GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Expressive Roses
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16x12inches.
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first piece using a palette knife....really enjoyed it.....no ref photoa

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
all feedback welcome good or bad

Coen1
06-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Flowers and background are well done. It's a pity the flowers are rather lined-up. It could use some overlap in my opinion.

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
The interest and techniques are there. I am wondering about the weight of the piece if you will. Squint your eyes and see that the leaves and stems do not support the lively flowers, but rather form a zig-zag around them. The brighter colors are bringing the flowers to life but not quite sure where the light source is. I would say, however, the palette knife is going to work well for you, keep it up :)

leisure artist
06-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks Coen for your comments.....see what you mean re flowers,will remember that on my next piece:)

leisure artist
06-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Lunchbox......thanks for your encouraging comments,the light source is coming from the top right,should there be more highlights on the flowers?The stems do need more work,will make some changes there....Christine:)

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Have had trouble putting in an attachment to show this - so no, the highlights are fine but too scattered. Take a flashlight and position it over the canvas where you wish the light to be. Now imagine what flowers would go deeper in color/shadow because they would be further from the light. Also the ones closest to the light will begin to shadow the petals and leaves below their highest points. You don't need to recolor - here is where glazing can be fun. When the painting is dry, a mixture of Alizarin crimson and a bit of ultramarine may be a nice combo to try - dilute in turp and start to wash over the areas you wish to be in shadow - keep glazing until you you reach your desired effect. Black mixed with cad yellow makes a great dark green. What jives paintings is the use of contrasts, it's where the depth created pleases the eye and keeps them interesting. Hope this helps :)

leisure artist
06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Many thanks for taking the trouble to explain this....very useful advice for this painting and future pieces:)

eyecandy2
06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I think that a pale green background would make the red flowers pop. As is the value of background a d flowers is too much the same. Your pattern of flowers is too regular and because the values are so much the same you have little depth to your painting. You can do a great deal with the palate knife but it does take practice and patience.