PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 23rd - 29th June.

Mo.
06-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone..

Summer is in full swing now, had some fierce electric storms today which kept me off the computer.

Last weeks thread was a gigantic success, loads, and loads of beautiful paintings...... I had a hard time catching up on you all ... We are now into the 19th week of this very popular thread.... that's almost 5 months and still going strong!

It's wonderful to see everyone taking part, producing more and more excellent work, and how the work has improved over those 19 weeks, Kudos to all, long may this continue.

Down to the nitty gritty.... what this thread is all about:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

The main idea is to practice sketching quickly , you can always finish your piece later...

Last week I suggested a theme... the hot colours of Summer, bear in mind this is only my suggestion, not compulsory in anyway, you paint what you want, but for those who may want an idea, then this week how about a blue week? 'cos I'm feeling blue. :D

Sketch/paint anything in shades of blue? Using some complementaries here and there. Just a suggestion, no more than that.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them.

Link to last weeks wonderful paintings:_

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113835

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 08:37 AM
its lunch break here........ just singing

:music: one, two, three,......... 'bumps' a daisy :D

sundiver
06-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Last week I was grumbling about roses and someone, I think it was Mo, said to post them anyway. So what the heck- we can't have successes all the time, But, ugh.
The scan is tiny because the classroom scanner is the world's slowest; unbelieveably slow, so I make the files small. And maybe it will diminish the overall ugliness somewhat.

Mo.
06-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Dawn ... you are a nutter, but a nice one :D

Wendy...there's nowt ugly about your roses, small is beautiful you know ;)

Glad you kick started the thread and posted them.

Cheers
Mo.

Craig Houghton
06-23-2003, 10:35 AM
So what the heck- we can't have successes all the time, But, ugh.

Sundiver - That's a terribly complicated subject and although the pic is super-small, I think it looks great. Just think of how good the stuff you consider non-successful is -- that's saying a lot!

-----------------

I didn't have any lighthouses near me, but I did make use of the pic of one sitting in a coloring book :P It was interesting using a photo ref that didn't have any shading, details or color. I had to sort of work from memory.

6x6 (or so) 45 minutes on colourfix w/ rembrandt and nupastel from my travelling kit (i was at my gf's)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2003/21273-DSC03211.JPG

There's the coloring book reference pic :D It seems a bit comical to work from a coloring book ref, but I wanted a lighthouse :P

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2003/21273-lighthouse.JPG

Craig!

flower
06-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone,

Love the roses, they look antiquie, really nice,
The lighthouse is very majestic, with a beautiful cloudy sky

On friday night my neighbour called me and the kids out about 12.30 at night to see his hedgehog, he picked it up with thick gloves on and i ran to get my camera, it is so beautiful, i havnīt done it justice but i just had to try to paint its face, here he is

angeline
06-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Wow what a start to this week already!

Wendy I like those roses.

Craig ......your trade mark clouds are fantastic!That is a fab picture...i love lighthouses.

Flower.....i can make out that cute little face .......wd!

Dawn......glad i'm not the only one who sits singing.....*........one day i'l flyyyyyyyyyyyy awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy..........*

OOOOhhhhhh 6 days to go!

Craig Houghton
06-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks angeline. they are getting kinda trademark by now aren't they :)

Originally posted by flower
Hi everyone,

On friday night my neighbour called me and the kids out about 12.30 at night to see his hedgehog, he picked it up with thick gloves on and i ran to get my camera, it is so beautiful, i havnīt done it justice but i just had to try to paint its face, here he is

That's so cute and prickly! Fantastic as-is -- you did it justice!

Craig

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton

Sundiver - That's a terribly complicated subject and although the pic is super-small, I think it looks great. Just think of how good the stuff you consider non-successful is -- that's saying a lot!

-----------------

I didn't have any lighthouses near me, but I did make use of the pic of one sitting in a coloring book :P It was interesting using a photo ref that didn't have any shading, details or color. I had to sort of work from memory.

