PDA

View Full Version : Another Veveteen board

Luvy
06-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Well I bought a lot of this stuff. So better use it. I tried regular paper and just can't get the clarity of colors like on this stuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/2529-Womandoorway1.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Luvy: Whatever you are doing, keep doing, because this is the best thing I have seen you do thus far. Wow - you keep talking about this velveteen board - is it actually a mat board? Have not seen anything in the art catalogs like it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 03:00 AM
OHHHHHHHHH YEAH....... YEAH...... YEAH :clap: .......... this IS the best you have done so far............. LOVE IT ......... Luvy, DONT USE nothing BUT this stuff

..... its a little dark on my monitor

but its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy gorgeous........... well done

:clap: :clap:

E-J
06-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Luvy, this is really good. Looks more like an oil painting than a pastel. I'm not familiar with the velveteen board ~ is that the same thing as velour?

soap
06-20-2003, 03:17 AM
Luvy, I am amazed and full of admiration for the progress you've made! This is fantastic work! Be proud!

angeline
06-20-2003, 03:30 AM
Ditto ditto ditto!
Wonderful work......this support suits your style.

Smudger
06-20-2003, 04:24 AM
Simply Stunning:clap:

doe
06-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Great work Luvy - you're getting much more pastel on and the colors are more saturated - keep up the good work!

JohnnyRed
06-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Waht a superb piece of work!

I love the wall texture and the portraiture of the standing woman is excellent.

Is the door meant to be the way it is, or is it just my eyes going wonky?

Apart from that, it's a great painting. Keep up the good work!

If this support suits your style, which it seems to do, then keep on using it!!!

I look forward to more.

Anodyne
06-20-2003, 09:19 AM
You really know how to work that paper, excellent piece.

-Sonia =^.^=

Nori
06-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Wow, you have really landed in the midst of your talent! Wonderful composition, love the lady off to the left. So, do tell, how did this feel when you were working on it?

pampe
06-20-2003, 01:12 PM
wonderful, Luvy

where are you getting your velvet?

BTDogMom
06-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Luvy - this is OUTSTANDING!!! just wonderful:clap: :clap: :clap:

amanda
06-21-2003, 01:27 AM
Wow! That's a pastel? Amazing work, I love it. I love the subject matter too, very intersting. I love work with figures in it.

Inkling
06-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Wow Luvy, this is great!:clap:

Mikki Petersen
06-21-2003, 12:26 PM
This is stunning! So vibrant with all those great earth tones and highly contrasting shading. If I were you, I'd buy a lifetime supply of this velveteen board. It's your strong suit for sure!

meowmeow
06-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Wow! Luvy you are getting sooo good. I know the paper is helping but you really are doing wonderful work. This is great!

Sandy

Artaholic
06-22-2003, 01:34 AM
:clap: :clap: Luvy, excellent work!! I am also interested in where you got this paper???

Gerry

butterfly
06-22-2003, 08:11 AM
Wonderful ... Luvy I agree with everyone this is STUNNING:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You have to share ..... what is "velveteen board" ????

The subject matter is great also .... WONDERFUL

Roni/Butterfly

crumbedbrains
06-22-2003, 10:44 AM
I remember a little while ago you seemed to be in the dumps about your artwork . . .betchya your on a high now!! :) . . . . seems you've found your niche!!
Well done!!
Crumby

Luvy
06-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Wow this place is hopping *S* Thanks for the comments you all boost my ego pretty good.

Ok for the questions about this stuff I'm using. It's called velveteen mat board or I think suede mat board is the same. It's expensive but I got some from a frame shop around here and paid about $3.00 to $5.00 per piece. I have some big pieces and some smaller ones. Most frame shops have this. Joann's fabric even has it but they are no longer selling their extras from cutting a mat. They use these as mats for paintings. Here's what I'm talking about.

http://www.wintechmatboard.com/images/cornersetsila.jpg

and the site if you want to spend big bucks and have a way of cutting it down I'm sure they'll sell it to you *S* LOL

http://www.wintechmatboard.com/

At Michaels a guy told me if you can find Crescent they are cheaper. But Since I found a supplier from the framer think I'll stick to buying pieces. I heard it's about $70 per sheet that's 30 x 40

Hope I answered all the guestions But we have had a inquiry on this on the board. Found it when searching for this stuff
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3069

And it's about Crescent. Maybe we should all contract Crescent and tell them we need some cheap suede/velveteen to use *S*

Maybe Wet Canvas could ask Dick Blick since he advertises here to see if they could get this stuff in and cut to smaller pieces to buy

lorelou
06-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Wonderful painting. Keep it up:)

Mo.
06-22-2003, 06:43 PM
WOW Luvy... you have found what suits you in the matboard.

