PDA

View Full Version : Not one but two

Jakeally
06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi Gang......well its raining today so I got to play:D
This is taken from a lovely photo in the RIL by Stalksthedawn. I got my Claudia Nice books this week so I thought I would try one of her techniques out.
This is the initial pen and ink work. You will notice the lack of shading. That's because I am going to paint on top with Acrylic Inks (who's a lucky girl then.... new inks and books in one week:D ) and I will do more shading with the inks.
I made a bit of a mess with the beaks but I think I can put that right later.
Please let me know what you think:cat:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/4535-Lorakeets.jpg

mel-ink
06-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Wowee, Chris!! What an excellent start you have on these darling little birds!! Beautiful, beautiful!! Hope it keeps raining and you get to draw more!!! Aren't new toys fun?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

artdude
06-22-2003, 01:09 PM
AWESOME start Chris!!!:clap: Looking forward to seeing the colored version!! :D:)

surreal
06-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Beautiful drawing.

sassybird
06-22-2003, 02:44 PM
I love your birds, Chris. Mine is framed and on the wall:D

Elankat
06-22-2003, 02:50 PM
Awww. I love lovey birds. :D

Jakeally
06-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Awwwww thanks you guys:D

Mel.....thanks....me too..... my back is aching from weeding and my fingers are permanently stained green from getting rid of the greenfly:D
I really needed it to rain today Lol:D

Murray thank you..... have you tried these acrylic inks....they are yummy:D

Surreal.... thanks so much:cat:

Sassy.... I am over the moon that you liked it enough to actually frame it:D

Lol Leanne....I love lovebirds too....... these are supposed to be Lorakeets but you wouldn't have known untill I colour them.... or are lovebirds really lorakeets....I haven't the foggiest idea:D It's of no consequence....I am pleased you like them:D

MonicaB
06-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Chris, these are gorgeous! Can't wait to see the color version.

dolors
06-22-2003, 04:56 PM
They are wonderful Chris. Can't wait to see the colored version. But, how do you paint with the acrylic inks? with a pen or with a brush like you use watercolor. I think I've never seen these inks.

DragonladyfromOz
06-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Hey wow Chris! These look great as they are but will look fantastic in colour ... sooooo, when do we see them? :D
Don'tcha just love acrylic inks? So many gorgeous colours ... I just wish I could buy some instead of just stacking them on the shelves... sheesh! Which colours did you get - I want to be full on jealous :D
Cheers
Manda

BTW - Love the cheeky bird expressions.

Elankat
06-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Jakeally
Lol Leanne....I love lovebirds too....... these are supposed to be Lorakeets but you wouldn't have known untill I colour them.... or are lovebirds really lorakeets....I haven't the foggiest idea:D It's of no consequence....I am pleased you like them:D

Chris, I could tell they are lorikeets. :) I actually have several great lorikeet refs that I took in the free flight cage at the St. Louis zoo.

LOVEY birds...meaning birds that snuggle. Cockatiels, lorikeets, and all the other ones that get that sweet little look on their faces and nuzzle right up to you. :D

*LeAnne, who misses her departed cockatiel very much*

BTDogMom
06-22-2003, 09:19 PM
OH NO!!! Chris they r soooooo cute - they wuv each other http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/18803-love.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/18803-love.gif & I'm in love with this - It may b my favorite so far :rolleyes: Beautiful wood, btw ;)

DSPIT
06-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Chris, I to will be awaiting the colored versions. But it is nice to see how you began before the coloring techniques are added.

Bob

Jakeally
06-23-2003, 03:44 AM
Well if I can just get my colouring right it looks like I have another entry for the exchange project. Thanks so much everyone for your very positive comments.:D

Thank you Dolors..... I used a brush with the inks but I think you could use a dip pen too. Not too sure about puting the ink in a rapidograph type pen though. The ink dries so quickly it might clog up the pen.
They do mix just like watercolours but have a softer, thicker feel to them.
They are called FW Acrylic Artists Ink. Made by Daler-Rowney.:D

Thanks Manda:D Lol....I'll probably paint it later today.
Yep....those colours are just gorgeous...I got Process Cyan 120, Process Magenta 412 and Process Yellow 675 and managed to get some marvelous shades mixing the three:cat:

Awww...Leanne....I am sorry you lost your cockatiel:crying:
Thanks for explaining...... I love to draw birds but really know nothing about them.:cat:

Jamie....you always bring a smile to my face. Thank you....you are a star:D

Bob.....glad you're there watching.:D

Whew....nearly missed you Monica...... Thank you so much.

