PDA

View Full Version : jungle girl

DSPIT
06-20-2003, 02:07 AM
scanner problems but thought I would post it any way.

DSPIT
06-20-2003, 02:09 AM
let us try this again.

Jakeally
06-20-2003, 07:59 AM
Oh! Wow.....this is fabulous. Just the right mix of darks, mediums and lights. Love the composition. Just wish I could see this up close and personal:clap: :clap:

artdude
06-20-2003, 09:09 AM
:clap: AWESOME ink illustration Bob!! Such great detail in this!!! Can hardly wait for the next one!! :D:)

DSPIT
06-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Chris, THanx for the kind words. I am trying to get a better closer pic but just have managed a good one yet. I will post if I get it right.

Murray, hey, that was the next one:p I have a few "other" things I have to do, then the plan is to layout some larger ones with some better done focal points. Maybe on bristol bd.

Bob

Gutshot
06-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Ok thats cool, if I do say so myself. Which I do, so it is. :D

MonicaB
06-20-2003, 12:22 PM
Very nice, Bob. :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

captan
06-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Great stuff! Nice detail and good balance between light and dark.

surreal
06-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Nice drawing!

BTDogMom
06-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Bob - this is fantasti - I love the not so subliminal images in the trees! :D - Your pen work is gorgeous!:clap: :clap:

mel-ink
06-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Super work, Bob! I like this busy-ish style you have going...it works very well!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lumina
06-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Excellent pen work, it reminds me of a Frank Frazetta or Boris Vallego work. I would love to see it in color as well.

seejay
06-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Great drawing Bob.

:clap: :clap:

I'm fighting off a nasty virus at the moment, so I'll blame my fevered state when I say I can see naked female body bits all through this one!;)

Cheers

r4cord
06-20-2003, 09:07 PM
great! very striking.vivid! :clap: :clap: :clap: ...roy

DSPIT
06-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanx for all the wonderful comments ya'll:D

Lumina, Frazetta is my alltime favorite and the one I look to for inspiration whenever I am....flat. I like Boris, but have always felt Frazetta had a way better grip on illustration. I saw in my other post you get draw some inspiration from these. I feel humbled when someone says this and believe it is one of those things that makes a piece worth doing.

Seejay, well you can blame it on that, but ya know...stuff happens. The main tree just happened and I just went with it.

Bob

Elankat
06-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Great illustration! The jungle scenery is fabulous. :)

sassybird
06-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I really like the composition and line work in this piece. One thing that I believe would really make it pop is some more mid values added, maybe stippling. The jungle girl especially could be rounded out more with a bit more value added either in washes or stippling. This is a really good piece. It just doesn't appear finished to me. Push that envelope!:D You have a good thing going here:clap: :clap:

DSPIT
06-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanx LeAnne.

Yes Charissa,that is something these last two pieces have been part of, working on background and fill. Normally I just have a very detailed tree with just black suggestive jungle in the background. So these last two were to take another step towards a more fulfilled vision. I have being trying to add washes on several occaisions, but have been unsucessful. Can not seem to find something I can manage. But agree that the girl in the pic needs something else. Althoug, that was the intent of the piece, was to see how this went. I usually won't stipple with the rest of the piece being this detail with one style of linework, I dont believe that would have worked very well. But I appreciate the opinions and ideas as I have been trying to move forward with this style I have come to really like.

Bob

dolors
06-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Fantastic drawing Bob.

BTDogMom
06-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by DSPIT
Frazetta is my alltime favorite and the one I look to for inspiration whenever I am....flat. I like Boris, but have always felt Frazetta had a way better grip on illustration. I TOTALLY AGRRE with you!!! Frazetta is my all-time favorite fantasy artist as well, but more of the artistic factor - u know that he can do things with magnificent detail, yet he doesn't focus on thtat - he focuses on movement and how "alive" things are...Here is a thread I'd like 2 share that I just posted last week :D- These r 13 years old - but u will c that I'm a huge fan of Frank ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114347

DSPIT
06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
BT, thanx for sharing your pencils, the look very good. I am very familiar with those drawings. I used to own the whole set of Ballentine books that were out back in the day. I lost them in a house fire. I have since replaced two of the 3 with the hard covers, "Testament" and "Icon" and plan on buying the new "Painting with Fire" when it comes to DVD.
Both of these original pieces are in those books. I also used one of his paintings as a pencil. It was the ONLY finished project in the only formal art class I ever did. There are other elements, but used "The serpent" for the focal. Maybe I can dig it up and shoot a digi pic of it if your interested. But yours are very nice.

Movement and expression with limited detail was always the thing that set me in awe. So Many other things as well, but those in particular.

Bob

sassybird
06-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Bob, you are coming along great with your experimenting. You will find washing easier as you go along. Your talent shines through in this piece, and I know that each successive piece will grow stronger and stronger:D I look forward to seeing more!

DSPIT
06-23-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't know Charissa, about those washes, I have not had much luck at all. Disappoint myself every time. I can not seem to find a mix that works for me. I figure if I keep tinkerin, I will find something.

bob