6x6 (or so) 45 minutes on colourfix w/ rembrandt and nupastel from my travelling kit (i was at my gf's)

There's the coloring book reference pic :D It seems a bit comical to work from a coloring book ref, but I wanted a lighthouse :P

Craig!

what a brilliant idea......... and how wonderful it turned out..... congrats :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone,

what a darling little painting....... its delightful :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by angeline

Dawn......glad i'm not the only one who sits singing.....*........one day i'l flyyyyyyyyyyyy awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy..........*

OOOOhhhhhh 6 days to go!

lol Hayley........ I lie..... hee hee, I dont sing...... I just pretend I do...... but you dont know that lol ;)

angeline
06-23-2003, 11:57 AM
OMG! I really do sit singing!.............LOL :p

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 12:11 PM
* gIGGLES :D

sundiver
06-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone,On friday night my neighbour called me and the kids out about 12.30 at night to see his hedgehog, he picked it up with thick gloves on and i ran to get my camera, it is so beautiful, i havnīt done it justice but i just had to try to paint its face, here he is

so cute!
We had a raccoon in the house last night. It was not invited, just popped in the open back door to sample the cat food. It didn't stick around for a photo opportunity, tho'.

E-J
06-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Wendy, I'm afraid I can't see the ugliness you claim is in your picture! Is this the oil pastels as usual?

Craig, lovely interpretation of the lighthouse and an interesting exercise ... I wouldn't have had a clue how to tackle the rocks!

Pat, this is my favourite sketch of yours so far :clap: Really cute. I like the style: loose yet delicate.

Here's mine for tonight, 40 mins, another attempt to work loosely and experiment with different pastel marks. There's blue in the fabric and it's done on complementary orange paper, so it even fits Mo's suggested theme :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2003/13865-goblet.jpg

flower
06-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi there..................

Thanks Angeline, Sundiver, Craig, Dawn, for looking and commenting, it was so nice to see this little cutie in real life, i wouldnīt have picked it up for a 1,000 euros, ugh, but my neighbour had the gloves so it was ok...............LOL
Appropo, I donīt sing i talk ...........to meself...............is that normal???????????????????

Mo.
06-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Craig ... that's a smashing lighthouse you've painted, what a terrific atmosphere with those broody storm clouds, love your reference source too :D Brill!

Flower: What a cute little darling of a face...pity he's too prickly to cuddle :)

E-J: Thought you were gadding around the world... not seen you for a while. :D

It's a super, goblet, great colours and reflections...and it does fit the theme, ... Love it. :)

You are all going great guns... keep 'em coming! :)

cheers,
Mo.

Vegas Art Guy
06-23-2003, 05:44 PM
"Appropo, I donīt sing i talk ...........to meself...............is that normal???????????????????"... lol only if you start to argue and lose! :D All right I'll give this a shot. I'll do some small timed works while I'm on vacation and then post them for you...

flower
06-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi again,

Does he really look prickly Mo, i hope he does, cos he was, Iīm, going into your blue theme now Mo..................

Vegas Art Guy, keep going and sending what ever you do were all interested.................................

E-J, thankyou so much for your comment and i love your goblet,

Dark_Shades
06-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Vegas Art Guy
"Appropo, I donīt sing i talk ...........to meself...............is that normal???????????????????"... lol only if you start to argue and lose! :D All right I'll give this a shot. I'll do some small timed works while I'm on vacation and then post them for you...

lolol

Ej ...... love the metal of the goblet

Mo.
06-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Vegas Art Guy

Perfectly normal.... I do it all the time...and answer back and argue and lose.... The white coat brigade will be coming knocking on my door anyday now! :D:D.... I even try to sing on times...hahahah!

Mo.

Mo.
06-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi again,

Does he really look prickly Mo, i hope he does, cos he was, Iīm, going into your blue theme now Mo..................

