PDA

View Full Version : One-Gal Show

Smudgedperspective
06-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi Everyone!
It has arrived. I have finally been granted a one man show all to my very self. I've found a gallery thats going to help me show my work as well as raise money for college. I really need to get started on a series of some sort for them. The thing is I really am not sure what to do. I deal mostly in portraits in a realistic style. But for a show I don't want to just hang my normal portraits. Its my opinion that people dont really want to buy a portrait unless they know the people in it or have some sort of connection to it. So most of the stuff that I have already, mainly portraits of people I know who i've gotten to model, aren't exactly what I think has a snowballs chance in haiti of selling. Basically I could use a muse to help inspire my. Any portrait artists/ smart brainy people have any suggestions for a struggling nobody? would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!:D

Karen Cardinal
06-22-2003, 12:01 AM
Congratulations on your show!!
That is fantastic!

Have you thought of doing a series of self portraits?

Even though people generally shy away from portrait work unless they know the subject, art collectors seem to love self portraits.

You could also try some non-portrait portraits. Portraits of people that don't really show their faces.

Just remember you're exhibiting your style, so if you've developed "a look" for your work, don't try to change it just to sell some pictures. You'll do much better in the long run if you're true to your talents. :)

Best of luck!

O'Connor
06-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Show the portraits!!

Show whatever else you have, but don't hesitate to fill as much space as you need with portraits!
It's what you do!

I can easily view and enjoy a collection of work by a talented portraitist. Just as I can realists, impressionists, or violinists.

It's the work you are doing that will impress the viewer. You'd be surprised at the number of portraits that sell, even when the model is not known.

DaVinci's most famous work? -portrait
Rembrandt? -portrait
VanGogh- self-portrait
Rockwell-

Need I say more?

CarlyHardy
06-22-2003, 11:35 PM
What work did you present to the gallery to help create interest in their doing a show? If they are aware that the bulk of your work is portraiture, then they will expect to see some in the show.

Congratulations! You're taking a great step in the direction of building the professionalism that will help to get recognition for your work.

Consider posting your questions in the Art Business forum also. Gallery shows are often the topic of conversation in there!
carly