PDA

View Full Version : Which Creativity Program Would you Like to Follow With Fellow WCe'rs?

DanaT
06-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi all!

Our TAW group is wrapping up the 12 weeks of the The Artists Way program and it was suggested that we try another creativity program after this.

For those not familiar with this, a group of Wetcanvassers have been meeting in chat every Sunday night to go through Julia Cameron's book, The Artists Way.

But the Artists Way is not the only Creativity program and some others can be useful too. I dug up a couple and am posting a poll here in the Creativity forum to gauge interest in another type of creativity program.

Here are a couple I found that share some similarities with TAW but also have key differences:

The Celestine Prophecy (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446671002/103-7230805-4275029?v=glance&s=books)

This book shares the concept of pulling your inspiration from the Source (what TAW calls the Creator) and also talks about using coincidences and inspiration (energy) to move your creative path forward. It handles in more depth than the Artists Way, the unhealthy ways we take energy from others that hinders creativity. Its a good book for a discussion group because each chapter is devoted to one insight or key learning.

Unlike the Artists Way, The Celestine Prophecy has no homework assignments, no tasks, no exercises. So the people who were overwhelmed with the amount of work the Artists Way required may like a program where they just read a chapter a week and meet once a week to discuss it. :)

In My Wildest Dreams (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684853086/qid=1055947355/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7230805-4275029?v=glance&s=books)

This book is somewhat like the Artists Way for women. (yes, as I implied, women may be more comfortable with this program than men but check it out) The author was a VP for Avon so it is more corporate friendly.

The difference between this and TAW is that here you first define your dream (or goal) then you refine it over the course of the program and set plans to do it. It offers more concrete advice about how to redefine your perceptions and beliefs so that they help you reach your dream rather than hinder you. I was a bit skeptical at first of changing my beliefs to fit my needs, but now I have to admit that it works for creativity.

The book does have exercises and tasks but not as many as the Artists Way. One advantage to the book is that it follows real women as they go through a two day seminar. More than any other book, it has the real world grounded in it.

So let us know if you are interested and we'll see what we come up with.

:)

DanaT
06-18-2003, 11:43 AM
OK who thinks we're mind readers? :evil: We have one vote in Other. :rolleyes:

Care to elaborate? If you know of another program to follow, don't hold back. Post it here and we'll get it included in the poll.

BeyondTheNineSquares
06-18-2003, 11:45 AM
I picked up a book I'd like to recommend. It's called How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci by Michael J Gelb. I read an excerpt in The Artist's Magazine and wanted to read more of what Gelb had to say. I haven't started it yet, since I wanted to complete TAW (round one) first.

DanaT
06-18-2003, 11:50 AM
I remember that one too, Martha. Can you briefly summarize the book for those who haven't heard of it and we can put it in the poll?

Any links to read more about it would also be helpful.

Thanks! :)

pastelist
06-18-2003, 12:29 PM
When I press vote, it does not allow it to process. It states I am not allowed. I can view results though. Very confusing.
:confused:
:crying:

DanaT
06-18-2003, 12:45 PM
pastelist,

Are you at work? Maybe your work computer is behind a firewall that won't let you vote. That happened to me in the other poll.

If you have a computer at home, try it there.

pastelist
06-18-2003, 12:53 PM
I am at work, and I will try to vote again when I get home. If I have the same problem, I will let you know. Thanks.
:clap:

jimb
06-18-2003, 12:59 PM
I read the Artist's Way and I quickly decided that I didn't have time to do all the daily pages. I couldn't quite see the connection either. I voted for the Celestine Prophecy because I believe my inspiration comes from my creator (now that I've said that, please don't move this to the Debates Forum:))
I also have How to think like Leonardo Da Vinci, and I think it's an excellent book. I would be willing to work with that one too. A condensed version was sent out as a supplement to the Artist's Magazine. Here is a link to some sample pages....
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440508274/ref=lib_rd_ss/002-9539507-8873615?v=glance&s=books&vi=slide-show#reader-link

DanaT
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks jimb.