He sure does..... looking forward to your blue painting.... but I'm not feeling blue anymore. :D:D

Mo.

Craig Houghton
06-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Thanks mo and everyone for the comments :D

btw, here's a quick something blue

this is mostly unison and schmincke except for the BLUES!! I made those at home. my homemade pastels attempt (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115395)

3 x 5 on cardboard primed with colourfix -- 15 minutes not counting the time it took to prime the cardboard

they're supposed to be thematically blue sunflowers . they're vaguely from a photo ref

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2003/21273-sunflowers.JPG

Yes, that's my thumb w/ pigment under the nail.

-Craig

Craig Houghton
06-24-2003, 03:17 PM
btw, anyone using the colourfix primers extensively(not the paper)? i've been using it almost exclusively, but unless I stretch the paper first I find that most papers eventually seem to curl a bit once they've been primed. I suppose stretching isn't all that bothersome, and I certainly could just buy the 300lb stuff, but I was wondering if anyone else has used hardwood boards or matte board etc.

I should probably put this in it's own thread, but it's just a passing wonderance. I'm sick of even heavy bristol curling :P out of annoyance just sanded down thin plywood -- if that curls I'm going to just start painting on the walls :)

-Craig

flower
06-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi there,

Heres a pic i did today took me 45 minutes in all with couple of breaks, done in schminke pastels, this one is for Mo, hope you like it!!!!

Thanks for the idea just to work in blue, it really helps to get to know the different blues i have, ok i used white too but didnīt know how to get the shadowing just in blues??????????

sundiver
06-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Craig, love the lighthouse, and ..-should they be moonflowers now?:) BTW I use pastel primer but it's Golden brand, not colorfix; couldn't find Colorfix even online in Canada.
I put it on matboard and watercolor paper. It doesn't curl the matboard at all, and barely on the wc paper (140 lb), not enough to matter. I've only had the primer for a couple of weeks and think I'm going to be using it a lot. It's clear, so nice on the colored matboard, but I've also mixed it with white and black gesso and acrylic paint.

E-J that goblet is awesome!

Flower, white doesn't "count" as a separate color when you are working in monochrome, so go for it! Lovely job!

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:11 PM
Great sunflowers Craig... and you made your own pastels too... WOW!! Kudos to you, I'll check out your thread shortly.

cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi there,

Heres a pic i did today took me 45 minutes in all with couple of breaks, done in schminke pastels, this one is for Mo, hope you like it!!!!

Thanks for the idea just to work in blue, it really helps to get to know the different blues i have, ok i used white too but didnīt know how to get the shadowing just in blues??????????

Aww Patricia, thankyou, it's so lovely

A little tip, to enhance the shadows when using just blues add some complentary dark orange into the shadows. :)

Mo.

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Craig I have used the Art Spectrum primer on watercolour paper, it did curl a little, but the next time I taped it down with masking tape and it was okay...... it dries very quickly, but I assisted the drying time with my hairdryer. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

flower
06-24-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi,

Thankyou sundiver for looking and your comments,

Mo thanks for the tip iīll try that with my next blue pic this week, great idea, its really motivating to try just one colour...............

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:58 PM
You can also use your neutral blue/greys too, don't be afraid to use the comp colours it will give it punch.

good luck,
Mo.

sundiver
06-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Getting into the "blue" theme, I sat on the back deck with my pastels and a photo I took at the cottage last week, and sketched these grape hyacinths. I was accompanied by a deer in the yard and a bluejay sampling the cat's food. 5x7, soft pastels, 1/2 hr
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2003/6393-grapehyacinth.jpg

Mo.
06-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful..... you have also painted a lovely scenario with your words, the wildlife surrounding you whilst you paint.... Oooh heck I'm getting all mushy ;) You know what I mean though.. time I slept.

I do love this painting... and oh so tiny too. WOW!!

