PDA

View Full Version : Deer In The Meadow Rural Landscape

walt curlee
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-06-2012/77745_Deer-Chipmonk-High-Meadow-Rural-Farm-Panorama-72dpi.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-06-2012/77745_Deer-Chipmonk-High-Meadow-Rural-Farm-Panorama-zoom.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Deer In The Meadow Rural Landscape
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Take a stroll though the countryside and take in the panorama appalachian landscape with a chipmunk on a rock and deer in the high meadow in the foreground. Cherokee roses, violets, muscadine vines and mountain laurel abound. You can see mountains and farm, fields, orchards and stream in the background.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Give me the pros and cons.

Thanks, Walt

crazywoman53
06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Your very unique style is hard to critique as it stands alone in a good way. I enjoy this.. but where is the lady bug? :)

eyecandy2
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
this is just geat as usual. Your style is unique and I find that, because of that, I can't really critiqe it. No matter what, it is a very nice piece of art.

Coen1
06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I took a very long time to admire your wonderful painting. Wished I had 10 % of your technical abilities. Your painting expresses how paradise must look like. And that's the only thing that is bothering me: I miss a dead flower or a burned tree or a broken wheel or something unexpected. A story behind the painting.
But let me be clear: this is a great painting!

Avena Cash
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Your style is indeed unique but I really think it is the fact that there are no problems with your painting that makes it hard to make criticisms. There are ways you could have gone a different direction, but the one you chose works 100%. When I paint it is about paint, when you paint it is about a subject and the use of paint is much less important. You illustrate ideas, use objects as symbols of a place and its beauty. If I look at the objects separately, like in your detail of the deer, the painting technique itself is pretty boring--but your overall composition and combination of images fills the picture with delight instead.

Nothing is out of place here, and everything fits with everything else. You make it clear what visual language you are using and use it fluently without straying.

I LOVE the mountain laurel in detail--for me it is the focal point I like best but this is obviously a painting with multiple focal points. Laurel, chipmunk, farm, deer, distant orchard, wild rose and grape leaves in the corner... Full of sentiment, making a beautiful utopia of a place. Locals will love this because these images are dear to them.

Maybe the dark heaviness of the clouds is odd. I can't decide. The handling of the clouds fits very well with everything else as it assists in the swirling shapes you've used to make your composition, but maybe it's too much in the top left corner when it is broken up into dark shapes against light sky. BUT I would not touch it if I were you. It's too well done to risk messing it up with changes.

There is a lovely quilt-like abstraction to the whole thing because of the way it is flattened--the clouds and the details on things even when far away create that flattening. Those details become almost like embroidery stitches. The orchestrated geometry of the surface is what keeps this from looking like "primitive" folk art although the referencing of that tradition makes it very comfortable and quite suited for the subject. It reminds me of a couple of regional artists who use similar distinct swirling landscape forms although their names slip my mind at the moment.

Well done! Think about your next work and how to make it equally successful or how to further challenge yourself.

Andrewcody
06-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Very nice illustrative work, reminds me a little of Thomas Hart Benton

Andrew

JonRyan92
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't even know how to critique this. I love it. Your grass is very well rendered. It reminds me the rural western NY area.

Avena Cash
06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Very nice illustrative work, reminds me a little of Thomas Hart Benton

Andrew

yes! I was also trying to recall his name

walt curlee
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Your very unique style is hard to critique as it stands alone in a good way. I enjoy this.. but where is the lady bug? :)

Hi Christine, I atually though about that, but I thought it might be alittle too much, lol.

walt curlee
06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
this is just geat as usual. Your style is unique and I find that, because of that, I can't really critiqe it. No matter what, it is a very nice piece of art.

I'm honored Jon!

Andrew, Thomas Hart Benton has been one of my teachers for many years.

Avena, Thank you for the indepth critique, and what you see is true and I couldn't say it better.

Hello Coen, thanks, but it's not ability as much as, persistance, lol.

tgsloth
06-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh shucks, Walt has such a high level of craftsmanship and artistry that it's nearly impossible to critique one of his pieces. When they show up, it's like Christmas. But hey, it's a critique forum so I labored mightily and came up with this:
The compositional theme is the circle. So when the cloud forms at the upper left corner turn up, they break the circle and conduct the eye out of the painting. They need to complete the circle, albeit subtly. HAH, there I found something.

