MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2012/183894-Guardian5.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Guardian
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
A stroll down the beach was an inspiration for this lifeguard.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is the subject matter too "genre"? ordinary?

judithdagostino
06-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I really think this is great. The only thing I would do differently is change the lifeguards right arm. It probably looked like that in the photo you used...if you used one. But, it looks awkward here. I would take it out as if he has his arm resting on the other side of the chair.

Dcam
06-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Woops: gave you the wrong image Judith And thanks, you are so right.
I have since changed the arm and will get back to you Thanks, Derek

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I had no problem with the arm - but either way this piece is a most enjoyable trip for the eye - not genre ordinary to me. One very small nit, if you so choose, is the top of the arm rest by the knee, maybe back it a bit from meeting edges. Thanks for sharing.

Debzy
06-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I kinda like the right arm extended out, it shows he is lazing back with no intention of exerting himself! I think maybe if you took that arm away he may look as if he is thinking about getting up! Just my opinion, Fantastic scene, love your style and colours! Cheers Debs. =))

La_
06-10-2012, 05:20 PM
oo, this is delicious!
the right arm placement is fabulous, casual, necessary, but where the arm and shoulder meet is a bit odd, a bit chalky, hesitant/unsure - a titch of confident clarification would be great

a few perspective issues to check - the step at the front of his chair, the buoy on the right side of the chair, the sign and writing on the sign on the back of the chair ... picky things tho, it's a wonderful piece, i enjoy it quite a lot.

la

Andrewcody
06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Very nice work
Believable

judithdagostino
06-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I want to be clear about the arm. I like the pose. It just needs some adjustment as La suggested.

AllanFink1960
06-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I really like the light coming through the umbrella.

Sissal
06-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Fun! I saw this scene yesterday... down to the "guardian's" haircut, little girl and mom heading in, sunburned man with towel - this is just great! Your rendering has the right combination of impression and realism to let us in, look around, and believe.

Just for me, I wish it was bigger - huge, even. Would make a great mural at the beach pavillion...

eyecandy2
06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I don'st feel that the right arm adds anything to the painting other that to make the viewer feel that their is something wrong. It just doesn't look right and the painting wouldn't suffer if it were eliminated. It is a very nice rendition of the beach and I can almost smell the salt air. I also fee that you could have positoned the life guard further to the righ. It would have made a better composition. Howerver, you did well.

Dcam
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey Thanks you guys: All good stuff.

Here is the story: I posted the photo of the painting with the "bad" arm:lol: .

I have since fixed it with a portion of towel hiding the awkward area. The fixed painting is in a frame under glass (which does not photo well) and it would be a pain to take out of the frame.
I appreciate your eyes and ideas.

Phil I have to disagree about moving the lifeguard to the right....makes no sense? It would cover up key figures.
Phil, I also think I did well. It was accepted into the Salmagundi Gallery 5th Ave. NYC.

Derek:wave:

eyecandy2
06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes, you did well. however, your figures could be there even if you move him over. And if you moved him over, he would be looking out into the ocean instead of looking out of the painting. Just my thoughts and I won't argue with success.