Night, folks.
Mo.

flower
06-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Hi again,

Just done another blue, with a bit of orange and grey blue and of course whzte LOL, its on watercolour mat paper, size 11,8 x 15,7 in, it took me just under 60 mins, any comments as to how it could look better please,

Anodyne
06-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton

-----------------

Craig!

"the apocolypse is coming" says the little man standing on the rock.

hee hee

sundiver
06-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Today I decided I didn't like yesterday's grape hyacinth- pasty and lifeless. So I washed it off- it left a ghost picture- and re-did it.
Still no masterpiece but I'm happier with it.

flower
06-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi Sundiver,

Yes i like the second one better, i think it has more vibrance to it, iīve checked it a few times up and down, up and down and i think it definately looks different.........but...........thatīs my personal opinion..............................

sundiver
06-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Patricia!
Hey guys, I found a new project that's perfect for the Weekly Sketches contributors! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=462

It's for a "modern still life" using modern household stuff, preferably from life. I immediately thought of E-J's recent contributions. I ran up to the kitchen, and there, right beside the dirty dishes I have yet to wash, was...the toaster! In the fridge, I had to overlook the pears, but found...plastic-wrapped cheese slices! 45 minutes later, I had this:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2003/6393-toasterandcheese.jpg
5x7 o.p.s on black (on the back of one of last week's sketches lol)

It was fun. The cheese ia a weird color and the foreshortening is off.

angecald
06-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Well, you've not seen much from me the last couple of weeks but I've been doing sketches whenever I can, between work and the weather.

Today there's an Excessive Heat warning out in Ottawa but down here by the river it's not that bad. I saw a deer, a loon, and a heron while I was out.

These sketches I'm posting are last week's, when it was still raining. The sunny one was done when the sun popped out for half an hour.

I've tried to keep them in order but have no faith that I was successful.

This post is for my pictures. I haven't looked at everybody else's yet, so I'll be back after I've viewed the whole thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2003/17105-FARRANPT.1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2003/17105-SUMACHTRAIL.1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2003/17105-ISLAND1.1.JPG

angecald
06-25-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm back! What a great week this has been for the thread.

Flower, I love the hedgehog. Good for you for thinking of sketching it! In your seascape, you might find it helps to place the whitecaps in groups, and make the marks within the groups different sizes. Also, the nearer groups can be larger than the ones far away. Water is a challenge but it's endlessly fascinating isn't it?

Craig, I like your idea of working from coloring book pictures. They are already simplified, so you avoid the temptation to put too much in. I also enjoyed your pastel-making thread. I've been dying to try that myself, especially since I never seem to have enough blues and greens. Haven't been able to locate gum tragacanth but I'll try the health food stores since you found it there.

E-J, the wine-glass is a great success. The gold looks real.

Sundiver, your second grape-hyacinths picture really pops. Quite lovely. Just shows how useful it is to do a study first (or to keep trying when you don't like the first one). I have no doubt you can do roses. You're the best apple-painter I've EVER seen, and roses and apples are in the same family botanically!:) Oh, and that modern still-life - I love that. I'll be going nuts trying to think of anything that will look half so good.

E-J
06-26-2003, 04:12 AM
Agnes, you've done some lovely work there.

Wendy, I noticed that Project and I too was reminded of my hairbrush and sandals sketches ... your entry is terrific! I think I'll sign up and give it a go this w/e, as I have some free time and am in dire need of inspiration with my still lifes: trying to compose 'classic' or conventional arrangements with my apples, pears, goblets and fabric isn't getting me very far at the moment.

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Well I'm slow to catch up but I'm finally around again this week. Boy I forgot how valuable these things are.

Here's two 25 minute pieces. Forgive the lack of imagination in the composition.

Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13264-20min2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13264-20-min1.jpg

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Patricia, I remember seeing a hedgehog once in New Zealand and thinking it was really cool but I don't remember any of them looking that cute - glad you painted it!!!

