PDA

View Full Version : First go at Oil Pastel

christmascarolnz
06-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Hello. I went to a large art shop while in Auckland (1 1/2hrs drive)
and found the Caran d'ach neopastels you op enthusiasts speak of. I had thought op's were hard and difficult to use - my set being cheap Mungyo ones - but when I had a play in the shop with these other ones I just had to buy some. I bought just the basics white,black,red, yellow, blue, orange, green and brown; figuring I could blend the colours to get what else I needed.
I got out some black sanded paper (after reading Mo's thread) and did the basics in my al-cheapo ones, then went over with the better pastels. I also used Wingel to help blend and play. So, without further ado, here is my first real go.....real-life teddies (bought in Canada) and a light fixed to get a shadow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/4807-teddies.jpg
I like Bill Creevy's style with scumbled colours so I had a play with that as well.
Cheers,
Carol

christmascarolnz
06-22-2003, 07:10 PM
...er, the shadow is in blue and didn't come up so well in the scan.
Carol:rolleyes:

Dyin
06-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Aww, Carol...I can't believe how great these first time OPs are turning out! It came out a little too dark on here so took it to Photoshop...once I gave it a little more brightness the blue shadow showed up just right...the background was neater too! I like the yellow in the white teddy...so what did you think of these OPs? I think you did really great, especially considering how limited your palette was..will we see more??? Hope so...
great job!:clap: :clap: :clap:

christmascarolnz
06-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Dyin, would you mind putting up your better version for me? Please?
I struggled with two things - 1. the still life thing - so far I prefer to use photos and 2. new to the op's.
I have wondered how the artist who has the petportrait site blended her op's and now my questions have been answered by trying the artist quality and very much softer pastels. They make the Mungyo ones seem like hard crayons. I also used a colour shaper to play with blending.
I want to do more with the op's now, but need to buy more.
I see they are cheaper over here than in the US ( if I were to import them).
Thank you for your encouragement.
Carol

Mo.
06-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Carol.. I was just about to log out when I saw your post, so glad I did... This is your first? WOW... it's super... love the subject matter too, the colours show up well on my monitor..but I have recently calibrated it... you've done a marvellous job...did you enjoy the OP's? You say you used sanded paper, was that Art Spectrum?

It's great to know that more and more people are taking to this medium. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
06-22-2003, 08:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/19147-teddies_lightened.JPG

here you go...I don't know if your original is this light, but it does show what you did on my monitor now...Mo...what did you do to calibrate your monitor...I can up my color bit in display...is that what you did???

BTDogMom
06-22-2003, 09:58 PM
AAAAWWWW this is really cute! & very well done! :clap: :clap:

BlueJackal
06-23-2003, 01:46 AM
I went to the local Michaels today, having seen Caran d'ach OP's there before. I get there and they're all gone. I was soooo dissapointed. Back to my cheap ProArt OP's for now ;(

christmascarolnz
06-23-2003, 01:51 AM
Hi Blue J and welcome to wet canvas!
I phoned the art shop I usually deal with in my city and they have them there! Oh duh to me! I won't have to travel or mail order them like I thought I was going to have to. I am definately going to get the set of them - over time of course.
Carol

angeline
06-23-2003, 02:43 AM
This is fab for a first with op's........like the subjest too!
WD:clap:

Vegas Art Guy
06-23-2003, 03:59 PM
That's great, I never thought of doing teddy bears, wonder if my daughter will let me borrow one of hers :). Actually I know she would, on the condition that she gets the drawing... she's pretty sharp for a 6 year old...

Ooh 200 posts....

christmascarolnz
06-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks Angeline and Vegas. The good thing about teddies is that they don't crawl away, don't whinge when you take too long and are generally cute. I have another one that goes with these two, but hubbies' pup got hold of it and it has had the stuffing knocked out of it. - wouldn't make a happy picture.
Carol

amanda
06-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Isn't it fun to use the better quality ones! I like your pic, very playful and fun.

Teddy Bear
06-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Hello again Carol. Your Teddies look great -- from an expert on teddies of course !! :D

I would like to try oil pastels or oil sticks on an oil paint background to paint a figure or still life, thought it might be easier on my cranky farm fingers instead of a paint brush, and received some very good information on the oil forum -- Jamie put me onto the oil pastel thread in the pastel forum of a few months ago, it was really good.

So all I need to do is make a decision and get going when I have finished the oil landscape I am doing at the moment. Mind you nothing happens very fast in my studio :rolleyes:
Happy painting Lee or Teddy Bear, if you prefer :) :)

Redsy333
06-24-2003, 06:46 AM
Beautiful job Carol!!:D:D:D
I love the way you played with the background and scumbled!The colors and application work wonderfully, you did a great job!

