PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Still Life WIP

Vegas Art Guy
06-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Here is my newest still life. 9"x12" oil pastel on canvas. Yes the wine bottle is that shape and that color. I'll post the updates as I get them taken. As always comments and critiques are encouraged:D

amanda
06-21-2003, 04:32 AM
I just noticed that no one replied to you about this one. I like the colours you have chosen, I'm sure you have done a lot more on it by now. It does need some shading but you've not finished it yet right? Are you going to post an update?

christmascarolnz
06-21-2003, 05:32 AM
Hiya Vegas. This is gonna be interesting...what op's are you using?
Cheers,
Carol

Vegas Art Guy
06-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Yes, I will be posting updates, as soon as I get batteries for my digital camera.:D I have done some more work on this so you'll be able to see my progress...

Dark_Shades
06-21-2003, 11:56 AM
lol.... are you sure about this wine bottle? ..... and its contents lol

.... ok Im waiting with the others for you to replace your batteries lol

Mikki Petersen
06-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Good start! Great colors! Wierd bottle! Sitting with the crowd waiting for your new batteries....

meowmeow
06-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Neat colors and great, funky shaped bottle! Get those batteries...we need an update!!!

Sandy

Vegas Art Guy
06-21-2003, 06:09 PM
:D Batteries loaded, update will follow shortly. Studying for my educational psychology final. :)

Vegas Art Guy
06-21-2003, 06:21 PM
OK here is Part 2 of the WIP:) Comments are encouraged... I.E. PLEASE COMMENT...:D

Dark_Shades
06-21-2003, 06:53 PM
lol Vegas.......... you took your time, I just saw the next stage in the still life forum lol :) ....... what I did just note as it was loading though is that the black the bottle is on, the angle is slightly off

Vegas Art Guy
06-21-2003, 07:33 PM
That is a black box that it is sitting on. It's actually sitting in front of the window in my studio, but I wanted the bottle to be the focal point of this piece so I simplified my compositon, otherwise there'd be a new definition for the work 'busy'. Maybe I'll post a pic of the setup just for fun :) I'll try to fix the box so it's even, I drw it correctly, guess I was in the pastel zone and it got away from me a bit :). Like the St. George flag btw. Had a friend explain how the union jack had come about. Very interesting...

Chelle
06-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Interesting bottle. It must be hand made. I, like Dark Shades, wondered if it was that shape before it was emptied? lol Looking forward to more updates. I have not been brave enough to try oil pastels.

Redsy333
06-21-2003, 08:39 PM
I think its a wonderful shape you have! I love the rich purple , but..lol.......yep the but.....
I think that it sits compositionally off a bit. I also think it needs more show of colors and values. Now of course this is a wip, so it may all change up. I would just like to see more colors within the bottle, reflections and what nots:) Since it is the focal point give it some Shazammm have fun with all the colors that the naked eye takes for granted;)

mhimeswc
06-21-2003, 11:48 PM
The darker green background on the left needs to continue for a little bit on the other side of the bottle. The way it is now, the bottle looks like it is "pushing" the dark green shape.

Michelle

Artaholic
06-22-2003, 01:12 AM
Nice bottle lovely color , are you just using oil pastels alone or blending with something?
Perhaps you should put more of the box to the left as the bottle looks like it may fall?? Waiting to see the next post.

Gerry

Vegas Art Guy
06-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I'll take a photo of the bottle and post it here for all to see. I have been blending the colors (my finger is green and purple!), but it is just oil pastels. I will be adding more reflections into the bottle, you know greens and blues and blacks that sort of thing. And yes I'm still working on the green sections, been thinking about adding some yellow to the greens. Hopefully I'll finish it before I leave on vacation, otherwise I'll finish it when I come back... And I acutally did not drink the wine that was in the bottle, my cousin did. She said I could keep it if I give her a painting of it. This might be the painting she gets... she'll just have to fly out from Georgia and get it :D :D

Dark_Shades
06-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Vegas Art Guy
Like the St. George flag btw. Had a friend explain how the union jack had come about. Very interesting...

Lol Vegas.... not alot of people know that ;) and think the Union Jack is the English Flag ..... or dont even know there is a difference :D

Vegas Art Guy
06-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, so far I've seen the english and the scottish flag, but not the welsh one? Or did I just miss it... I'll get the photo of the bottle posted as well and soon... I'm stilll studying for my final... bleh

:)
Greg

Mo.
06-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi Vegas, unusual bottle and colour. I agree with what's said about the table, the bottle is sort of perched precariously there, but as it's WIP I'm sure you'll alter things as you go... your fingers must be pretty sore with all that blending, why don't you try the shapers or torchons or even a dry flat hogshair brush, or some folded kitchen roll, all these will work excellently and will save your fingers too.

Look under my tinyhead, you will see the Welsh flag, it's a dragon, ... just like me. :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Look under my tinyhead, you will see the Welsh flag, it's a dragon, ... just like me. :D

Cheers,
Mo.

lololol

Vegas Art Guy
06-23-2003, 11:20 AM
So I did miss it! That's a nice looking flag. I fixed the bottle and am working on the background. I'll upload the latest version tonite after my final.

Greg

Vegas Art Guy
06-23-2003, 11:10 PM
OK here it is version 3... I'll finsih this when I return from vacation. And yay I finished my final and I think I got an A in my class!!!!:clap: Anyway please comment and suggest away so that when I come back I can finish this up and make it look GOOD :D

Greg

Dyin
06-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Is this a transparent or glass bottle? I liked the deeper purple and brighter highlight of your second pic...if it's an opaque color...as it's a WIP it's hard to say at this stage. The cork might need a touch of texture...I use my fingers a lot for blending too...but you might try cotton swabs...I like them second best...but get the economy pack...I get a full handful after every session! Am looking forward to the finished piece!

Vegas Art Guy
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
It's a glass bottle. I'll post a picture of the actually bottle when I get the chance.