Your anenome - blue flower - is also quite wonderful. Blue shadows are tough alright.

Sundiver - Great group of colors but a lot to tackle in a short painting.

Love the toaster and the reflections and the bottle and the cheese slices. Just love the composition!!!!!!!! Well done!!!

Those are grape hyacinths from your yard are they? Are they really only just in bloom now? Ours have been gone for months and months.

Craig - love the lighthouse. I need to paint a few of those myself - you really have got a fine handle on those pastels and the textures you achieve with your strokes.

And you finally used your new pastels on that sunflower - nicely done. good choice of colors on that!!!

Ange - lovely landscapes. You make them look so easy and simple to paint - how is that?

E-J - great job on the goblet and the reflections. It's amazing how different it can be with layering on top of complimentary colors isn't it.

P

flower
06-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Want to thank you all for your comments on my pics, i also want to say iīve enjoyed looking at what everyone else has done, the goblet is just beautiful, so are the landscapes, the lighthouse, the food in the bowl, the hyacinth and of course the cheese slices, i learn so much from this thread iīm glad i found it.............

E-J
06-26-2003, 05:02 PM
The Brits here should recognise this little fella as a Clanger :) he's just a 20-minute quickie in my pastel sketchbook.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13865-clanger.jpg

Great to see Barb back in here :clap:

E-J
06-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Here's another one I forgot to post.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13865-brass3.jpg

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm feeling at a total disadvantage. First you guys talk funny and now you introduce odd characters that I don't recognize. Hmmm....

I'd tell you it looks exactly like the little bugger - but I'd be lying - since I don't have a clue what it's supposed to look like.

B:rolleyes:

Oh - but I do recognize the brass piece and like it a lot.

barb

flower
06-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Hi again,

E-J love your latest brass pic,
the little character i donīt know, maybe iīve been away from England too long, but................he certainly looks cheeky LOL

Mo.
06-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Wow! Look at you guys go...
Patricia, love your soft sunny seascape.... makes me think of holidays. :)

Wendy.......your re-do is popping, loved the first one, this one has more stuffing to it...super- duper...... your toaster still life is great, what an original idea, specially like the the slices of bread and those great reflections.

Well done Agnes.... you've been busy, I do like the sky in the last one.

Whoohoo Barbs. :) great to see you in here... but I'm a little puzzled... hope I'm right in saying it's a plate of eggs?.... errr...you yanks have strange ways.......you crack your eggs with a nutcracker? :D:D

E-J I remember the Clangers T.V series, Michael Bentine was the voice behind ... hilarious series, mind you I was just a kid at the time. ;) :D:D... great stuff, your painting I mean, I recognise that gold vase too, love the blue and gold, great colours

I'm feeling at a total disadvantage. First you guys talk funny and now you introduce odd characters that I don't recognize. Hmmm....

I'd tell you it looks exactly like the little bugger - but I'd be lying - since I don't have a clue what it's supposed to look like.

'Scuse me Barb.. WE .... talk funny?

:eek: :p :D ;)

Queen's English here, if you don't mind:D Well some times. ;)
As for E-J's Clanger... well he looks like a Clanger should look like!.... now that's confused you even more. LOLOL!

Mo.

flower
06-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Hi Mo,

Thanks for taking the time to comment............................

.................Wish i knew what a clanger was supposed to look like LOL

angeline
06-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi here a tad on the drunken sid eof things............but yes he does look like a clanger!////wd! :clap:

Craig Houghton
06-26-2003, 08:14 PM
thanks everyone for the comments - it's very encouraging

also

sundiver "Craig, love the lighthouse, and ..-should they be moonflowers now?" - I named it Table with Moonflowers now :P

Thank you very much for the primer tips! i haven't tried matboard yet, and i really should stop being cheap and get good watercolor paper :) btw colourfix primer selling catalogs or sites won't ship to canada?