PaintBoss
06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
I like the sky the way it is. It opens up the piece and seems to suggest that everything has its place while allowing us to move through the piece (foreground, middle ground and background). This is idyllic and reminds me of something I would see in a book as a young child. A magical, sweet peaceful world where we all co-habitate peacefully. I think to complete a circular motion in the sky would be predictable like following a formula. This feels more suggestive to me and I like that. Also if it kept in a circular motion I would feel I was looking at a dinner plate or something. Just too much if you know what I mean.
I like the dark sky juxtaposed with the lighter sky. Creates drama and tells me we are either at the quiet time of dawn with a new day beginning or settling in for the night at dusk. The colors produce a beautiful glow and gives this style such a lovely vibe. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful piece that just makes me smile! You are excellent at what you do. :thumbsup:

Katie Black
06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi, I love your work, its amazingly good! I think I have spotted something though...the deer on the far right seems to have some white squiggles on his bottom and I can't quite figure out what this is?

Debzy
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi , I love it too! The squiggles, I didn't notice at first, but very observant Katie! Now I am wondering too? Are they part of the bridge structure perhaps? Lovely work though, as usual you have captured a scene of utopia! If only life were really like this! But for the most part for animals it is I guess... until man comes along that is.... !! Cheers. Debs. =)) :clap:

arnieb
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Very engaging piece, excellent detail, colour, and narrative. :thumbsup: love it. Arnie.

Jody Schmidt
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Very nice.
Vaguely reminds me of Renie Britenbucher and certain examples of Malaysian Naive Art, but with more naturalistic color and scenery elements, including animals and landscape features.
Although I have a slight natural aversion to realism, this pricks the heart and mind because it is a strange combination of faithful depiction and extremely stylized, almost folk art, sincerity. Well done.

painter1960
06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Absolutely gorgeous piece. I wish I were there.

AllisonR
06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Can't add much. You have a totally unique style and use of color, and your craftsmanship is superior. Only crits are that the edges of the clouds are too pointy. And all the shadows are at a slight angle, except under the two adult deer - there they are suddenly parallel to the deer.

birdhs
06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Stunning.

I recall having seem a similar style, perhaps in a back issue of Artist Magazine, or in one of my art history or appreciation classes. It might have been a Mexical painter, just not sure.

Having said that, I like this style. The lack of a true COI is a little disorienting, but it does keep you looking around. and there is a lot to enjoy.

As an Appalachian setting, perhaps a bit more atmospheric perspective ("smokies") might make it more regional. I spent 20 years in upstate NY Finger Lakes region and it does also remind me of that area because they have minimal haze on a clear day.

As a tiny nitpick, the barn is titled forward ever so slightly, not on the same lines as the farmhouse, not noticeable in the close-up, but noticed on the big picture. minor stuff

Looking forward to more of your work, refreshing and cheerful.

greg

walt curlee
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I like the sky the way it is. It opens up the piece and seems to suggest that everything has its place while allowing us to move through the piece (foreground, middle ground and background). This is idyllic and reminds me of something I would see in a book as a young child. A magical, sweet peaceful world where we all co-habitate peacefully. I think to complete a circular motion in the sky would be predictable like following a formula. This feels more suggestive to me and I like that. Also if it kept in a circular motion I would feel I was looking at a dinner plate or something. Just too much if you know what I mean.
I like the dark sky juxtaposed with the lighter sky. Creates drama and tells me we are either at the quiet time of dawn with a new day beginning or settling in for the night at dusk. The colors produce a beautiful glow and gives this style such a lovely vibe. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful piece that just makes me smile! You are excellent at what you do. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob, Great critique. I was playing with the circles alot in this one.

Your right paintboss, and for your imput.

Thanks Katie and Debzy, the squiggles are the bridge structure.

Thanks Arnie.

walt curlee
06-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your critique Jody.

Thanks, Bobby.

Hi Allison, thanks for your incite.

Thanks for the indepth Greg. I purposely didn't give an exteme perspective and vanishpoint.