PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different...

mel-ink
06-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone!

Thought I would share one of my projects that I have been working on lately. This is all hand-lettered, scanned and scaled down to fit a 8.5 x 11 format :eek: printed on wedding stationary. Comments, suggestions and critiques always welcome!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/6949-wc2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/6949-wc3.JPG

BTW - Does anyone know what, if any, copyright laws apply to written work?

magnuscanis
06-20-2003, 08:10 AM
First, a comment: I like the look of this.

Next, a suggestion: post a bit bigger - it's a bit too small for us to see and appreciate the detail at the moment.

I'm not an expert on copyright law. Is this a piece of your own creative writing which you want to safeguard against plagiarism, or somebody else's text which you want to check is ok to use?

If you can't find an answer on this forum, there are other forums at WC which might be able to help. There's certainly an art business one, and I think there might be a dedicated one for legal matters as well. I don't know though, as I don't hang out in those parts of WC myself.

artdude
06-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Nice lettering and design work Mel!! :clap: Works well on the wedding stationary! :) Copyright laws do apply to written work as far as I know. You could inquire about it in the Art Business forum. They could probably give you a more detailed answer :D

Jakeally
06-20-2003, 10:08 AM
Beautiful lettering Mel:clap: :clap:

mel-ink
06-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Thank you, magnuscanis! If I could figure out how to make it bigger, I would :( ... the uploader used to do it for me, but now it has to be the right size when it's uploaded! Any suggestions?

This piece was written by a Donna Targo, whose name appears at the end. You see so much of this kind of stuff at art & craft fairs! I will check it out in Art Business.

Thanks Murray!! It was interesting getting ALL this to fit without looking crowded! Yep, I'll go check it out in AB...there';s good links there too, I think!

Hiya Chris! Thanks for your nice comment!

:D :D :D

magnuscanis
06-20-2003, 12:11 PM
My suggestion would be to not scale down the original scan quite so much. :) Usually I aim to bring mine (which are digital photos, but it's the same principal) down to the size so that the larger dimension is 500 pixels. Should upload with no problems then, provided the filesize is less than 100KB (usually is, with a jpeg of that size).

captan
06-20-2003, 12:45 PM
In photoshop - choose Image > Resize > Image Size - and just type in the size in pixels in either one of the two top fields. The uploader accepts any files with width less than 500 and height less than 600. So just type in whichever one in the appropriate field that makes the biggest possible image that is within these limits. For example: I have an image that is 3024px wide and 4376px high in 400ppi. I type in 500 for the width and now the other field says 724 - that's not good since that's above the 600 pixel limit - so I just try again and type 600 in the height-field and now I get a pic that is 415x600px - and it should work on WC. Note that this won't change the resolution - so the pic will look really tiny when you look at it in Photoshop, but remember that browsers display images all in the same resolution (usually between 72-75ppi) - so that won't matter anyway. Save as a jpeg - and you are done!

mel-ink
06-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Thank you magnus and captan for helping me out with my scanning issues! I'll give it a try later and see how it goes!

BTDogMom
06-20-2003, 04:00 PM
WOW!! This is awesome! All hand lettered - u may b frickin' crazy, but I love it!:clap: :clap:

mel-ink
06-20-2003, 04:21 PM
:crying: I can't get it! I followed your advice, but the uploader box keeps telling me I have too many bytes and to resize it, and when I do, it's tiny again! :mad: It can byte me! :D

Thanks BT!! Crazy? Guilty!! This was a hand-masher, to be sure!!

Elankat
06-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Wow! Ambitious stuff. I can't do lettering worth a darn.

As to copyright, the same rules apply to writing. Work is copyrighted for 70 years after the death of the writer. If this is old enough, then no worries. If it's more recent than that, it's protected by copyright and you should seek permission to use, particularly if you are seeking to reprint multiple, distributed copies and/or are receiving income from it.

There's a link in my sig to the US Office of Copyright. That has all the info.

mel-ink
06-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi LeAnne! Thanks for the info...I was reading a bunch of stuff on the copyright site and saw that literary works are protected too. It did say something about short phrases being useable, though, however, just what is a "short" phrase? *sigh* Another gray area I guess. But, always better to be safe than sorry!!! No mass-production planned here, that's for sure!!

BTW - Take care of that finger!! :) Glad it's healing well!

sassybird
06-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I worked up a type face of my own a long time ago, but I never did a copyright. I'm not sure of the laws either. I like the font, and I agree that scaling it down loses something.