Like any other habit, I think the TAW morning pages take about a month to catch on. After that, I found the pages were hard to give up. I've even been late to work because of them. :) So needless to say, I'll be doing them regardless of which program we choose but its everybody's individual choice.

The Celestine Prophecy is a good choice for those with limited time.

PS thanks for the link to the Leonardo da Vinci book.

Rose Queen
06-18-2003, 02:17 PM
I'd be interested to know who's voting "none" and why. :confused: :confused: :confused:

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

CarlyHardy
06-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Pastelist, if you can see the results, that usually means you've voted in a poll already.

If someone voted 'none', that could just mean they don't want to participate.

I voted for "other". And would like to suggest Eric Maisel's book "Fearless Creating". Just reading this book was a real turning point in my artistic freedom. I came to realize that my fears were actually common to all who long to create!...and that if Monet and Cezanne had them...then I had something in common with the masters! How's that for a leap? LOL

The book is set up to walk you thru the creative process from the initial desire to completing a work of art. It's not just geared toward the visual artist but I found that I related to all of the ideas and exercises. Some are quite short..others a bit more lengthy but easily accomplished. Each involves an action, a time for thinking, and a time for feeling.

For example, the act...Bake a potato. Carefully remove the potato from the oven, Put it on a plate, Remove the foil, Let the steam escape, Wait a few seconds...now the exercise begins!

Hold the potato until its cool enough to eat...you'll quickly realize that holding it still will burn a hand. What to do? throw it in the air..catch it...toss it back and forth (I can even hear you thinking how crazy this sounds!)...now while you're trying to cool that potato and not drop it, hush your mind and think about your next creative plan...a painting...how the dark masses and light masses will vibrate to form the focal point (mostly I just thought of a cool water scene!)
Noone can help you but the potato is cooling!

And then you eat it! While eating think! There are questions to ask yourself as you think...one is "Were you able to hold a hot thing and not drop it?"....the idea is "Can you hold a hot thing cooly?"

And then you feel! Were you anxious? Where? Did the potato feel cooler according to what you thought? What helped you succeed? Did you learn?...."A creative project is a hot potato that must be handled coolly"

Also, one of my favorite parts of the book, is the comments along the margins. Steven Spielberg - "I had to get over my fear of running through the world naked and learn to say, "Take me or leave me".

Now, I've never run naked thru the world...but isn't that how you feel when you show your art to the world?
carly

carly

Gisele
06-18-2003, 03:18 PM
I didn't vote yet but I really loved the Celestine prophecy story although I didn't read the book for working and discussing as a group.

The other one about Leonardo Da Vinci seems interesting too. I must say in the summer time I don't have as much time for morning pages and stuff like that. I'd rather be out plein air painting and enjoying the nice weather :D Summer goes by soooooooo fast here.

"In my wildest dream" does not interest me for the moment.

Gisele:)

BeyondTheNineSquares
06-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Gelb's book "How to think like leonardo da vinci":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440508274/qid=1055964604/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-2494394-3963902

Here's a link to more info on that book including the editorial review (halfway down the page - scroll a bit) and some reader reveiws. I'm at the office and the book is home, but this combined with the sample pages already referred to should help!

DanaT
06-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
Pastelist, if you can see the results, that usually means you've voted in a poll already.

Not necessarily, carly. :) I didn't have to vote to see the results, just clicked the "View Results' button.

I did get the same error that pastelist got yesterday on my work computer. When I tried again to vote on my home computer, the vote went through. I know my company has a killer firewall, so I think pastelist's company has something similar.

SunDogDeb
06-18-2003, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHClements

"I voted for "other". And would like to suggest Eric Maisel's book "Fearless Creating"...."

I, too, voted for "other". I like Maisel's work too (He did one called Staying Sane In the Arts, retitled A Life In The Arts). I have Fearless Creating and it's a great book. Another good book is No More Secondhand Art by Peter London. And another choice could be Walking In This World -- Julia Cameron's latest. I just got it and it's along the same pattern as TAW -- morning pages, exercises, artist's date and she adds a 20 minute walk at least once a week to clear out the karmic congestion. I was not too keen on Vein of Gold or her little "inspiration" books, but Walking In This World seems to have some real substance and insight to it.