Chelle
06-24-2003, 07:44 AM
They really are so cute! I can't believe how good these OP posts are!

christmascarolnz
06-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi Redsy, Lee & Chelle. Thanks for taking a peek. I'm gonna go buy a few more op's today...I get all excited over simple things like oil pastels!
What supports other than art spectrum sanded paper can you use?
Cheers,
Carol

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Carol, you can use OP's on any support...this includes any type of pastel paper, watercolour paper, canvas, canvas boards, wood, velour, metal.......just anything, you can also buy special oil pastel paper, comes in pads and has a linen type finish to it... when I use watercolour paper I usually prime the paper with acrylic primer.... check out this thread, lots of info here for anyone interested in Oil Pastels.

Good luck

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98103

cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
06-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Mo...what did you do to calibrate your monitor...I can up my color bit in display...is that what you did???

Sue .. do you have photoshop? If so you can calibrate your monitor using Adobe Gamma Wizard which is included in the software.....that's what I used... it's great, takes you through step by step, when finished, you will notice a huge difference..... well I did! :)

cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
06-24-2003, 06:55 PM
I have Adobe Photo Deluxe...home edition...no Gamma Wizard :(
but thanks anyways!

Mo.
06-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Hmmm... you can do a search for calibrating monitors... you could find some sort of help there...even maybe a freebie download, it's worth a try.

Dyin
06-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Mo! Just went to www.ask.com and found a link to a place where they calibrated using a cookie on my system, I just put in >monitor color calibration<...and now the teddies look just right! Off to see what everything else looks like! :D

Mikki Petersen
06-25-2003, 01:56 AM
It's an adorable painting but what really impresses me is the range of soft color you got from a primary palette.

christmascarolnz
06-25-2003, 02:31 AM
Getting some great info here....now I have to try the different surfaces and try this calibration thing. Cool.
hmm - a limited palette - as I said after learning to ride on an ex-steeplechaser racehorse...ignorance is bliss!:D
Thanks 1mPete for looking. Bought all the browns I could today. - maybe reds/pinks next week. Found out that the art shop is going to stock Schmink soft pastels soon - I spent the rest of the day saying to my son "Guess what Nic..." :p
ha ha ha I'm flying high now wheeee
Carol

artbabe21
06-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 1mpete
It's an adorable painting but what really impresses me is the range of soft color you got from a primary palette.

Ya mean I don't have to buy an entire set? lol...but they have so many luscious colors that get me in trouble when I want to use them all at once------:D Anyone try the irridescent ones from Sennelier??

I saw a tablet of Art Spectrum paper & am trying to remember how much it was...what's a good price for a 9x12 tablet of 12 I think it was...warm or cool color tablets...:)

Carol..............This is terrific!! Great job and love how enthusiastic you are about OPs....I'll be trying them soon (pastel pencils are iffy) so it's fun to see someone else's progress!!

Dyin
06-25-2003, 11:26 PM
ha, feel like I'm stalking you...Sennelier has dropped most of their irridescent...guess they can be fugitive. But they added a bunch of new colors and they have a transparent one that is great for lightening and blending. But still...Neopastels are tons easier to work with, but I'm determined...this next work will be all S.
Just looked up the Art Spectrum...
it's 16 colors in 9x12

Dick Blick lists $27.99
Dakota Art Pastel lists $25.00

either one of those places could have it on sale tho...I checked the regular catalog...

And STILL love those teddies!:D

artbabe21
06-26-2003, 01:09 AM
thanks Dyin.....I appreciate it....haven't I seen you in the oil forum?

already working on a painting with these student OPs...just so dern much fun.....that's why I got into the pastel pencils...for portability & instant gratification!! I still do oils but want something I can take on trips ot do outside for relaxation...:D
looks like this will be it....these are fairly creamy for cheapies..Pro Art I think they are...:rolleyes:

christmascarolnz
06-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks Artbabe. I do confess to a little air fizzing out of my balloon when I tried to paint a still life of a couple of onions last night. I may have to scratch a bit of colour back to get a good highlight - if I don't need the onions before I finish it, that is.
Cheers,
Carol
(just think "Schminke is coming to town" - oh there it is:D yayyy)

Smudger
06-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Great first OP... and so cute:clap:

Dima
06-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Very nice!
The bears sure look fluffy (if that is the right word for what teddybearskins are supposed to look like?)

Dick