also, the hyacinths are fantastic. i think the redo _is_ a masterpiece :P i love it, and i love the added color and highlights too.

and, amazing reflection in the toaster, and the bread w/ that texture looks great - edible even. blackberry jam would be better for me though ;)

Mo - thank you for the comment about using my pastels on the flowers - it was fun! now i'm afraid to use them up :P

also, thank you for the priming tips too -- i never thought of a hairdryer - i love shortcuts :)

flower - i love the highlights on the waves in your seascape :) contrast is really a favorite element of mine

sonia - ""the apocolypse is coming" says the little man standing on the rock. " :P lol, yeah i really love the dramatic cloud stuff - i know there are other cloud formations out there, but these are the ones i like in rl too - puffy clouds with strong definition late in the day or early in the morning with strong long shadows, and you, of course

angecald

they're all great, but the second landscape, with the little tree, is fantastic. the patch of light green grabs my attention and turns
it to the trail in a really pleasant walking-along sort of way :)

also, let me know if you can't find the gum trag. there's some places i found online.

bnoonan - the bulldog clips in the egg bowl definitely gets the 'best still life in the thread' award from me - i love it. i keep conceptualizing them in action on the eggs and vice versa - it's dangerous just having the clip near the eggs :P

E-J - a clanger? eghads. whatever it is, it's a great rendering :)

and

love the brass. there's a little world going on in the lower reflection :)

amazing stuff everyone :)

-Craig

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Ooops - sorry Mo - forgot my slang isn't the same as yours. My apologies. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

:eek: barb

bnoonan
06-26-2003, 08:38 PM
here are some quick one's I'm working on for a show. They are only 5"x 7" in size and took about 30 minutes at most.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13264-bouys.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13264-dorryemail.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/13264-sunset.jpg

Thanks for being my audience.

Barb

little dreamer
06-26-2003, 09:38 PM
posted in the wrong forum, sorry.

sundiver
06-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Wow, what a busy week we are having! Wonderful landscapes, seascapes, still lifes, (ahem) clangers, blue figures, florals, we're having a little Renaissance here after some quiet weeks!
Here's a little 40-minute plein aire attempt from this evening. I don't know what the heck I'm doing, not that that will stop me lol.
The boats are white, but were backlit so looked very dark to me, no idea what color to use on them (so I put most of them on!:D)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2003/6393-rowingclubevening.jpg
I cross-posted in the plein aire forum, asking for advice.

Craig, our dollar plus duty plus customs-broker fees make cross-border ordering prohibitively expensive.( Also, I hear some US companies refuse to sell to Canadians nowadays, for political reasons, since the Iraq thing started.) So I only order from the US if I absolutely can't get it here, like Terry Ludwig pastels.

Barb, that still life with the tongs would fit right into the "Modern Still Life" project!
E-J, Barb, little dreamer, Agnes - have I left anyone out?- super work!!

E-J
06-27-2003, 03:44 AM
Great stuff Barb! Sorry for confusing you :D This link should demystify the Clangers for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/clangers/index.shtml

They were characters in a BBC tv series when I was a child. They are basically knitted aliens :) A small soft toy Clanger sits on the shelf of our living room so I decided to sketch him.

And you can say 'bugger' as many times as you like! You won't offend me :D

Mo.
06-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Ooops - sorry Mo - forgot my slang isn't the same as yours. My apologies. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

barb

Hey Barb, I was having a bit of fun with you, you haven't offended me or anyone...... some of our slang is the same you know;)

Love those three little quickies you've done, when's the show?

Love your little boats Wendy, great stuff.

Cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Mo. 'Scuse me Barb.. WE .... talk funny? Mo.