I'll post it later hopefully:D

Jakeally
06-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Well I got this far.....don't know if I will do any more to it. I'll put it away for a couple of days and look again with fresh eyes.
I had trouble making a very dark green so I'm not totally happy.
Not bad but I think I liked it too much just in pen:rolleyes: :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2003/4535-Lorakeets2.jpg

artdude
06-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Jakeally
Well I got this far.....don't know if I will do any more to it. I'll put it away for a couple of days and look again with fresh eyes.
I had trouble making a very dark green so I'm not totally happy.
Not bad but I think I liked it too much just in pen:rolleyes: :D

Chris......this looks GREAT!!! :clap: The color really gives this more depth!! I think you really bring your inks to life with the added colors :D Just wish I could tell what they were :(:D:)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
06-23-2003, 01:59 PM
ROTFLMAO ....Murray:D :D :D Thank you....I am nearly crying with laughter here.... I am so glad you liked it....even though you can't really see what I have done. Man....I hope your wife was looking at the same time as you:D :D :D

BTDogMom
06-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Chris - It's just beautiful - I wouldn't know if the colors were correct or not b-cuz I don't know very much about birds - but 2 me they look PERFECT - and they r still soooooo CUTE!!! :D:clap: :clap: :clap:

MonicaB
06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
I think it looks just dandy, Chris. Sometimes we're our toughest critics!

dolors
06-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Chris I love them. I think it is better now. As you don't have dark green perhaps you could add more shading now with the pen, but I don't know. Have you tried mixing the green with the red or with the black ink?, anyway they are fantastic.

amanda
06-24-2003, 04:26 AM
I thought wow when I first saw these and then a double wow when I got to the bottom of this post, they're beautiful!

rapolina
06-24-2003, 05:35 AM
Chris, they are absolutely lovely!. i like both b/w and color, they have a nice and cute expression. your works are really great!
thank you for sharing, also in WIP.
as you don't know if you are happy with it (why? :confused: ) just an idea: why don't you try to paint a pale, soft sky as background?

ciao, rapolina.:)

fadinglights
06-24-2003, 08:12 AM
WOW!!! looks like these little dudes could just fly off the page!!! Excellent work!!! I LOVED the one without the color but this really made the cute little dudes come to life!!!!

Sharon

Jakeally
06-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Wow.....I am so pleased you all like them.
Jamie and Monica.... Thanks guys:D

Dolors thank you..... I never thought about adding black ink....how silly of me. The colours are so bright light and the blue and yellow make lovely greens but adding the red just didn't seem to work. I'll give the black a try:D

Amanda....thank you so much:D

Rapolina..... thanks.... glad you like them. I just got frustrated I think with not being able to make a dark enough green to deepen the shadows. I am happy with it really....just need to tweak a few things:D
Good idea about the background....it would probably work well:cat:

Hello Sharon...... thanks for taking a peek and for you lovely comments:D

dolors
06-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Chris If you have only 3 colours plus black, try in another paper making mixes with them, in oils black and yellow gives a beautiful green, perhaps you discover nice colours mixing the inks. Good luck.

Jakeally
06-24-2003, 01:31 PM
You are a star Dolors......I would never have thought that black and yellow make green. I think I need to do a lot more research into this colour theory....thanks for the tip:D

Christie
06-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Well, it was nice as a pen and ink, but the acrylics just added a whole new dimension! Wow! :clap:

drwells
06-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Holy Cow Chris!!! I go away for a bit and come back to THIS!!!! You are an amazing artist girl!!!! LOVE IT!!!! So, um, when you coming over here to show me how to do this painting thing? Huh? Well? :D

You are an inspiration!

danny

Jakeally
06-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Danny I would come tomorrow if I could....I think we would get inspiration from each other:D Thanks for the lovely comments:cat:

Christie....thank you so much:D

DSPIT
06-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Chris, I think the colors make it wonderfully brilliant. But airy colors. If you end up darkening the greens, add that post. i would like to see how that works. If you decide not to tempt fate, I would understand. THese are great!!

Bob

jjsangel
06-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Chris, beautiful work. I love the P&I and I love the colored version. They the same but sooooo different. The color brings them to life.

Jakeally
06-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks Bob...... you seem to know just how I feel about this:D
I might try to darken the shadows....I would feel happier I think.....especially where the tail feathers cross the branch....that tail just seems to get lost. I will post it if I add anything:D

Thanks Sharon.... I feel the same because I love the look of just plain old pen and ink:D ....but I do like this combination....the acrylic inks seem to sink down somehow and get dispersed.....I find it hard to explain in words... but yes....brings them to life will do nicely:D

Mikki Petersen
06-25-2003, 11:05 PM
I love these guys! Great work Chris!!!!

Jakeally
06-26-2003, 05:07 AM
Thanks Mikki:D