This is a ~ FANTASTIC ~ piece of work! You must be very proud indeed.

I LOVE IT!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers,
Mo.

christmascarolnz
06-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Luvy your painting is great!
Carol:clap:

Dyin
06-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Wow, luvy...this is great!!! Is this velveteen the same as the Hahnamuhle Velour paper? I see you just told about it...but is the 'nap' the same? You do lovely work on it...it's a touch dark on my browser too...but I took a peek at it on Photoshop with some brightness added...wow! Very, very nice work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luvy
06-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Dyin It feels like velvet when you run your hand across the board. Low pile but it feels like velvet or suede.

I've worked on the shadows and added some chickens as someone suggested. I've never done chickens but That never stopped me before LOL

Crumbled I feel much better lately since I found this stuff my colors stick better. Maybe I have a light hand on other papers and they don't catch the colors as well. I don't know but I do love this stuff.

Dyin
06-24-2003, 10:45 AM
The chickens add a nice touch! Sounds like the nap is pretty similar to the Hahnamuhle...it does seem to grab the pastel and keep the colors bright...it works somewhat differently with the OPs but still takes a good load...let's see some more great work now!

bnoonan
06-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Luvy - You are in your element. I am so impressed with this recent piece that I can't even begin to tell you.

You have captured so much in this one little scene and if it's the velveteen board - buy as much as you can and get to work.

You must enter this in the next competition you have a chance to. I know you occasionally do that - this one will be the winner for sure!!

Do more and share it with us. I'm so happy for you!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Barb

Artaholic
06-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Luvy, beautiful, I like the chickens. Who was that gal that was discouraged a while back???:clap: :clap:
By the way I figured out that a box of that mat board would figure out to $11.95 per 32 by 40 sheet . That is not too bad . sometimes on the glass forum someone will offer to buy by bulk and share with other members. I would like to do this but my DH would get upset as he is trying to pay down our credit cards. Maybe someone else could do that I would like at least one sheet to try out.

Any voulenteers out there?? The colors are beautiful but a nice gray or tan would be a great starter. it would be a little more with shipping.

Luvy
06-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks Bnoonan and Artaholic and Dyin.

Artaholic I just sent an email to

[email protected] To ask if they could sell smaller quanities and what I've used it for. Even sent them this picture. Asked if they might be able to sell smaller sizes also. Told them about Wet Canvas and the interest I've gotten on this velveteen board. So I'll see if they reply and will post what they say. Maybe we can get this as a new medium to be readily available at art stores in various sizes.

Artaholic
06-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Sounds great. I would really like to try it and they have so many beautiful colors!!

Gerry

Mikki Petersen
06-25-2003, 12:44 AM
I love the stuff, the few times I've tried it and would definitely be interested in a source other than collect frame shop scraps. You go girl!

Luvy
07-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Since I used one of this man's photo's as a reference I needed to ask him for permission. Here's his reply *S*

DF: Hi

On 7/4/03 9:06 AM, "Cathy Lee" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> ME: I was surfing the next and came across a photo of yours that
inspired me to
> paint it. I am enclosing a photo of my painting.

DF: It is beautiful.

M: I would like your permission
> to include your name as the photographer that took the photo
that inspired my
> painting. I am sure you will recognize the photo I am talking
about. If you
> prefer me not to use it I will respect your wishes.

DF: May I post your picture on my web site or in my next book? I
think
your work is beautiful - wonderful tones.

You can include my name as the inspiration. You might want to refer
to me
as the ethnographer whose work inspired you art since photographs are
only a
part of the work that I do to do ethnography and empowerment
evaluation.
>
> Thank you for your consideration.

Df: Best wishes.

- David