I just spent several minutes in the Daily Scumble figuring out what "chucking it down" meant. Drinking beer? No, that's "chugging it down" . Being sick? No, that's "up-chucking".
Oh, you mean it's RAINING! LOL! Love it!
I was doing housework, and that makes me grumpy. Susy Homemaker I ain't! So I went to a little park and used my plein-air backpack/stool properly for the first time. It worked very well, and I am no longer grumpy. Here's the result: 45 min, o.p.s on teal matboard, 8x10. Critiques welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2003/6393-Eastriversidepark.jpg
Now to go make supper. I hear the TV on upstairs, and nobody else is home. The dust bunnies are apparently watching Mr. Bean!

Mo.
06-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Hey Wendy... I was just about to toodle off to bed, my dog is eagerly awaiting for me to log off so he can have his nighty night couchy couch. :D...
Chucking as you figured = throwing, very bad english :D:D up- chucking is even worse.....LOL... we would say throwing up........a bit more graphic :D :D... we have another sweet term for raining too... cannot write it here... it starts with the letter P.... Have you noticed too that dear Smudge has altered the the daily scumble to daily scrumble.:)..... Brill!!

Jesting aside now... you've produced another little gem, just wish I had some of your fortitude to produce something everyday as you do , seemingly so easily too.... have a massive artist block at the moment... just when I don't need it... any advice on how to cope with it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
we have another sweet term for raining too... cannot write it here... it starts with the letter P.... [B][QUOTE]

Yeah, we use that one too!:D

[QUOTE] [B] Jesting aside now... you've produced another little gem, just wish I had some of your fortitude to produce something everyday as you do , seemingly so easily too.... have a massive artist block at the moment... just when I don't need it... any advice on how to cope with it would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Mo.

plein aires! Just get out there and sketch! But with no expectations, other than learning. I put acrylic medium over several o.p. sketches thet were less than successful (ok, crappy) and painted on the back. I've done several lately and no-one has paid the slightest attention to me other than to smile or say Hi. (But watch out for strange dogs if you're near the water lol. Wasn't that you who donated your painting to the fish?:D)
Join that Modern Still Life project. That was fun, silly, non-threatening. I may yet do another.

Dark_Shades
06-28-2003, 02:53 AM
Hissing Down :evil: :D

Smudger
06-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Persisting Down?:D

bnoonan
06-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Wendy - great job on that boat and I'm loving the words of encouragement to get us out there and paint from life. We're supposed to go away today to the beach and although I wasn't planning on bringing art supplies - perhaps I'll have to do just that. I'm a sailor of sorts and think you've done well to capture their shape. that rusty shoreline is great.

The wooded scene is also a gem. I especially like the light on the violet flowers in the back. And that path is so inviting.

EJ - I have to say that the more I look at the brass vase the more difficult I think it would be for me. YOu really did an EXCELLENT job creating that difficult shape in such accuracy. Well done. Thanks for the bit on the Clangers.

What is down? the chucking?

Barb

E-J
06-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks so much Barb :)

Originally posted by Mo.
have a massive artist block at the moment... just when I don't need it... any advice on how to cope with it would be appreciated.

Mo ... exactly how I've felt the past couple of weeks ... remarkably uninspired. Just keep pastelling ... sketches for this thread, an entry for the 'modern still life' project, or perhaps browse the older projects for inspiration ... I have no other helpful suggestions I'm afraid ... we've just got to keep painting I guess :)

Dark_Shades
06-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Thanks so much Barb :)

Mo ... exactly how I've felt the past couple of weeks ... remarkably uninspired. Just keep pastelling ... sketches for this thread, an entry for the 'modern still life' project, or perhaps browse the older projects for inspiration ... I have no other helpful suggestions I'm afraid ... we've just got to keep painting I guess :)

Yikes!!! ........ its an epidemic :crying:

Mo.
06-28-2003, 09:19 PM
plein aires! Just get out there and sketch!

I'm not a landscape artist...but I have been sketching/doodling loads of things every day from life... to try and keep the flow... all in graphite in my 'scribbly' sketch book... Wildlife videos on pause for 5 mins...trying my best to compile some ideas, designing notecards, business cards, adverts/flyers...... I'm firing on four cylinders right now... but still haven't come up with a good comp to paint...but ... I have a seedling forming.... starting to sprout. :D

cheers,
Mo.

