PDA

View Full Version : fabulously friendly Fiji Hut

Debzy
06-08-2012, 02:15 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-08-2012/978806_finished_Fiji_Hut.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: fabulously friendly Fiji Hut
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10 X 13 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A watercolour from a photo taken in Fiji (from car window again). I would like to cll this finished but any suggestions or critiques are welcome as it is not framed as yet!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C & C welcome. =)) Cheers. Debs.

Ian_Myford
06-08-2012, 05:17 AM
It's well titled. It has a friendly, easy on the eye, feel about this.

You've signed it I would frame it now.

Debzy
06-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Awww...... Thanks Ian! It was a very friendly place, I felt so welcome in Fiji. The people were lovely and treated us like family. x

arnieb
06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Like the toutch ups youve done to this one - got a lovely airy feel to it. :thumbsup: Arnie

tgsloth
06-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I think this is one of your best. The composition, the feeling, the confident brushstrokes and the drafting are all top notch. I have one thought. The greens you're using are rather intense in chroma. The painting might look better if the greens were more muted. This would allow the children and hut to stand out more. Here's a photoshop as to how that might look. It could be accomplished with glazes on the actual painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/124239-978806_finished_Fiji_Hut.jpg

Debzy
06-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Thanks Bob, I like what you did with the glaze! Is it just a thin colour washed over the top of the tree colour, like a thin olive colour or grey perhaps? I like how it has toned down the greens, much better and it brings the children forward! Thank you, how would I do that? Cheers Debs. =))

tgsloth
06-09-2012, 07:22 AM
The glaze should be heavily diluted with water and there are two approaches to muting the greens. You can use a light gray such as Paynes or maybe a warmer color like burnt sienna. Or go with a complement like alizerin crimson which is quite transparent. The risk is that while muting the greens, you make them too dark. My guess would be that Alizerin would be the best choice as it would introduce some red notes which would resonate nicely with the kids and the hut. BUT. This is such a good painting that you've got to be sure so take an extra bit of watercolor paper and replicate a swath of the intense greens. Then try out your glazes to be sure you're getting the effect you want as there's no going back. As an oil painter mostly, I think you watercolorists are like bungee jumpers!

Debzy
06-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Thank you so much Bob, I will try it out first but I really appreciate your help and advice because I have never used a glaze before! I prefer the muted greens, they look much better and create a more accurate scene. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again for your time and trouble. Cheers and keep smiling! Debs. =))

Coen1
06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Fabulously friendly drawing. Even with these nice kids and their bags in front, the hut stays keyrollplayer. Right above and beside the hut I would love to have seen a bit more of the sky, though I can't tell you why. Just curious.:)

Debzy
06-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks Coen, I appreciate your comments! I hadn't really noticed the trees above the hut blocking the sky, but now you mention it, I can create a few peep holes there, and it may aerate the scene some more! Thanks again I will try that! Cheers. Debs. =))

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Lively piece - makes one cheerful. One tiny nit is the way the boy's hair hits the lower corner of the door. Hardly worth mentioning - love the energy in this one.

Andrewcody
06-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Lovely feel to this Deb
Feels friendly too :)

Debzy
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks LB and Andrew!!! I will look at altering the hair or the door, I think it's possible? So glad it feels friendly Andrew, that is what I hoped for. It was a friendly place, and I had a super happy holiday ! Cheers Debs =))