PDA

View Full Version : Into The Sunset

halthepainter
06-11-2012, 09:39 AM
This is my autobiographical painting. As an old retired pilot, this one was done with emotion (no I never few a bi wing but I wish I could have).

I also wrote a haiku to go with it. (I spent too many years in Japan)

The sunset beckons
I fly the valley of clouds
Tracking the beacon home

One critic at a juried artshow complained about the repetitious clouds shapes.

I guess she couldn't see the hand of God reaching out to receive me.
My apologies to my ultra realistic friends. I'm more into the romance of flight rather than ultra realistic depiction of an aircraft.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2012/140488-wc_images_enhanced.jpg

This was a 12 by 16 pastel and I've always regretted selling it.

vegaskip
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Hal, you certainly have caught the atmosphere, there's a sort of timelessness about it as though the aircraft will fly on forever, it reminds me of the felt pictures my sometimes makes.
regards Jim

halthepainter
06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Thank you Jim.

Chas McHugh
06-12-2012, 02:26 AM
My apologies to my ultra realistic friends. I'm more into the romance of flight rather than ultra realistic depiction of an aircraft.

There is no right or wrong on canvas; and emotion is a powerful tool; no apologies necessary. A cross polination of artistic perception will makes these pages invaluable.

A twist is that some of the fundamental guidelines for aviation art have been adhered to:

Fly from the dark into the light.
Place the aircraft in a position where it has canvas to fly into.
Size the aircraft to enable a vision of depth.I would not class this as abstract; simply very loose and quite pleasing with it.

shadwell
06-12-2012, 03:32 AM
i like for all the above reasons , but also feel it wouldn't have worked as well in other mediums i think it is particularly suited to pastels