E-J
06-29-2003, 08:11 AM
... go out in the midday sun :D

We've got stonkingly hot weather here in Cambridge today! The barbecue's still sitting out in the garden from yesterday so I took my pastels outside and plein aired ... came in after an hour, blinded and sunburnt! This is on A4 Ingres.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2003/13865-bbq.jpg

I enjoyed sketching an unusual subject ... am trying to combat my lack of inspiration by remembering that I'm doing this so I can learn to see, rather than to produce great pictures.

Doing these sketches always brings the sense of fun back :)

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Ha! ....... I got the same Barbie EJ lol ..... just come in from garden..... I cant see properly lol ....... blinking hot out there!!!

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Sunbed makes a very good easel :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2003/12116-Sunbed.jpg

E-J
06-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Dawn, that looks suspiciously like an entry for this week's Pastel Riot ... going very well too, from what I can see ... Mrs Speedy :)

I've got pastel dust all over my picnic rug :rolleyes:

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn, that looks suspiciously like an entry for this week's Pastel Riot ... going very well too, from what I can see ... Mrs Speedy :)

I've got pastel dust all over my picnic rug :rolleyes:

Ha! Ha! ....... I got pastel dust over me cozzie :)

bnoonan
06-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Is a cozzie a tea cover?

Ok - Now I find this to be totally educational for me as well EJ. I had not idea barbies looked like that in England - we typically have Webber's. Do you know those? it's a brand name and I'll try to paint one for you if you'd like.

Mo - lucky you sketching daily. I've been working on doing the same with figures and gestural strokes while watching the tv - it's a heck of a challenge.

Dawn - great job on that civil war character. I'll be commenting further in the other thread - but I really like seeing him outside on the chair.

Keep cool you guys - It's dense fog and in the 50's here.

Barb

Dark_Shades
06-29-2003, 12:12 PM
lolol Barb, noooooo thats a tea coSy... ha ha ha...... just imagine me sitting out in my garden in a tea cosy *** Giggling

Cozzie = costume, swim wear :D

dont know what a webber is Barb :) ..... all diff types of Barbies here...... not often we get chance to use them ...... any types lol

Craig Houghton
06-29-2003, 05:50 PM
bnoonan - it looks like it's going to be one heck of a show - congrats! btw that boat is very endearing.

sundiver - "Craig, our dollar plus duty plus customs-broker fees make cross-border ordering prohibitively expensive.( Also, I hear some US companies refuse to sell to Canadians nowadays, for political reasons, since the Iraq thing started.) So I only order from the US if I absolutely can't get it here, like Terry Ludwig pastels. "

eek - where's free-trade when you need it? beautiful plein aire works btw - after my few attempts I have new appreciation :) that path is fantastic. the sunlight through the trees is fantastic - i'm a sucker for dabs of sunlight on a path

e-j - bbq looks reallly great - i love the colors on the ground!

great stuff everyone -- i can't wait to finish the larger work i'm doing at the moment - lots of clouds - i'm a sucker for puffy clouds

-Craig

sundiver
06-29-2003, 06:50 PM
A cozzie is a swimsuit? I don't go in the backyard (garden to you) in my "cozzie" 'cause I'll get bitten by a "mozzie" lol. (In truth it's because I don't want to frighten the wildlife!:D)

Originally posted by Dark_Shades
..... all diff types of Barbies here...... not often we get chance to use them ...... any types lol

Why not? The weather? We use ours year-round; here it is in January:

Dark_Shades
06-30-2003, 03:13 AM
Lololol ..... Wendy...... you go out IN THAT weather!! to BBQ lolol...... and they talk of 'Mad Dogs & Englishmen out in the mid day sun' ... lolol :D