PDA

View Full Version : A sunset called Lisa.... Help please?

Debzy
06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I am aware that this is looking very amateurish and I am having trouble. It is early stages but I just feel lost on this one. It is from a photo, but some ideas or advice on what it needs would be gratefully appreciated if anybody can help me? Thanks. Debs. =))

arnieb
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Certainly dont think its looking amateurish. Looking almost done - lovely peaceful scene.
A couple of suggestions: tree trunk looks kind of thin lower down, try lightening the top of ridge to push it back, and the 3/4 most distant boats to push them back also. Try rippling the reflections of the masts etc - they look a little sharp, and perhaps a suggestion of a few ripples in the foreground where blue meets red. Hope these comments help. Arnie

song_bird
06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I would suggest adding some yellow, some lighter clouds with the light shining through, and some bright reflections on the water.

Lovely scene coming along! I love your boats, fluid sky and water, and the overall composition.

(The perspective of the cabin on boat #2 seems a bit off.)

Debzy
06-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks so much Arnie and Song bird. I do feel that there is too much pink and blue and purple, and i also agree that I should soften the boats further back and the mountain ridge at the right perhaps? Some ripples would help and I think perhaps on the branches some olive green touches and perhaps a hint of orange / yellow in the sky. Also, I think I will change some of the boat colourings to show variety. I will post the reference photo, so you can see where i am coming from. Much appreciated assistance, thanks again I will have a go at improving this one. Cheers. Debs. =))

tylerminix1231
06-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Your work doesn't look amateurish at all! The only thing that really bothers me is the tree. I know it's in the original ref. photo, but I would take some artistic license and get rid of it completely. I think it would make for a very powerful painting. The tree just seems to hold it back, and limit the piece for some reason.

Debzy
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I will consider that Tyler, only trouble is that it is watercolour and the tree is very dark, I may have difficulty. I could lighten it some maybe? still have to put leaves on and also do the branches at the other side. I may do two of this scene, one with trees and one without! Thanks for your feedback! Cheers. Debs =))

tony1
06-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I think the tree is too far from the edge. Maybe the mat or frame will take care of that. It's just a bit too far, not much.

I would also add some leaves to the tree, otherwise it's setting a spooky affect on the painting.

This is by no means amateurish, but I think you're just not fully happy with how it's turning out.

I would still add some lines to the water to indicate that it is water. But that's a personal preference.

It's coming along fine, and I've watched your work - don't worry it will come around, no matter what you decide to do.

I like the palette, really nice, but I think another color(s) may be needed?

I like how you did the distant hills.

You've got it here, just a touch more work to get it where you want it.

Andrewcody
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi Deb, have to agree with Tyler regarding that tree.
I would also extend those mast reflections

Andrew

Debzy
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks Tony and Andrew, yes, you're right, I need to just pull my finger out and get on with it and see what happens. It is only paint, paper and water, it isn't the end of the world if I'm not happy with it. I will keep the tree for now, add leaves and also the branches on the right. I will thicken up the bottom of the tree and crop it closer to the left when I frame it. I agree too the water needs some highlights and more colour variations in the boats. The masts will be longer and there will be more, I am leaving them until last. Thank you so much, if it doesn't turn out, I can do another one!!!!! Thanks for the encouraging feedback and useful advice. I almost scrapped it last week! Cheers Debs. =))

Trumper
06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
:) Hi Debzy,your painting with the colour reminds me what this lovely chap told me a few years ago about doing this painting http://www.robin-smith-art.co.uk/painting-detail/051.html

He said the colours used were not easy to find as the brain interprets them a different way to the eyes and trying to find the correct mixture.
Looking good.

Debzy
06-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Yes, thank you Trumper! Wow, what beautiful work he did! I can see there are a few paintings in his galleries that are similar to what I am trying to achieve, I am very grateful for your trouble in helping me with this! I will attack it with a fresh approach and see what becomes! Cheers and I much appreciate your reference assistance! =)) Debs

Jonathan Brice Lyman
06-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Trumper's example, relates well with your painting, Debzy, and it
suggests one thing that I'd add to your piece...

Green

If you decide to add pine needles or even leaves, mixing a touch of
dark green inside the black silhouette could add the balancing color to
the overall scheme.

Cheers :)

Debzy
06-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks Jonathan, I was thinking of adding some olive green to the branches/leaves etc, and maybe some cream or gold to warm up the purples and blues a bit. I will post the next instalment soon, I appreciate your advice!. Cheers and have a great day. Debs. =))

Andrewcody
06-14-2012, 03:14 AM
I am certain you will achieve a good result

Debzy
06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Awww Thanks Andrew, i will be doing some work on it tomorrow. =)) Let you know how it goes. Cheers and have a lovely weekend. Debs.

Debzy
06-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Well, I have done a little more on this today, I have added some gold/yellow into the sky, water and the boats, changed some of the boat colours a little, added some dark green to the tree, thickened the tree, and added the branches on the right side. I still have to put ripples in the water to take away from the flatness, add some foliage to the branches and paint in the masts of the boats. Any other suggestions very welcome. Cheers everyone and thanks for the valuable advice so far. Debs. =))

Debzy
06-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Ohhh Hmmmmmm....... Still not feeling good with this one. I am going to add some darker leaves, darken the boats a little, blur the reflections a little, give them long masts and..... I think that is all I will do. =))

song_bird
06-17-2012, 01:21 PM
This is a lovely and peaceful painting! I wouldn't be so discouraged with it. I think it needs more highlighting, that white glow with the light. Some suggestion of green in the tree silhouettes, which are very sensitively rendered. Here's an example of how that might look:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2012/222563-lisa_sunset.jpg

tylerminix1231
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
WOW this turned out to be a great painting!!!!!!! Good for you!! I need to do more paintings like this; all mine seem to be mid-day or early afternoon. Love The boats as well. Over-all a very calm painting. For some reason I'm getting a hudson river school feel from this. Love it!!

God bless,
Tyler.

Jonny_L
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
You've done a good job on the boats, but their tone is much closer to the surrounding water than on the photo. If you squint your eyes, you see a sharp contrast - especially between the boat reflections and their surrounding water (reflected sky) in the photo - not so much in your rendering.
The boats would stand out a lot more, and catch the eye, if there were had greater contrast (tonally) against their background, imo.
Nice atmosphere, composition otherwise.
J

Debzy
06-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Arrrggghhhh.... Still not happy with this, I added some tree foliage and I am going to put the masts on the boats tomorrow and reflection masts and then I think I will leave it. =))

Debzy
06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I have tried to darken the reflections of the boats and add a little more detail to some, I have added the masts and reflections. Do you think it needs anything else??? :crossfingers: :D Debs.

Andrewcody
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
You have done it again Deb
Looks really nice

Andrew

Jonny_L
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Great - works very well, balanced, composed, nice tones, interesting.

Debzy
06-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Thank you so much Andrew and Jonny! I have posted it in the open forum now as I feel it is finished, may get some more viewpoints there too. All your encouragement is very much appreciated, =)) cheers Debs. p.s. Andrew, I wonder if Emus swim??? lol.