Whatever we choose, I'd like to continue the group (was Sunday night ok with everyone?)

SunDogDeb :clap:

olika
06-18-2003, 03:58 PM
I am liking the da Vinci but I noticed there is a workbook? Are we supposed to be getting that and doing it or can we just read and discuss the book itself?

DanaT
06-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, I voted finally and I voted for the Celestine Prophecy.

Partly because of what everyone was saying about the challenges of keeping up with the amount of work from the Artists Way; The Celestine Prophecy doesn't have tasks and I think we need a break for the summer. :)

And partly because it touches on synchronicity and pulling yourself out of other peoples dramas so you can follow your own path-two things we discussed most frequently in TAW.

A program based on the Celestine Prophecy could be very compatible with the Artists Dates and Morning Pages (or Evening Pages or Weekly Pages whichever is more doable :) Maybe without the added tasks, the pages at some level will be more doable-just thinking out loud here ). Our last group had no problem with the Artists Dates.

I'm thinking we can read a chapter or insight a week and discuss how we experienced it through Artists Dates, etc. during the week. There is a companion guide to the book; I'll check it out to get some more ideas.

How to think like Leonardo da Vinci is a very useful book I want to go through someday but I'm thinking it also has a lot of tasks to do. Right now if I had a choice between TAW and How to think like Leonardo, I'd rather do the TAW again because at least I could do some of the things I wanted to do in TAW but didn't get a chance to rather than taking on another set of tasks with the Leonardo book that I won't be able to finish. :o

Anyway that's my two cents. Regardless, I'm committed to continuing something with this group to foster creativity. :)

DanaT
06-18-2003, 04:26 PM

I voted for "other". And would like to suggest Eric Maisel's book "Fearless Creating".

For example, the act...Bake a potato. Carefully remove the potato from the oven, Put it on a plate, Remove the foil, Let the steam escape, Wait a few seconds...now the exercise begins!

Hold the potato until its cool enough to eat...you'll quickly realize that holding it still will burn a hand. What to do? throw it in the air..catch it...toss it back and forth (I can even hear you thinking how crazy this sounds!)...now while you're trying to cool that potato and not drop it, hush your mind and think about your next creative plan...a painting...how the dark masses and light masses will vibrate to form the focal point (mostly I just thought of a cool water scene!)
Noone can help you but the potato is cooling!
Now, I've never run naked thru the world...but isn't that how you feel when you show your art to the world?

Wow carly, how did I miss this? It sounds intriguing. I have to admit, I can't imagine myself holding a hot potato in my hand but last year I couldn't imagine doing lots of things I'm doing now.

Do you have any links where we can read more about it? How much time did it take you to finish the tasks and exercises?

DanaT
06-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by olika
I am liking the da Vinci but I noticed there is a workbook? Are we supposed to be getting that and doing it or can we just read and discuss the book itself?

gerri,

Both the book and the workbook for the Da Vinci book have tasks and exercises. When I read it, I didn't get much out of the chapters where I didn't complete the exercises so I'm thinking that like in TAW, the exercises in da Vinci are important to get something out of the book.

DanaT
06-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Deb. Thanks for the suggestions.

BeyondTheNineSquares
06-18-2003, 06:53 PM
There's a workbook that goes with TAW as well. I bought but never touched it. It came with some cards, but I'm not sure I'm recalling their purpose. Tasks I believe.

There was a question as to why people voted "none" and initially I wondered why then I realized that if we have a small group that can agree on a next book, that's fine. Perhaps the "none" folks need to be away from any program just now and might join a group later.

As for the books that are gathering interest, it seems to me that perhaps we could do one now, and consider another later. It would be lovely if we could gather together in the physical sense and have a book club, but this is a great alternative and we get such a variety of friends together this way since the world becomes so small a place through the use of technology. I love it for that reason!

Perhaps, doing the book that you voted on Dana might be a good next book in that it's less task oriented, and then going back to a task oriented book such as TAW again or the Da Vinci. Different approaches like that could be refreshing and beneficial.

