PDA

View Full Version : 1:25 a.m.

AntonioBernal
06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-09-2012/1056932_One_Twenty_Five_am.jpeg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 1:25 a.m.
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a new illustration for my Man in the Hat series. It is an imaginary composition. I threw in some elements to suggest a story to the viewer, yet without dictating it, enhacing this way the narrative element.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments welcome! As this is an imaginary composition, with no reference to real life or photos, I had a bit of a hard time coming up wih the lighthing and shadows. Although the results is not realistic, I'm quite happy with it. I'd love to hear any feedback in this regards though!

Dcam
06-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Antonio: I think your style is so original and really a treat to view. There is a certain "Coziness" to the images. I like what you do with the light.
You can alter according to WC comments if you were doing an acrylic. oil, or pastel, but this being watercolor, you would have to start all over no? just curious. By the way....inventing your light makes it so interesting.

Love your work; Derek the Scot.:wave:

AntonioBernal
06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi, Derek, thanks for commenting and for your kind words! I'm so glad you like the style!

You are right, as this is watercolor, amending, correcting or altering is very difficult, or some times just not possible, but there's always a bit of space for modifications. If the paper allows it, I could tone some parts down, or glaze other parts to darken them a bit, for example. And if there's something I can't take on board for this one, I still would love to hear it so that I can have in mind for future work! :)

Antonio

Coen1
06-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Great work. I'm recognising your style already. The narrative element is certainly in it, my mind has been set to work. It's not realistic and that's one of the charms of it. Another has been pointed out by Dcam: the lightening. You absolutely have a feel for that!
Some points to consider making your next artwork:
Did you intend to give the moon a face or is it me seeing things that aren't?
I think the shadow on the wall thrown by the windowpane is a little mistake.
The (beautiful) colour of the sky is painted in two different tones divided by the windowpane (although possible).
I think your work has a very high standard!

leisure artist
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Lovely painting.....lots of detail to catch the eye,good colour choices,and love the cheery moon....Christine:)

AntonioBernal
06-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks, Coen and leisure artist for your kind words!

@Coen, I didn't intend to give the moon a face, but you are not the only one who has pointed at this, haha! Ah, well, the real moon has in fact a bit of a face, doesn't it? I've always thought that anyway, so I hope it's not too distracting, I could fix that though...

I'm not sure what you mean by the shadow on the wall thrown by the windowpane. I think I didn't put any shadows in the wall, just shaded parts, but if you could point at it or elaborate a bit more what you mean I'd appreciate it so that I can see what you mean, I have probably done more than one mistake with the shadows alright :)

Yes, the sky is painted in two colors, although the division by the windowpane is not intentional. The lower part of the sky is meant to be brighter as it gets the city lights, that's why I went for that pinkish tone, didn't realize the division falls exactly in the window beam, will keep that in mind.

Thanks again :)

Coen1
06-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Hello Antonio,

Right under the window, on the green wall above the bed, is an almost black rectangular form, read by me as a shadow.

AntonioBernal
06-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Hi Coen,

thanks for that. I'm afraid I still can't see why that would be a mistake, sorry, I must be really thick today (it's Monday after all).

Is the positioning of the shadow that seems wrong or do you think there should be no shadow at all there? Just to make sure we are in the same page, did you realize that bit of wall under the window is actually a windowsill, so it's horizontal rather than vertical? Maybe the angle is not very well drawn...I don't know.

Thanks again, I will keep thinking about it and collecting more feedback! :)

eyecandy2
06-11-2012, 10:42 AM
This is a nice piece of graphics if you are writing a childrens book of some kind which is what you are doing. It will work well so have fun.

painter1960
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Makes me want to read the book. Suppose that's what you were going for. Nice, cozy and whimsical. Am always amazed at folks who can work in this medium.

Coen1
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Ah Antonio, now I see. I didn't realize it was a windowsill! I'm sorry, my mistake.