PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix In the Air

Erica Shipley
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2012/1076792-cubismbirdscaled.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Phoenix In the Air
Year Created:
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Other
Dimension: 19x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was a charcoal sketch that I went over in oil pastel and then smoothed out with boiled linseed oil. Process was documented at www.blog.seizetheart.com

It was worked on bristol taped to my drawing board.

I was inspired by a cubism contest at another online site to try something new outside of my normal box.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did I achieve cubism?
Is the color to confusing?
Is my composition to centered?
I am unsure if people will be able to see what I was drawing.

Erica Shipley
06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
never mind i got it re-sized.

Debzy
06-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Erica! I am not really the one to critique on abstract works, so I will just say I love your earthy colour scheme and the movement of the form! The patterns are very creative and I could see it on the wall of a modern home. I personally don't think it is too centred, and I don't find the colours confusing. Well done! Welcome to WC. Cheers. Debs. =))

Erica Shipley
06-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the reply. So many people just tell me they like things that I cant tell if I am getting honest answers from those around me. I have been reading this site for the last year and this is my first finished piece I am proud of to add to my portfolio as a professional artist.

If anyone else has an opinion open up I can take it good or bad! If your not commenting because you don't understand it tell me that too. I am just trying to do something I would never do as a learning experience.

Outside of style what about technique?

I know I just need to get some confidence in my work.:wave::crossfingers:

Avena Cash
06-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I think it is a good image and that the composition works. It doesn't look like cubism to me. My experience of cubism is that it looks faceted, with the geometric shapes made to look like multiple planes that read as being three dimensional. I think your picture is made with flat pattern that emphasizes two dimensions. This pattern is well done, balanced, in good colors, but still flat instead of faceted. Like a crazy quilt.

I think what the cubists did is pretty complex and hard to recreate.

Erica Shipley
06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
agreed! Very well said thank you.

greensyster
06-12-2012, 04:18 AM
All looks good to me for being a phoenix. The application of the mediums is what is letting it down for my crit. Looks very patchy. The background is wonderful for the upper 2/3 but the bottom scalloped bit pushes the foreground at the viewer rather than allowing the phoenix to call the space.

Erica Shipley
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
I can see what you mean but am unsure how to fix do you have a suggestion?