. Even the shadow has sharp edges. Of course, watercolors are hard to fix but you can use a scrubber brush on the edges and you might get an improvement. I think you will. In the sky, the only issue I see is that the dark bottoms of the cloulds are too dark compared to the tops of the cloud. Again, a little scrubbing is needed to blend.

AntonioBernal
06-16-2012, 06:01 AM
@ Coen, thank you for your nice comments! You are right, although my artwork was conceived as standalone pieces, they are very illustrative, both style and composition wise, however, I'm selling them as art prints and people seem to like them to frame and hang up on a wall, which I think it's great. I haven't actually thought of using them to illustrate anything...yet.

@TG Thanks, that's some good advice if I was pursuing realism, or painterly style, which I'm not. I do appreciate and learn from any kind of comments, no matter which angle they are provided from, but if I get rid of the lines, and the illustrative style...then it wouldn't be me, or the series would lose its spirit and mood, which I'm really enjoy to work on. I'm not going to scrub the lines or the sharp edges, if I would, it would end up looking like a painting...probably very much like any other painting you could find out there...I'm not saying I'm just using lines to be original, that's the way I conceived my artwork and I think it's very valid. I think you are critiquing illustrations from a painter point of view, which is OK up to some point, but I think it would be best if you'd adjust your feedback to the style of the artwork you are commenting on. You are right about the clouds though, I will try to soften the lower, darker part of them, I think it will look better that way :)

Thanks both again!

Antonio

lunchbox
06-17-2012, 12:13 AM
The bottom of the basket to our right is about touching the dune under it which may be grounding the balloon a bit, lightening up the dune may add to the distance between them. Love the style of this work :)

XOXO_ash
06-17-2012, 02:08 AM
This is so beautiful! I struggle with getting such detail into my own watercolors. If you did more work like this, I think it would be interesting if you made the background even softer. I think it would really emphasize the foreground and how good you are at detail!

AntonioBernal
06-18-2012, 07:46 AM
@ lunchbox Thanks, glad you like the style! You are right, the balloon seems to be too low...not sure that's safe! LoL I will try to soften the tones of that dune to see if it pushes back a little bit, thanks for the tip!

@ XOXO_ash Thank you. I think you are right, the background could be softer and I think it would look nicer, I will see what I can do about it...!

:)

Antonio