Cathy Morgan
06-18-2003, 08:19 PM
I voted for Wildest Dreams but only because I worked through Eric Maisel's book, Fearless Creating, back in 1996. I do think Fearless Creating is excellent. If most people here haven't worked with it, I'd recommend that as the main choice.

DanaT
06-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by BeyondTheNineSquares

As for the books that are gathering interest, it seems to me that perhaps we could do one now, and consider another later.

Absolutely Martha! I think all these choices are good. After we go through the first, we'll see what else we want to do. I think its positive that we're doing somethng!

DanaT
06-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Cathy Morgan
I voted for Wildest Dreams but only because I worked through Eric Maisel's book, Fearless Creating, back in 1996. I do think Fearless Creating is excellent. If most people here haven't worked with it, I'd recommend that as the main choice.

Hi Cathy! Thanks for voting. You can tell most of the TAWers are looking for a break from heavy assignments. ;)

How much time did it take you to go through with the homework in Maisel's book? 30 minutes a day? 2 hours a week?

Wildest Dreams has assignments but I'd say they take about half the work of TAW.

Cathy Morgan
06-18-2003, 09:34 PM
I don't remember how long the exercises took me. Looking at the book, there are only 6 chapters plus the introduction. So the group could agree to take 2 or 3 weeks on one chapter. Looks as if each chapter has about 8 or 9 exercises - none very long to do but of course even at 10 or 20 minutes each, that would add up to a lot to do in one week. (I only counted exercises in 2 chapters.)

I probably spent a couple of weeks on each chapter, but that's a very rough recollection. I did it alone, which says something I think about the quality of the book. (To work through TAW I finally had to organize and lead a group.)

Wolrab
06-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I voted for The Celestine Prophecy-I think it would make for interesting summer reading. I might have coted for the da Vinci thing if it had been an option I had never heard of it before.

I think an informal TAW allumni group would be cool too.

Peace

Cathy Morgan
06-18-2003, 10:16 PM
I was very unimpressed with The Celestine Prophecy. Something about the author really turned me off. And I don't remember much in it that directly applies to creativity.

If we're going to consider books that relate that indirectly, how about Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting, by Lynn Grabhorn? (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1571741941/qid=1055988813/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2042671-3356728?v=glance&s=books) I've been working with this book for a month or two and find it very exciting.

It's about creating what you really want. One of her examples is a woman who really needed to sell her paintings in order to save her house - and how this worked. Of course that got my attention.

Even if the group doesn't choose this book, you might want to take a look at it for a private read.

mpopinz
06-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Hi All..

I was interested in TAW.. but some very important points have been raised here. I used to journal all the time, and don't seem to be able to find that time any longer. The morning pages are similar writings.

I'm beginning to think that learning to think like leonardo might just be the way to go. I checked out the excerpts.. Looks pretty interesting.

So..., discount my vote for TAW!!!

SparrowHawk
06-18-2003, 10:24 PM
I was excited when I saw this sub-forum on TAW. I went through the book by myself in 1995, kept things up for another year or so, at which point buying a house and moving into it took over my life and brain for awhile. Anyhow, I thought it would be nice to go through it again, this time with input from others. It looks like the group is heading in another direction right now, but I'd still be interested in joining in, no matter what you all decide to do. I have not voted, and probably won't. I'm willing to go along with the consensus of those familiar with the group dynamics. Though I'll say I would like something with "assignments," since it's all to easy to get distracted over the summer if I don't have something to light a fire under my lazy butt.

Cathy Morgan
06-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Just had another thought. Sounds True sent me a flyer that advertised 2 audiotapes by the author of Women Who Run With the Wolves 0 Clarissa Pinkola Estes. These tapes (3 hours total) are called The Creative Fire - stories about creativity. $9.95 plus shipping was $14.90. Haven't gotten the order yet but I've wanted it for a long time.

It could be fun to listen to tapes and discuss them.

Of course - this could be a really awful idea. It just crossed my mind. It sounded better before I wrote about it.

CarlyHardy
06-18-2003, 10:26 PM
In Fearless Creating, some exercises are very short...like just squeezing a dab of color out to look at it...but that builds in time on other exercises which can take longer. The book builds from one chapter to the next to cover anxieties which we face throughout the creating process. In one exercise, you have to create something really awful and cry over it! Each exercise helped me to face a facet of creating that I hadn't realized could become a block. Once I began to recognize the patterns that I set up for my own roadblocks, I knew how to deal with them because I could expect them.

