PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Question

Vegas Art Guy
06-19-2003, 03:03 PM
I know this is going to sound stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway, becauseI can never remember (I tend to switch mediums fairly often, acrylics to pencils to chacoal and conte, to oil pastels and back. All those rules and mediums seem to run together :D) Can you use fixtive with oil pastels, and can you go over fixative with more oil pastels? If not then what do I use? I use Van Gogh oil pastels, they seem to work really well with canvas. Let me know...

Thanks
Greg

E-J
06-19-2003, 03:31 PM
hello Greg

I don't know of a fixative for oil pastels. The surface of an oil pastel picture, although it gets less sticky once it's been left for a while, essentially stays 'wet' and you need to protect it with a sheet of tracing/glassine paper or frame it under glass.

Don't know if anyone's pointed you yet to the Oil Pastel Info thread, but it's packed with useful information on the medium:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98103

Vegas Art Guy
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
I did look there, I'll have to go look again. Maybe in smaller bites, I think my eyes glazed over about page 3;) ... Still looking one more time can't hurt...

Greeble
06-19-2003, 08:12 PM
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/shop/productdetail.asp?product_id=0044821000000

I didn't know one couldn't use a fixative with oil pastels, so I ordered the one from jerry's. I haven't gotten it yet, so I haven't had a chance to try it

Jen
(who is very new to oil pastels)

E-J
06-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Jen ... I've never seen this product before, nor heard of anyone using it ... perhaps Mo or Wendy or one of the seasoned oil pastellists will be able to shed some light on whether it's useful?

magnuscanis
06-20-2003, 08:47 AM
I seem to remember that I asked a similar question on this forum back in January or so when I first arrived here. I'll go and see if I can find it.

I think the answer was that you can get special fixatives for oil pastels, but it wasn't clear whether they were actually very different from normal fixatives or just a marketing gimmick.

I've never tried fixing my oil pastels, and haven't had a problem so far.

magnuscanis
06-20-2003, 08:49 AM
I managed to find the link I was after. Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84243) it is.

Healer
06-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Greeble,

I have some of that sennelier oil pastel fixative. It may still darken the picture, especially if you apply too much. The pump bottle is quite difficult to get the hang of if trying to apply a fine coat. I used the fixative once and it darkened my picture (a lot). Maybe I applied too much so I would say if you are thinking of using it to try it out on a small piece of work on the same type of surface as that's what I'm going to do next time I think about using it. It does smell nicer than aerosol fixatives though because it is alcohol based. Like has been already said, most people just frame behind glass without fixative. That will be fine as long as the picture is not touching the glass.

I'm not sure if the fixative is workable (able to add more oil pastel over it) - I would again recommend experimenting on a scrap piece of paper.

Andy

Greeble
06-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Healer
Greeble,

I have some of that sennelier oil pastel fixative. It may still darken the picture, especially if you apply too much. The pump bottle is quite difficult to get the hang of if trying to apply a fine coat. I used the fixative once and it darkened my picture (a lot). Maybe I applied too much so I would say if you are thinking of using it to try it out on a small piece of work on the same type of surface as that's what I'm going to do next time I think about using it. It does smell nicer than aerosol fixatives though because it is alcohol based. Like has been already said, most people just frame behind glass without fixative. That will be fine as long as the picture is not touching the glass.

I'm not sure if the fixative is workable (able to add more oil pastel over it) - I would again recommend experimenting on a scrap piece of paper.

Andy

OOH, thanks. I really wasn't looking for a workable fixative. I made a picture that I really want to keep. My painting teacher was of no help. "they aren't arCHIval" So I went looking for something. I will *definately* test it on scrap pieces first!

Jen

Vegas Art Guy
06-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Wow tons of information. Hopefully this will help. That last project I posted I did not want to frame it if possible. I have the piece going around the edges so that it would not be necessary to get it framed under glass...

Syndia
10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Okay, this is an old thread but hey...

I'm new to oil pastel but so far I love the texture and the versatility. I like that it's closer to drawing than paint and that you can easily carry them anywhere without having to do a big clean up. Plus the creamy high contrast colors are DIVINE! My only problem with it is that I don't want to frame it or to put in under glass. I don't like the look of it. I want to paint oil pastels on "gallery" canvas without frame.

My other issue is the fact that when you put very light colors over very dark ones it's difficult to acheive good contrast.

I've been looking for workable fixatives to add on highlights and more details and also vanishes to protect against dust and smudges. But there is a lot of contradicting info out there...

I use gesso as a base and it works great, the oil pastels stick very well. I thougt I could use Matte Medium as a sealer but it peels right off. Same with transparent gesso on top of oil pastels. Off it comes if you lightly scratch.

But I deceided to just try the KRYLON workable fixative for dry pastels & charcoal and Eureka! it works. It does not peel off if I scratch and I can put vibrant white on black wihout problems. Too good to be true??? As far as I could tell it did not affect the luminosity of the colors either... don't know if it would with time though?

All I need now is to find a permanent varnish that would stick and allow for a light dusting once in a while and insure the final work would not smudge.

I've read pretty much all the posts on the subject here and the general concensus is that the best thing is to put it under glass... It's great if you like it but I'm just not satisfied with that. Hopefully I've find something. if you have suggestions, please share! :o)