PDA

View Full Version : Little farm near Gundagai... Australia

Debzy
06-07-2012, 02:30 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-07-2012/978806_finished_farmyard_in_wagga.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Little farm near Gundagai... Australia
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 9 x 14 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was painted from a photo i took through the car window earlier this year on the way to Wagga Wagga. It is somewhere near Gundagai. I added the windmill and wheelbarrow for extra colour and interest, they were not in the reference photo.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to call this finished, but it's not too late to add or change a few things. Let me know what you think please. =)) Cheers. Debs.

Andrewcody
06-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Hi Deb, looks like they had a bit of rain.

Looks ok to me, my only comment would be that you don't often see windmills that close to out buildings. Plus there will be a water holding tank near by. That may be one to the bottom right of windmill and if so I apologize.

Over all it is a pretty picture

Andrew

Debzy
06-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Ha yes Andrew, I added some more green as I thought it was a bit barren in the older stages. And yes, I didn't think about the holding tank, but could be the one at bottom right, or behind the sheds??? Thanks Andrew, you are funny!!! Hope you are keeping well. Cheers. Debs. =))

dgford
06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Aren't they lovely? --- these old places you see as you travel across country? Sometimes not quite so comfortable to live in, though. I have seen windmills sometimes just outside the backyard but how anyone can sleep at night with them creaking away all night is a mystery.
I love the atmosphere in this one.
Geoff

Coen1
06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Well done. I like the atmosphere it's spreading. You're obviously skilled with brushes.
I'm not sure about the space you permitted the air in this, but I guess that's a personal statement. In my opinion the hill and trees on it could deviate some more in colour with trees and soil on the bottomside of your work.
But in the first place a fine piece!

crazywoman53
06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
A nice little wc... To create more depth the trees on the ridge could be blued a little more so they don't read on the same plane as the other trees. You've nearly split the composition between land and sky.. perhaps a little less sky next time around? Quaint scene though.. nice job!

eyecandy2
06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I never painted with water colors but I think that you have done a fabulous job with them. I would have liked to see a little more atmospheric perspective, but I'm not sure if you can do that with water colors. I have also been looking for shadows and I see none so I wonder where the light is coming from. With all my comments, I like the painting.

Debzy
06-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Thank you so much Geoff, Coen, Christine and Phil! Yes, there are some lovely scenes of little farmyards around this area, Every turn in the road showed another magnificent set of rolling hills and farm type settings. I agree for sure Christine about the background trees, they need to be greyed down some to push them back, thank you, and I actually did have lots more sky but I cropped it because I splashed some paint up the top and it looked dirty and I couldn't clear it enough. =)) I also agree with you Coen, I have decided to change the background trees to a different colour and maybe vary the line of them, also add a pile of sticks to the foreground or maybe some posts leaning against the building here and there? I also may put a couple of distant flying birds in the scene to add more life. Thanks Phil also, I did add a few subtle shadows under the wheelbarrow and some of the trees, but the photo was an overcast day and it was difficult to get atmospheric perspective. I know what you mean, i can see it myself, any ideas to change this a bit would be welcome. I will post the reference photo and you can see what I mean. Thanks again WC friends, valuable suggestions and much appreciated. Cheers Debs. =))

Andrewcody
06-08-2012, 03:40 AM
How far to the dog on the tucker box?

Yes Deb I am doing ok.

Debzy
06-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Ha ha Andrew, not too far away I don't think!!! about half an our maybe ??? Would probably be a good painting to do!!!! Cheers fellow Aussie! =))

Debzy
06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Ha ha Andrew, not too far away I don't think!!! about half an our maybe ??? Would probably be a good painting to do!!!! Cheers fellow Aussie! Glad you are well. =))

arnieb
06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Youve finished this one off nicely:thumbsup: beautiful piece. Arnie

Debzy
06-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Ok, I have tried to mute the distant trees a bit and bring the closer ones forward. I tried to add a grey glaze to the distant trees, but I don't think I was successful. I have added some rubble and tried to show light source by adding some shadow, although it was an overcast day. i have added a few birds in the sky and also there is more sky than I originally showed. I was wondering, firstly, do you prefer the cropped version, or the more sky version? secondly, i know it appears quite vivid in colour, I think that is the camera, the original is not as vivid and is more in keeping with the Australian scenic colours. Any and all critique welcome. I am still open to suggestions, but being a watercolour I am finding it more and more difficult to make changes as I have added so much already. Cheers. And thanks for all advice, very much appreciated!!! =)) Debs. :crossfingers: :grouphug:

Andrewcody
06-11-2012, 09:28 AM
This has turned out really well
Andrew

Debzy
06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Thank you so much Andrew, as always I really appreciate your feedback, advice and encouragement. Oh, and your humour! =)) The emu was priceless!!!! lmao. :clap: :D Cheers. Debs.

greensyster
06-12-2012, 04:50 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2012/135872-anot6herview.jpg

You are telling the story very well and I like your improvements. But.... :lol: ..... thought you might like yet another view. Sadly I have minimal 'photoshopping' skills but hope you can see where I have come from with it. Mine, on the top, is concentrating on increasing the perspective distances.

Debzy
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Marie, yes I can see how you have changed the perspective and it looks good! Not sure I can get that sort of light in the sky, but I could certainly try adding darker shadows on the hills and brightening the foreground colours a bit more. I will see what I can do! Thank you for your assistance and I like your photoshop skills, I have none! Cheers and have a great day Marie. Thanks again. Debs. =))

Andrewcody
06-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Sometimes you just have to laugh, or at least smile

Need to start painting again

Good to see you are still going strong Deb

Andrew

Debzy
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks Andrew, and yes, a work can go on and on, but sometimes it's best to move on! I have been working on 5 and would like to call a couple at least finished! I haven't framed yet, so maybe I will give it a final look over but as you say, sometimes best to have a laugh and get painting. Love your optimism and humor as always. Cheers Andrew and keep smiling lol. Debs. =))

Andrewcody
06-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Well Deb as you no doubt know there is a moral associated with the Emu -
Thrush can sing but he ain't pretty - Duck can swim, but he can't sing, nor can the eagle on the wing - Emu can't fly, but I'm telling you, he can run the pants off a kangaroo.

That should confuse almost everyone

Oom ba da little da da da

Andrew
(and thanks John)

Debzy
06-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Yes, I love that one Andrew! And can he what!!!!! Emus are very fast, very big and I wouldn't want to cross them! As you say, not everyone can do everything, some are better at somethings than others, and we make use of our strengths and forget those areas that we may never be good at! Be grateful for what we have got in other words and make it our strength! So.... having said all that, I may not be the best at every aspect of painting, but some I can do better than others. Therefor, I am happy with that and will keep painting and learning, but know when it's time to say enough, move on to the next work and not worry any more! Cheers Andrew, you think you confused everyone with your Emu song ! Lol. Cheers Debs. =))

Debzy
06-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Well..... I tried to darken the hills more, add more highlights to the foreground, dull the trees in the background on the hill..... I think I will leave it as is now. I have had enough of this one! Thank you everybody for your assistance and critique, I really appreciate it and am ready to finish the next one. Cheers and keep smiling! Debs. =))

Coen1
06-21-2012, 05:12 AM
It has become a wonderful painting, Deborah.

Debzy
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you so much Coen, I appreciate your compliment and all the helpful critiques. They have all encouraged me to keep going on this and make small changes to improve it. It is sometimes worth sticking it out to see what results. I am happy with this one now thanks to all. Have a great day Coen and Keep painting! Cheers as always Debs. =))