This book is part of the Inner Work Books. I'll see if I can find info about them online...they offer a lot of selections which deal with creating.

Here's another of Dr. Maisel's books that I think would make a good discussion forum...it's called Creativity.

http://www.ericmaisel.com/creative.html

I haven't read this one but the review makes me want to go right out and buy it!
carly

Cathy Morgan
06-18-2003, 11:28 PM
I've got Maisel's book, The Creativity Book. Is that the same one you ordered? I started working through it but didn't continue very far. It's actually structured for 52 weeks! And starts with an autobiography.

Since I didn't get through the book by myself, I'd be interested in doing it with the group. We could always commit to a certain number of weeks and then reevaluate.

DanaT
06-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Hi guys! I have to rush, haven't had time to read all the posts but here's what I found on the Celestine Prophecy companion book. It's really intriguing.

Its a guide for conducting a regularly scheduled group discussion around the book. The first session is a structured discussion on uncovering coincidences and synchronicity we have experienced already that we may not have been aware of. Hmm, sounds very interesting for those of us who kept saying in TAW that we hadn't experienced synchronicity in the past week. :o (and we know who we are! :D ) Other sessions discuss recognizing and tapping into the source of positive energy, engaging the flow once you've got it, and clearing the past that keeps you blocked from it.

I think all the creativity books recommend keeping a journal but at least in this one for the first chapter, we only use the journal for recording synchronous events, coincidences, and dreams. The major work is done during the session discussing with our group. I like that. :)

The guide suggests 13 sessions to cover 9 chapters. From what I've seen of chapter one, the two sessions could be easily combined into one.

One session topic that really intrigues me is the Interpersonal Ethic, a way that relationships can enhance the flow. Other than covering crazymakers and asking you to enlist the help your supportive friends, TAW doesn't really go into how to maintain your creativity while in relationships with others and TAW really doesn't go into depth about leveraging relationships to become more creative.

The similarities between the Prophecy and TAW are striking but the Prophecy seems to have a couple of things that TAW doesn't and it does seem more doable. We could either cover the book in nine weeks (one week per chapter) as a little creative respite between TAW and another task intensive book (How to Think Like Leonardo or the Fearless Creating book by Meisel)
or we could take our time and cover it in 13 weeks in a time frame similar to TAW.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Have a good night and I'll catch up with what everybody wrote later.

BeyondTheNineSquares
06-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Well, so far I have wanted to buy and read every book suggested. I think that means that I will happily go along with whatever next choice we can get a group together on! It sounds like we have many interesting ones to go through and can be a "group" for as long as we choose to. Alternating between lighter and heavier approaches might be a good idea, as I think I may have said earlier. We're going to be a real force in the art community with all the inspiration we're bringing to it!

DanaT
06-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi again.

Cathy and Carly, either of the Maisel books looks excellent.

I'm still a little skeptical of how much extra work we are going to being able to do this summer and from what I've read of the Creativity Book, each person would need their own project to work with. I don't think this little group is there yet but we may be by September.

I know in September, I will have a project from my art classes to complete a full length life size portrait in 2-3 months. This seems like a prime candidate to work on with the book. If we give the group something light this summer, we may all be able to choose a worthwhile project to start the Maisel program in September.

I just don't want to take a full break for the summer because I know how hard it is to come back to a creative habit, once you drop it. :)

pastelist
06-19-2003, 11:42 AM
I opted for the Artists Way. I am hoping to that a decision can be made shortly. I would like to begin this book from the begin this book again with a group. I am not familiar with the other books. I guess I might have to be if a different decision is reached. Keep me posted.
:crying:

K8Black
06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Hello All:

I voted for The Artist's Way since it seems I have really dropped out of this first group and I am so far behind I haven't even been to a chat in three weeks. So sorry to all for that but I got off-track and couldn't seem to get back on. :( Anyway I would also be interested in another book.

