GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: anne boleyn
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 15 x 19 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
first ever attempt at oil ive only ever done a couple of water colours before too

ive tried to do a simple style 16th cent portrait

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any feedback please

dgford
06-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't paint in oils so there will be no comment on that. Just a couple of things for you to look at --- her right eye seems to be too high and the curves of the lids appear to be reversed (the upper is usually fuller than the lower). Her right cheek could be a little more generous and thereby lessen the "long and lean" look.
The rest of the painting is very satisfactory, especially as it is a first.
Geoff

Geekette
06-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Fantastic job for a first piece in oil! The hair and headdress is especially well done. The skin is looking a little flat - pay a bit more attention to the shadows on the face. Love the expression - very calm and serene.

Wayne burton
06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your comments !

Mikey
06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
A very nice start painting with oils. It is instantly reconizable as a painting of that period. One thing which is difficult with the original is the lack of value contrast in the head. You will see some red blusher, but very little colour variation.

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 08:37 AM
You have captured a nice expression in the eyes, and certainly the feel for this historical period. I can't determine how thick the paint is, sometimes turning to oils from watercolors is a bit tricky at first. You may have read lean to fat, thin to thick, as you build your surface, each painter is different, but it could be the photo that washes out some of the colors on my screen. What you have is a good representation, not knowing your style, if you are experimenting some as you go, you may like to add this site to your library. http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/ Keep up the good work!

eyecandy2
06-11-2012, 10:48 AM
For your first piece, you have done well. Of course you have a long but facinating road to travel to perfect you skills. I won't critique the faults in your painting because you will learn to see many of them by yourself as you study your source material and try to capture the essence of what you see. Just keep at it and enjoy this wonderful world of painting in whatever media you chose.

tgsloth
06-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Well, I'm guessing that you are employing a photograph as your reference. In looking at your painting, the thing that jumps out at me is drafting errors in the face. So I suggest you should paint the scene again after carefully measuring the form relationships in the photo vs your painting. If you can post an image of the photo, you'll get more comprehensive critiques from the forum.

Mikey
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone mind if I post this? I may have read the original was cost and this may be a copy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2012/28043-annboelyn.jpg

Erica Shipley
06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Question. Is she supposed to be looking forward or slightly off to the side? I have been studying similar styles myself and just checked out some books including a painting of her quite similar to yours. Before I critique I wasn't sure if you were taking artistic license with the face. I am researching the same thing you appear to be going for here so I am going to share what I have learned in hope it helps you.

It is beautiful and unsure if its the camera lighting washing it out or not.

I agree the face is a little flat. Dont be afraid of shadows. I was taught to step back 10 feet and squint and if its all one shade its either to dark or to light and I can see where to balance it that way. I also take a lot of cell photos and look on the computer to get some disconnect between me and my work. I also hold it up in front of a mirror and look at the reflection.

Her face angles are a little bit sharp. Maybe some cheekbones and soft shape to the left side would make it look more in proportion. Also the direction of brushstrokes can give the eye the impression of shapes.

There is a natural human thing with our eyes that we make faces shaped funny but if your aware of it you can make corrections easier. I discovered this by reading about artists use of lenses and mirrors to transfer images and they showed the difference between the two types of artists. This is why some old styles have flatter faces then others.

I also would say don't rush and do paint organized. Unsure if you painted the skin or accessories first. I recommend finishing the skin and when your happy with it carefully and slowly work in the necklace so you don't interrupt the flow of her skin under the necklaces. This way you get the shadows of her body in the right place instead of trying to paint them around an object. This will give the accessories more depth too.

I think you have a nice style and will develop it into something quite nice.

tgsloth
06-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Ok, now we've got a reference and you can start to build a check list of things to correct. Corrections can be done by re-painting on the existing piece or painting another. I'd suggest you paint another so you can compare and see the improvements. Here's a start to a checklist:
You've got the "short head" problem. The eyes should be in the center of the head vertically and your eyes are too close to the top of the head or, put another way, you need a taller forehead and hair.
The eyes are too large
The eyes should be level, yours slant downward
The head is too large compared to the neck
The chin is too sharp.
So let's see another and measure, measure, measure.