PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

painter1960
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-08-2012/15045_282813_3337286676343_1964461580_n[1].jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 42
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
First time I've painted or posted in well over a year

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
looking for constructive criticism to finish the piece

painter1960
06-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I noticed his ears were disproportionate. This was drawn/painted from a photograph and the ears looked disproportionate in the photo as well. His nose is not asymetrical but again, it was not so in the photo. Not receiving any feedback but suppose being the new guy on the site, (once again), doesn't help. Would genuinely like to hear recommendations for completing the piece. It is a gift to our oldest son.

Ms Nan
06-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I am not experienced enough to give you a real critique, but I like your cat. Glad to see your post. It is true that in real life things are not always perfectly symmetrical, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Are the eyes so very different in the photo? He has a sort of grumpy look, but has a beautiful coat.

Coen1
06-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Because your painting isn't a photo I would correct the ears and nose on your painting. You chose to give your son a painting (he must be very happy with it!), not a photo. I realise this is a rather personal statement.
On the right side your works looks a bit overexposed (I hope I said there is a bit too much light, cause that's what I intended - English is not my main language), mainly around the head. The colour of the eyes 'should' be switched, the darker eye on the left, in the shadow area, if you want them to look different. The eyes differ in size a little.
Still, a fine piece. It's well drawn, the skin (coat), which typifies a tiger, is done succesfully and shows a lot of beautiful depth. The colorising shows a neat job ( I like the darkening of the coat on the bottomside of your work, underneath the beard a bit overdone).
Let us know, if you like, how your son reacted to this beautiful, personal present.

Coen

painter1960
06-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Coen thanks for the critique. I've fixed the ear and nose and will work on the shadowing under the beard. Agree that it appears overdone. Coincidentally, your English is much better than those for whom it is the primary language.

Debzy
06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Maybe a bit of softening around the white edges of fur would help and perhaps a toning down of the bsckground green? He is a very handsome fellow and a lot of work has gone into this.... I know because I did a painting of my cats face and it was painstaking to get it right! I love Tigers and will do one some day and I love your painting! Cheers. Debs. = ))

AntonioBernal
06-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Hello, painter1960.

I think Coen gave you some sound advise. I'm not too bothered about the dispproportionate ears, however the eyes stroke me as the right eye looks way too dark to me, considering the shadowing in the rest of the face, so I would give priority to this.

I like the background, but there seems to be a bit of a "halo" effect by the top-right of the canvas, around its ear. Not sure if this is intentional but I found it a bit distracting. I think the darker tones work better as they will bring up your tiger's face.

I think you are doing a great job and your son will love it! Please feel free to upload a new version if you make some changes and I'll be happy to try to give you some more feedback! Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Antonio

PS: As Coen also said, English is not my native tongue so I do apologise if some of my ideas do not make much sense or are vaguely expressed! :)

painter1960
06-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Debzy, Antonio, et al
Corrected the ear, and shading under the beard. I'm struggling with either increasing ths shadow on the right side of the cat's face to justify the darker eye or lightening the eye itself. It appears that dark in the photo.Will repost when all is complete. Thanks for the great feedback.

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Doing well here - since the work is acrylic, you may wish to study these and others by Robert Bateman who shares your medium and might help inspire with the shadows and such - http://www.robertbateman.ca/paintings/TigerDusk.htm What a nice gift for your son. Welcome to Wetcanvas :)

painter1960
06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Eyes are now more equally balanced in color. Ears are also more proportional. Shadowing under beard has been markedly softened and am nearly ready to seal and frame. Questions, comments, recommendations welcome and wanted.

Debzy
06-10-2012, 09:06 PM
He really is a handsome devil, you have really captured that proud and curious yet knowing look that cats have!!! I absolutely love him. I think I preferred the original background, but that is only an opinion not a crit! Top effort. Cheers, Debs. =))

painter1960
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Debzy,
Thanks for the crit. I wasn't totally good with the new background either and may revert to the original. The framing, since this piece is 42" x 36" will be my next dilemma. Looked at the paintings you did of your cat. Very nice. Cats are fun to draw/paint, both big and little ones. Thinking of doing some horse pieces next. It's great to be back in my studio.

Debzy
06-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks Bobby for your compliment, yes I really enjoyed painting my little Pepper! I still haven't framed it either, it is a dilemma for me too because the work took so long and it is for my own home (for my daughter), so I want it to be really nice and suit the painting. Jury is still out on the frame!!! Would love to see you do some horses, I've never tried them, I am thinking I would like to do a monkey or wolf maybe? For the moment I am just working on landscapes, but I'm forever thinking about what else I can start, it drives me crazy sometimes because I don't have much spare time. Love your tiger, and whatever background you choose, I'm sure it will look awesome. Good luck and happy painting! Cheers. Debs. =))

greensyster
06-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Glad I arrived late! Big improvements :clap:

My crit is only that this big beautiful cat would benefit from a consistent light source.

painter1960
06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
debzy and greensyster, thanks for the feedback. When I give this to our son, I'll suggest he mount a light above it. Cheers