PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Man with Owl

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Hello, Pen and Ink people. I'm crashing the party from the pastel forum. For reasons I don't understand, I chose to work a rendering of a man with an owl on his shoulder, from a photo by Madmum in the RIF, in pen and ink. I am using Sakura Micron pens with archival ink. I worked the man all in black ink but, because it was there, I chose to add sepia ink to the owl. I'm not sure if this was such a good idea now.

Any advice for a beginner is greatly appreciated.

Man with Owl
Pen and Ink on Bristol Board
9x12
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/14550-manwith_owl_a.jpg

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Don''t know why I chose a portrait for a first stab at this. I was just so intrigued with the subject...maybe I should have just done the hat!? LOL...

Anyway, here is a detail image so you can better see the pen strokes to critique them.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/14550-manwith_owl_detail.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Jakeally
06-19-2003, 05:48 AM
Lol...you can crash our forum any time you like Mikki:D
What a great start.....this is going to be one heck of a picture. I like the sepia and I don't see anything wrong with the pen strokes. The real experts will be along shortly and I'm sure they will love it too.
That hat is marvelous....looks just like my dad's old hat that he had for years:clap: :clap:

seejay
06-19-2003, 05:50 AM
Gate crash anytime!;)

This is a challenging pic to do as your first one, and I'm sure you're learning a lot! Looks good so far. The sepia may be a bit too much, but you can always darken bits later if you think it needs it.

MonicaB
06-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Wow, this is awesome! Hard to believe it's your first P&I. I find doing people very difficult in ink, but you're doing a fantastic job. I like the sepia too. Like Seejay said, you can always add black to tone it down if you don't like the final result. Wonderful job, Mikki.

artdude
06-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Next time you crash this forum make sure you bring along an ink drawing like this one! It's GREAT!! :D Very good line work in this. You're sure you haven't done this before? :) Can't comment much on the sepia yet because there isn't much there yet. I would like to know what the dark shadowing is under the man's beard. It looks a bit too dark. Would it be possible to post the reference pic?

:clap: AWESOME!!! :clap:

DSPIT
06-19-2003, 12:31 PM
This is great. Not enough sepia there to make a determination as yet, but looks to me that it will be just fine. The portrait part is just awesome.

Bob

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your warm welcome and encouragement. I am known for jumping right into things without taking the proper learning steps...I get caught up inthe moment, LOL. Anyway here is a link to the reference photo. First thing you will notice is that the "portrait" is not a good likeness to the man. That's because I did not do a very thorough pencil sketch first. I gave him a ski jump nose instead of the noble roman nose the man has...but can't erase permanent ink. I don't suppose Wite-Out is allowed?...oh well...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=11350&papass=&sort=1
Thanks again for looking!

Jakeally
06-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Absolutely not....no white out allowed....hehehehehe....:D

mel-ink
06-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Beautiful work!! Such wonderful technique! I think the sepia was a great idea! Please keep posting!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

jjsangel
06-19-2003, 08:26 PM
I love this. I think you have done a wonderful job on your line work in all of this. Even the lines on the face are great. I would think a face would be very hard. I agree with the others about the sepia, there really isn't enough to go by, (looks good so far) but you could always tone it down later on if you think it is too bright.

surreal
06-20-2003, 12:52 AM
wonderful drawing.

Mikki Petersen
06-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Thank you Mel, Sharon and Nina for your encouraging comments. Hope to get further on the owl this weekend.

BTDogMom
06-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Mikki,
The only thing I can help u with is your ego - I think this is a beautiful start!! - It's wonderful!:clap: :clap: :clap:

MarciaJane
07-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Wow !!!! Mikki what a superb drawing - wonderful - can't wait to see it finished !!!!!!

Marcia

sassybird
07-03-2003, 04:07 PM
It is nice to have you visit us over here:D You did a great job on this. I have a friend that collects owls and he would love this pice. The man looks comfortable with his feathered friend:D