Carly's suggestion sounds interesting..and so does the daVinci book.. I own "The Celestine Prophecy" which I have never been able to get into. Something about it bugged me too, guess I should take another look at it to remember what that was. Also I just ordered from Powells.com:

The Zen of Creative Painting: An Elegant Design for Revealing Your Muse by Jeanne Carbonetti

The Tao of Watercolor: A Revolutionary Approach to the Practice of Painting by Jeanne Carbonetti

No More Secondhand Art: Awakening the Artist Within by Peter London

Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (& Rewards) of Artmaking by David Bayles

soooo, as you can see, I could be ready for anything! :D I need to go back and read all the links on this thread and may have a different opinion after that. Just basically wanted to let you all know that I am alive and well and sorry to be MIA for so long. I am interested in a new round of TAW or something else. Perhaps I should just join Paintfool's round of TAW--is she still starting that in July??

Hope all is well with everyone and I will be back after reading the links. Thanks.

Kathi

coolartsybabe
06-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I just borrowed Julia Cameron's "Vein of Gold--A Journey to Your Creative Heart" from the library. Before buying it I thought I'd take a look at it first. Perhaps this could be a book to use for "The Artist's Way II" forum and chat? I'll let you know what I think about this book.

"How to Think Like Leonardo DiVinci" is a good book although it focuses on getting non-creative types to learn how to think creatively. Nevertheless, I found it facinating and did gain insight from it.

Another excellent creativity book is "Writing Out the Storm" by Jessica Page Morrell. I attended a weekend creativity workshop for women with Jessica on the Oregon Coast. We stayed at a cozy beach house overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Our time was spent doing writing exercises, cutting up magazines to make a truly thought provoking collage, making an inspiration book, and relearning how to just have fun at being creative. During that one weekend I learned to accept myself for who I am, discovered what it is that makes being a woman so special, and began to unpeel the layers of crud that accumulated over my artistic soul.

As I work through "The Artist's Way" it has proved itself to be far superior. I see changes and I see results as the layers of crud shed at an excellerated rate. More importantly, these are not just fleeting moments of insight. These are permanent mind altering events. Synchronicity is becoming the norm in my life.

On recent trips to bookstores I've looked at several creativity books whose authors attempted to fashion their books after TAW without asking the reader to put in any more effort than to turn the pages. To me, that's like trying to lose weight without changing your diet or increasing your level of physical activity. A person can read all they want about weight loss but unless you do the work it ain't gonna happen (been there, done that).

The focus of many creativity self-help books is to help non-creatives learn how to be creative. The focus of "The Artist's Way" is to help creatives unblock and recover their creativity.

Following "The Artist's Way" is not the easiest thing to do. It takes an awful lot of honest soul searching and facing the things we'd rather leave buried. Some of the exercises are emotionally painful to do but must be done in order to heal and grow. Once you dig up the rocks and boulders you have more soil to plant the seeds for beautiful flowers to grow.

CarlyHardy
06-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Dana,
I think you're right about choosing a book for the summer that won't have as much demand in the way of writing and exercises. Perhaps you might consider choosing two that have been discussed and do a new poll for just those two.....then before Sept....put up a new poll and offer a choice of two or three books with more homework.

I know I'll be really busy for most of the summer and not able to work thru a more time consuming book with the group until the fall...and I don't want to miss out! And the list that's been offered so far has given some good choices to work from!

That's my thoughts,
carly

melaleuca
06-19-2003, 09:47 PM
I haven't voted yet but these would be my top choices -

1. How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci by Michael J Gelb. I have heard a lot of good things about this one. Would have to get hold of a copy though.

2. Walking in this World by Julia Cameron. I think the similarity to the TAW format would appeal to me. I know TAW made me work harder than I thought possible. A good thing.

3. TAW - I still can't manage to have regular artist dates or write a half decent affirmation so maybe there's more work to be done?

Other than that, I'd be happy to join almost any group - if the chat times are okay (Monday morning was not a good option for me). :D

Of course, if the thing takes off and has some off-line discussions in the threads as well, then I might still be able to join.

