PDA

View Full Version : Supply Help....

spiked pastel
06-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Hello,
I was wondering what kind of pens you would recommend purchasing. I typically draw with ball point pens but find that they are sometimes insufficient. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Jakeally
06-18-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi! Spiked Pastel.
Why not try a set of drawing pens to start off.....they usually come in 4 sizes. The set I got were Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens and they were quite reasonably priced. Three different nib sizes and best of all a brush pen....which is just yummy.
I think the best you could buy would be Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pens but I can't afford them at the moment so couldn't advise.
I am sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon:D

Gutshot
06-18-2003, 02:22 PM
I guess this leads to another question first. What kind of pen would you like to be using?

I'm assuming you probably don't want to jump straight into the dip pens. That being the case, I rather like the micron pens. They come in a variety of sizes and colors and are inexpensive.

If you do want a dip pen I rather like the hunt crowquill #108, if you can find them. They are fine enough to make the small lines but flexible enough that you can get a fairly broad line.

prairie painter
06-18-2003, 03:22 PM
well, here's another vote for the micron pens. You can get them almost everywhere now, at least in the US. Most variety stores carry them, often in the scrapbooking section. Lots of widths too.

artdude
06-18-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi Spiked!! Micron's get my vote too!! :D I say this because of the price and also because they use archival inks which are waterproof and fade proof. I would also recommend getting one of the smaller tips (a .005) for any detail work you would like to do. You can some bigger nib sizes also. The brush pens from Micron are also good because they are great for filling in large areas. Let us know which pens you eventually get :D:)

and.....WELCOME to the PEN & INK FORUM!!!! :D:)

drwells
06-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Welcome!!! Show us some work. :D

I'm with the others Microns are the way to go. 005 is a must! Once you get used to them and if you want to get even more hard core look into the Rapidographs.

Danny

DragonladyfromOz
06-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Hi spiked pastel - and welcome!
Yup - same here ... micron pens. They are very portable, disposable, relatively cheap, range of sizes and - most importantly - use archival quality ink. What ever you choose just make sure the ink is archival [usually written on the pen if it is of a decent quality] as there is little more IRRITATING than watching your hours of work fade to brown or blue ... :mad:
Cheers and good hunting
D'lady