PDA

View Full Version : Orange Chair

tgsloth
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-12-2012/124239_Orange_chair.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Orange Chair
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 10x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was doing an on line training and it said I had to do a plein air watercolor. Too lazy to leave the house, I found I had a nice, metal orange chair in the sun. Had to paint fast!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open

Mikey
06-13-2012, 02:39 AM
The colours and lighting have an instant appeal. Does the perspective matter? Or is the painting better in some way for it being off.

AllisonR
06-13-2012, 05:58 AM
I am really liking the shapes in this painting. The triangle, the K the L, they work so well together. It is a simple painting, but the shapes are so powerful that I keep looking. I don't think your composition could get any stronger. Just wow. Yes, the perspective of the window is off, but I think if you "made it correct" then it would break up the movement of the lines in this painting, maybe even ruin it. Also like the flowers, so solid and not overdone, even they point me back to all the strong shapes and lines.

NO CRITS WHATSOEVER.

dgford
06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Beautifully powerful. Simple shapes and colours put together by a master. The only thing that bugs me, now that I have unfortunately noticed it, is the black piece sticking up out of the arm of the chair. Incomplete window frame?
Geoff

eyecandy2
06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
It is a powerful piece but I think your perspective is off. The flowers below are not appealing. When my eye goes there, I feel a sense of disappointiment. The fail to match up to the rest of the painting. Green grass would be better or some lavander flowers to compliment the orange chair.

Dana Design
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
bob, I agree with Phil. The painting overall is very linear, appealing minimalism but the flowers just don't belong there.

Also, the two brown stripes on the exterior wall create two tangents as one meets the arm of the chair and the other the portion of the window. The piece would be improved without them.

Just me opening my big mouth again!

Andrewcody
06-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Your painting is appealing, but the perspective issues do detract, as does the missing window frame section

Andrew

birdhs
06-14-2012, 03:30 AM
As a thumbnail sketch this is quite useful. It is not a final work, but a great step on the way to creating a fine painting. The haphazard lines that do not follow perspective are distracting in this painting. If everything was loose and semi-abstract it would be a different story. If you go back every day for week and paint this over and over I suspect it would be a really great work of art.

The compositional elements are spot-on, it is only the execution that is slightly askew. I love the colors, I like the idea of the flowers, but they are muddy. Is the wall inside the porch that much different than the outside wall? It does not seem to be just shaded by the effect of the screening, but a different house paint altogether.
Good practice piece, we learn as we go.

Greg

Mikey
06-14-2012, 05:07 AM
I still think all the 'mistakes' are the making of this painting.

If everything was loose and semi-abstract it would be a different story.

Greg may have a good point here. There's quite an art in getting things wrong to good effect. Cezzane seemed to have the idea though. All the same I like this painting with all it's off perspective. If everything were just so so correct then I probably would bother with it.

Coen1
06-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Birdhs wrote a comment which covers most of my observations of your work, tgsloth. In addition: I like the (many) lines in it, providing the feel of a really sunny day. The perspective is a matter in this painting. Some of it is correct, some of it isn't. In my opinion: choose one way or the other. In the composition: I like it very much over all, as said, the lines work well. One point of crit.: the back of the chair (above) seems running parallel to the windowpane, which you could have avoided, I think.
Still, a strong image.

Debzy
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
What I like about this painting is that you have given everybody food for thought! It has certainly got the brains ticking over with many different points of view and ideas! There have been lots of learning ideas on perspective, tangents, angles etc and it is fascinating to read it all, to me that makes for an interesting and clever painting! Just thought I would report my reaction to all insightful critique and observations! Very interesting! Cheers. Debs.=))

tgsloth
06-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Fascinating group of comments: some reactions
I started plein air and then finished from a photo. Some of the bad perspective is a function of wide angle lens. Maybe that's why some posters don't mind it. Food for thought.
The inside wall color is painted. Outside, it's aluminum siding which looks bluish under the sky.
The "garden" was sloppily put in. I forgot it was watercolor and laid in some darks and then, phooey, hard to correct, just dabbed. Some of the ochre/white forms are supposed to be rocks but the garden is clearly not my finest moment.
Fully agree with the tangents of chair and screening lines meeting. Should have seen this mistake, easy to avoid. Mea Culpa; mea maxima culpa.
This was just an assignment and I'm pleased that many of you think of it as a painting.

birdhs
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
I often wonder how many paintings out there were never intended to be seen?

So glad you shared this with us, it seems to have generated a lot of interest- because the concept was very good and the colors exciting.

Looking forward to your next "exercise."

greg

Andrewcody
06-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Mea Culpa; mea maxima culpa.
This was just an assignment and I'm pleased that many of you think of it as a painting.

Omnia condonabuntur Tgsloth

Mikey commented on Cezzane making mistakes - really? Mistakes?
:wave:

Andrew

Mikey
06-15-2012, 03:29 AM
If Cezzane did it then it's genius. If any odd person does it them it's is a mistake or inability.

tgsloth
06-15-2012, 07:19 AM
There's an early Monet in a museum in Fort Worth. It's a rather somber beach scene. It has two figures walking on the beach. Getting close, you can see that Monet was working the sky background after the figures were painted and he blew it or got lazy. There's a halo around the figures. Luckily for Monet, he didn't post this work on the Open Critique Forum or we would have nailed him.

