PDA

View Full Version : High Stile - Buttermere

arnieb
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-11-2012/192075_mini-Buttermeer_-5_.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: High Stile - Buttermere
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
We normally walk round the Lake, starting from the Hotel at this end of the lake, possibly stopping for a break at Hotel at the other end of the lake, before finishing at the other Hotel at this end. A pleasant walk of about 2 Hours walking.

However this year we walked up through the trees on the right to Red Pike, then along to High Stile, High Crag, Hay Stacks, and back down Fleetwith Pike on the left.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open. Any comments appreciated. Thanks Arnie

allanom
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Composition and intervals/sequences nicely assembled. Just would like the colours to be ramped up a bit--finding it all just a bit bland.

Avena Cash
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
This isn't so much my style, but think I can comment: My strongest impression is that this is a great picture that is well-executed. You are using skills I don't have--and definitely admire--to develop the misty distance and work softly in moody muted colors.

There is a small sense of disconnection between some things. The distance doesn't seem as distant, perhaps, as it should. I think there is a foreground and far distance but not much in between to make a visual transition, so it somehow seems like the foreground is appearing closer than it should while the distance is trying to be much further away creating a bit of visual confusion. If you look at the right where there is dark green in between the foreground and the mountain, it is a little uncertain what is happening there. Now, this is a tricky thing and it may be hard to decide how to address fairly subtle problems. Maybe, even though I like the softness of the distant mountain shapes to the left, it actually needs some slightly darker values to like everything is connected? Maybe also the silhoetted grayish trees to the left are too misty because they are not actually far away--based on size and detailing they read as close to the viewer but based on color they are on the far mountains.

I really like the handling of the red and green foreground, and the shadows. That makes me think there should be more clarity in the middle ground to coordinate with that, and again that there should be some sense of similar strong light in the rest of the painting which might be accomplished by gentle adjustments that increase value contrasts. Maybe a little more color too as allanom suggested. Do keep any changes gentle, though, as the softness is clearly powerful in this painting. I wouldn't want to lose the good stuff :)

Judi1957
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi Arnie,:wave:

I agree w/ Avena. The transition and depth are some things to work on here. Link to a pic from the RIL which may help.
Nice job!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=31697

eyecandy2
06-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice piece, but I would do something with those trees on the right on the near side of the lake. They all look the same. A little more variation is shape and size would add to their interest. It would also help to create more variation in values. This would help to add depth to the painting.

song_bird
06-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Lovely image and spot. Agree with above crits. What has bothered me about this piece is the rectangular-ness of the red brush. They look too angular to me.

Love its softness and atmospheric qualities.

arnieb
06-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Thank you all for your comments, and Avena for such a long thoughtful critique. I will reflect on what has been said, figure out how to rework it and repost.
The trees on left will be easy to fix, but I had problems with the trees/area on right as it was largely shaddow and it wasnt clear cut what to do there. Will also try and get some more of the red in to make it less bland.
Thanks again Arnie.

tgsloth
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
One of your best, Arnie, and it has attracted some thoughtful crits. I'll suggest a counterpoint though. Instead of adding color to match the foreground, I advocate losing color in the foreground and making the whole painting muted as foggy scenes often are in nature.

arnieb
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks Bob - certainly more food for thought. Arnie

arnieb
07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Some rework on this one to refect the comments made. Thanks again Arnie.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2012/192075-mini-Buttermeer_-6.JPG

crazywoman53
07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
You are definitely developing a style all of your own. I like the improvements. Very nice moody painting!

arnieb
07-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Thanks Christine - much appreciated. Arnie