PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel "Sara"

Dyin
06-20-2003, 06:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/19147-Sara.jpg

This is Caran d'Ache neopastel on Hahnemuhle sand toned velour paper 9"x13" I did it all in earthtones...and the original is a bit lighter...think ochre. I did this from a very poor black and white photo, so took a lot of artistic liberties!

All comments welcome....

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 06:39 PM
ohhhhh I like this.......... I especially love the hair texture, and the little white finger nail :)

....... the muted colours go well and set the mood and composition...... like how it goes diagonally across the page

..... I was just wondering about the profile..... of the nose

.... nice work

Mo.
06-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Sue.. this is brilliant work.. such detail... love the earth tones...
the nose, not knowing your ref pic, seems s bit too curved at the tip, would it be that upturned.. you have the straight part, then quite a dip before the fleshy ed part of the nose, maybe it should not be this acute? Love the hair too, must have taken you ages to do that.. did you paint this dry?

cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
06-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks Dark_Shades and Mo! The nose looks stranger in the photo than in the painting...she has a dark shadow of freckles there, the light area is not the profile, but maybe I'll work on that a touch more. I did it all dry...and the hair definately was the hardest part...and thanks for the comment on the little fingernail...I was so proud of that lol!

sundiver
06-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Wow, oil pastels on velour paper! I didn't know that was doable.
This is wonderful!

Dyin
06-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Sundiver...it's doable, but you have to work it a little...uses the OPs like any rough surface and it works better with the 'grain'

Here's my nose redone...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/19147-detail_Saras_nose.jpg

does this look better? She does have what I call a 'snub' nose...

thanks for all your input...

Cindy Aspden
06-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Absolutely brilliant! :clap: :clap: :clap: I like you, so love this pose. I also love the way you have used these colors choices to create such a mood and tweek my emotion! I feel like, like, . . I just can't explain my feelings from this beautiful painting Dyin, but I feel lots!! She is beautiful. I would comment on a specific component that you have done exceptionally well, but you have done them all that way- fabric, fingernail, hair, lashes, etc. Well done my friend! Can't wait to see more!:)

cindy

Dyin
06-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Aww, Cindy, you sure know how to be a great friend! A lot has to do with your helpful comments when it was a WIP...so thanks a lot!

soap
06-21-2003, 01:12 AM
I LOVE this!!! Such atmosphere......so intimate.......Fantastic!

amanda
06-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
....... the muted colours go well and set the mood and composition...... like how it goes diagonally across the page

I agree with this, very nice, very sleepy.

E-J
06-21-2003, 02:35 AM
Dyin, from my one experience of using oil pastels on velour I cannot fathom how you got that much detail in the hair! This is such a lovely piece.

BlueJackal
06-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Wow! The hair is my favorite part (Though I like the whole thing). Excellent detailing and texture!

Smudger
06-21-2003, 08:13 AM
Stunning:clap: :clap:

Dyin
06-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Thank you Soap, Amanda, Blue Jackal, EJ! I had the hardest struggle with the hair...it's very hard to keep a sharp edge...I have shavings that ended up on my rug and got smooshed in by my dog...and I ended up using my Bob Ross pallette knife to scrape and start over quite a few times...so it's very gratifying that you all like it!

marilyn h
06-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Oh my goodness. This is so great!!!!!! Wild!

Dyin
06-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks Marilyn! I went to your webpage...nice colored pencil work! Your fish are so whimsical and you have lovely detail and color...I really liked the car too...I tried colored pencil work a long time ago but had a real problem with 'bloom'. I tend to overdo. But I still use them for some detail work...they really work with lots of mediums..

Mikki Petersen
06-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Okay, add my ooohhhhhs and aaaaaahhhhhs here. I agree with Soap's comment on the intimate quality you have brought out here and I am quite amazed by how perfectly real the hair looks. Wonderful work!

Dyin
06-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks Mikki, really appreciate you taking the time to look and ooh and ahh lol!

Artaholic
06-22-2003, 01:24 AM
:clap: :clap: I agree with every one else!!
How did you find this paper to work on? I am thinking about ordering some and would like to hear your comments. I will be working with soft pastels.

Gerry

Dyin
06-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Gerry! I get mine from Dakota Art Pastels www.dakotapastels.com
Sheets come 19x27" in 11 toned colors and the sell velour boards a half inch smaller in 4 tones and they have a 10 sheet velour pad with all the colors except red 9x13. There's discounts for 12+ and the pad is regular $23.95. They have a lot of sales though.