Mikey
06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't doubt Cezzane was a genius in intellectual and insight terms, able to push ideas forward. However, his ability as a draughtsman seemed to be severly lacking. I could make an argument that he knew that and used it to his advantage.

In our Birmingham Art Gallery we have a priceless Bellini. The Madonna and child are painted wonderfuly, the master's touch is obvious. The background throne is very amateurish, detailed but far too tight. The donar in the painting, well it looks as if he ran out of money and had to paint it himself. I am afraid that priceless painting, wouldn't pass for anything in this forum. Yes, of course it was a product of the studio, not only Bellini.

My points don't show too well at this size 45reduction.

Bellini with donor runnng out of funds - apparently (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bellini+birmingham&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1586&bih=772&tbm=isch&tbnid=Qncq4-y2g90G_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.artfund.org/artwork/4192/madonna-enthroned-with-ss-peter-and-mark-and-a-donor&docid=IyQao88wS6m8HM&imgurl=http://www.artfund.org/assets/image/artwork/enlarged/002654_004286_0.jpg&w=542&h=600&ei=sR7bT8SpBoLC0QXx7ZTTCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=282&vpy=277&dur=2237&hovh=236&hovw=213&tx=125&ty=137&sig=103830011016341370815&page=1&tbnh=124&tbnw=112&start=0&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:106)

allanom
06-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Now, I hear you that the photo reference is wide angle, but even wide angle follows the rules (imagine: me talking about rules..;O)). There are so many perspective errors in this piece that it almost looks intentional...:O)) But, truly, they really detract from the success of the painting: the great colours, the light and the ambience. Too late to do anything about it, but see my alt just for future reference. And I disagree that the flowers don't belong. Maybe just need a little care with details.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2012/4031-Orange_chair.jpg

AntonioBernal
06-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Agree with the above, the off perspective really bothers me and it does detract from an otherwise nice painting. Considering this is just an assignment and you seem to have painted it quickly, you couldn't really ask for much more anyway.

Others have pointed that the flowers don't look right, I also find the blue area behind the flowers a bit confusing. Is it a wall? Then it needs some texturing/shadowing (I see there a bit of shadow at the bottom but that's not enough to anchor it, if there's a wall there). Is it the sky? I don' quite get it.

Dana Design
06-16-2012, 10:43 AM
There's an early Monet in a museum in Fort Worth. It's a rather somber beach scene. It has two figures walking on the beach. Getting close, you can see that Monet was working the sky background after the figures were painted and he blew it or got lazy. There's a halo around the figures. Luckily for Monet, he didn't post this work on the Open Critique Forum or we would have nailed him.

Bob, sounds as if you're not too happy with the comments. However! This painting and all of the comments have been greatly instructional to our members thus it's been a really good teaching example of proportion and perspective. If you choose to do nothing further with this painting, it's still very good and you should be quite happy with it. :heart:

tgsloth
06-16-2012, 02:33 PM
No, no, I'm delighted with the comments. I was just joking about Monet. I like my painting as an exercise and feel like the crits were insisive. I'm surprised that the work got so much attention. I'm only disappointed when I post something and it wanders off the first page with 2 or 3 crits only. I try to tell myself that it's probably due to the magnificence of the work although I don't entirely believe it.

lunchbox
06-16-2012, 03:59 PM
I sat here and just enjoyed the banter :) Art work, like handwriting, has its own uniqueness. Trying to change it to fit another's idea of what it should be is different from encouraging what would make it even better. Your wonderful style and color pallet is there, tis all that counts. BTW, when I feel one of mine doesn't work - it's dubbed 'Practice' - I have a series of them :D

Dana Design
06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
No, no, I'm delighted with the comments. I was just joking about Monet. I like my painting as an exercise and feel like the crits were insisive. I'm surprised that the work got so much attention. I'm only disappointed when I post something and it wanders off the first page with 2 or 3 crits only. I try to tell myself that it's probably due to the magnificence of the work although I don't entirely believe it.

Bob, your work is always a treat to look at and I enjoy everything you do! This was an especially interesting 'take' on you usual work and again...even if you don't change any of it, it's a success. That's my opinion!

greensyster
06-16-2012, 09:29 PM
This is my fourth visit to see this painting. I didn't comment before cos I would have said 'dont touch anything' 'this is a genuine Bob Cook' as only he can nail it in his developed style. I saw of course the technically wrong perspectives but I believe I know why they had to be that way. Everything is alive here and even the chair want out into the sun to feel grass on its legs.

song_bird
06-17-2012, 12:27 AM
I think this is great. Like the flowers, like the chair being 'off.' It's part of the painting's charm, imo. The thing that threw me and I still get stuck on is the window. I can't figure out what's going on with the lower pane and what looks like angled steps. The window construction doesn't make sense to me.

Nice composition, colors, subject matter! Simple as it is, holds a person's interest