PDA

View Full Version : Journalling hiatus...

Keith Russell
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I have been jounalling, mostly in accordance with *The Artist's Way*, for nearly a decade.

Over othe last couple of years, I've noticed that most of my entries from the previous years have been of one of two basic types: either a long list of things I would like to accomplish, or a list of complaints about how I don't get enough done.

About a year ago, I decided to seriously focus my journals on more positive things, and I have noticed that my overall attitude has become more positive, and I have managed to accomplish a great deal more, as well, than I seemed to do, when I was following Ms. Cameron's advice about getting the negative stuff out of one's head, and onto the paper.

But--I have also noticed that I journal the most, when I'm the least "engaged" with my life, my art, etc. When I'm jounalling regularly, im very proud of my discipline in journalling, but I still regret that the time spent journalling wasn't spent drawing or working on art.

I finished the end of my current journal book this week, and I've decided not to start a new journal book right now. Instead, I'm going to try taking the time I would have ordinarily spend jounalling, and spend it drawing, painting, and sculpting, iinstead.

I think that, for me at this time, this will be a more productive use of my time.

We'll see...

DrDebby
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
You can combine words with pictures to accomplish both goals. Ms. Cameron, being a writer, is focused on the written word to find inspiration and ah-ha moments. A visual artist needs to be doing their art, doodling, sketching, some writing, to accomplish the same goal.

Studio-1-F
06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
. . . About a year ago, I decided to seriously focus my journals on more positive things, and I have noticed that my overall attitude has become more positive, and I have managed to accomplish a great deal more, as well, than I seemed to do, when I was following Ms. Cameron's advice about getting the negative stuff out of one's head, and onto the paper.
Interesting how your particular journaling method/theme/intent so positively affected your productivity. Too bad the day isn't twice as long, so as to allow us to do ALL the stuff we want to do!

Good luck and ====> enjoy!

Jan

vhere
06-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Journalling in that way has never been for me - my sketchbooks are about exploring, practising, thinking through ideas. They are positive things.

The nearest I came to that was a project on my degree, creating an artists book, (http://sitekreator.com/viviensketches/ravelled_sleaves.html)which was about juggling family, part time job and part time degree and all it's demands on time and me being different people for each. It didn't help the stress levels! but got me a good mark at least and was an interesting self-set challenge.