I did my tiny head with soft pastels on velour. It's a little more fussy than other supports...you can brush off areas you want to rework with a good stiff brush but it's hard to keep any area you don't want the pastel on dust free, as the velour is like a magnet. Use a light touch, it will take a bit of loading but you don't want to put it on the first go-round. It's almost impossible to get a hard edge with the soft pastels on the velour so keep that in mind choosing a subject. I've heard a lot of people have had trouble with the finished product, but mine has kicked around in a portfolio with (gasp!) plastic sleeves and got jounced around moving and I expected a smeary mess and it's just fine. I liked the oil pastels on the velour much better, but it takes getting used to working with a nap and the strokes look different depending on the direction. I think it's especially suited to portraits and wildlife...haven't done much in the way of landscapes but maybe would work well for a dreamy countryside.

Ummm....don't think a fixative will work very well with this support. And you definately don't want to turn it over and give it a thump to get rid of loose dust as it will just statically move all over the painting. It's acid free and really durable too.

I like to try everything, as some supports work better for certain subjects than others...on this OP you can't see the lushness in the material in the photo, but in 3D it is really rich.
Would love to see what you come up with if you decide to try it...

moo67
06-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Absolutely stunning,amazing outcome......oh to have such artistic liberties!!
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dyin
06-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Thank you, Moo! I just finally heard back from Sara, the subject of this painting, and happily, she loves it too. Always a little scary when you take liberties with someone else's features!

Luvy
06-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Like this alot . The hair is really good. WOW

Dyin
06-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Luvy, appreciate your kind words!

lorelou
06-22-2003, 06:21 PM
OOOOh this is so good. Nice work:)

Dyin
06-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the nice words, Lorelou and for taking the time for a peek!

flower
06-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Hi Dyin,

Just seen your painting, i think its soooooooooooo nice, i love the detail of the hair and guess what, the finger nail, she just looks so peaceful and relaxed, great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyin
06-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks so much, Patricia...you KNOW I grinned when you mentioned the fingernail lol!

mhimeswc
06-23-2003, 10:18 AM
WOW!!!!!! This is wonderful!

Michelle

Dyin
06-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Michelle! Appreciate you popping in for a look...

angeline
06-23-2003, 11:55 AM
This is lovely..........not much more i can say that hasn't been said already............dreamy.........(love the little finger nail!)

Dyin
06-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks Angeline...you sure know how to get on my good side with the fingernail compliment lol!

Redsy333
06-24-2003, 07:00 AM
You originally stated that this was from a black and white photo...and that you took the artistic liberty....well.........you should take it as often as possible!!;) This is fantatstic!! Id swear it was an oil painting! The composition, the color choices, the detail..all sing together perfectly!! Kudos to you:D

Chelle
06-24-2003, 07:35 AM
That's oil pastel? OMG. I agree with Redsy. It looks like an oil painting. I'm most impressed! It's a lovely intimate picture.

doe
06-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Can't believe its oil pastel on velour! Beautiful job!

meowmeow
06-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Fabulous job. I am really impressed you were able to take a black and white photo and do this. Excellent!

Sandy

Dyin
06-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Geez, really thank you, Redsy, Chelle, Doe and Sandy! I really do love the effects I can get with these OPs...I've never been able to get the subtle nuances with paints that I wanted, with the OPs I can blend away with my fingers and I really loved doing a piece in pure earthtones, I was petrified to show it as a WIP, so sure that I couldn't pull the whole thing off...it means a lot to hear all your comments...thank you so much!

Dima
06-26-2003, 08:37 AM
This is fantastic, Dyin!
I never would have guessed this was OP; it looks rather like a very good and elaborate oilpainting.
You've achieved some wonderful effects here.

Dick

Dyin
06-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Dick...missed seeing you around here the last week or so..

artbabe21
06-26-2003, 11:41 AM
and I think all the adjectives have been used up on this winner........ya mean THIS is what cn be achieved with these OPs?WOW!

You did a remarkable job on this painting.....simply outstanding!

you are quite talented, what mediums have you worked in before?

Dyin
06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Cathleen...oil and watercolor are about the only two mediums I haven't done...just about everything else, beadwork, clay, acrylic, airbrushing, soft pastel, colored pencil etc. I liked soft pastels a lot but had trouble with allergies like you. I'm still exploring the OPs...trying to work out a piece on pastel board and it's a different effect from velour and the Senneliers are correctly described elsewhere as 'wet soap'. I've spent 2 days on a throwaway board just trying to get the same effects as this one. But it looks like a whole new approach is called for. I'm determined to find out everything these OPs are capable of...still have a LONG way to go! I call it a love/hate relationship with challenge...my husband calls it being stubborn as a mule...:mad:

javismiles
07-26-2003, 07:42 AM
this is so beautiful, I love the texture of the hair, smoothness of the skin, the colour and lightning and specially that it makes me feel peaceful, it communicates peace, beautiful
:)javi

Dyin
07-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Javi...was nice of you to pull this out from the past...that's what I felt when I first saw the pose too...