Wolrab
06-19-2003, 10:10 PM
I have to say the TAW takes a lot of dedication and commitment and I have seen results from all the hard work I have done. However as far as the vote goes, for the summer I think I am leaning towards the Celestine Prophecy a little bit.. I have heard that the book has changed lives just from the mere act of reading it and being inspired. plus..no homework

DanaT
06-20-2003, 04:32 AM
Dana,
I think you're right about choosing a book for the summer that won't have as much demand in the way of writing and exercises. Perhaps you might consider choosing two that have been discussed and do a new poll for just those two.....then before Sept....put up a new poll and offer a choice of two or three books with more homework.

I know I'll be really busy for most of the summer and not able to work thru a more time consuming book with the group until the fall...and I don't want to miss out! And the list that's been offered so far has given some good choices to work from!

That's my thoughts,
carly

Good idea, carly.

Hmm, I'm thinking for the summer vote, the Celestine Prophecy and Creative Fire tapes Cathy mentioned. Let me know if you don't have a cassette recorder and I'll replace the Creative Fire Tapes with a fun lighthearted book A Whack on the Side of the Head; How to Be More Creative (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446674559/qid=1056097031/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-9154795-5152032).

Everybody, just let me know by end of day tomorrow so I can post the new poll. :)

carly can you close this poll while still allowing people to post to this thread? I want to make sure that everybody has a cassette recorder before I put the Creative Fire tapes on the next poll.

Thanks. :)
Dana

DanaT
06-20-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by coolartsybabe

As I work through "The Artist's Way" it has proved itself to be far superior. I see changes and I see results as the layers of crud shed at an excellerated rate. More importantly, these are not just fleeting moments of insight. These are permanent mind altering events. Synchronicity is becoming the norm in my life.

On recent trips to bookstores I've looked at several creativity books whose authors attempted to fashion their books after TAW without asking the reader to put in any more effort than to turn the pages.

coolsy, you're right about the amount of effort to get unstuck. TAW is definitely going to be a candidate when we start again in September. I certainly want to go through it again. Till then, we want a little something to make us think a little differently and gather our creative forces in time to start an extensive program in September. OK with you? :)

BTW, TAW chicks, we still have the last 2 chapters in TAW before we're finished with the first round. LOL ;) :p

ScarletLake
06-20-2003, 10:36 AM
HI everyone

I tried to vote but I can't get it to take either.

It am open to any of the choices.

I am also open to those people who would like to start TAW again.

I too did not keep up with this last group & have stated doing it alone so maybe as a spinoff we could organize a small group that wants to do TAW during July, Aug, Sept.

I'm for anything that will bring out creativity.

Anita

lori
06-20-2003, 11:58 AM
i haven't read every post on this thread, so please excuse if i am repeating something that has already been said...

but what about Julia Cameron's second book, "the vein of gold", which picks up where TAW left off?

also, i have "how to think like leonardo", and believe it to be a riduclous book. he actually asks everyone to make minestroni soup, and learn italian...i am not joking...although, i was so annoyed by this ridiculous idea, that i couldn't get beyond it...imagine, if you do that, next thing...you'll paint like leonardo...uh...WRONG!!! anyway, just thought i'd throw that out there, since it is such a crazy idea, but that is the level that the book is working on...talk about missing the point.

another good book is "trust the process" by shaun mcniff, not exactly a "workbook", but a really lovely book about letting go and TRUSTING...would be good to read as a group and discuss revelations from it...

anyway, i have kind of been waiting for another book to pop up here, since i did TAW about 8 years ago, i tried to do the vein of gold with TAW group but it didn't work and was VERY short lived, but i'd get involved in another book group, no question...just not leonardo...LOL! although i do make a mean minestroni!

DanaT
06-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Carly may have already closed the poll, scarletlake. I'll put up the new one shortly when I get home.

We still have two more weeks of TAW left in this session. I hope you will be able to join us. Keith started Week 1 with us when the rest of us was on week 9.

CarlyHardy
06-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Dana, just now reading the rest of this thread. Will close the poll now.
carly

Cathy Morgan
06-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Today the 2-tape Creative Fire set arrived. It's the set I mentioned earlier, stories about creativity read and discussed by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I love her voice! And so far, I love the way she's talking about creativity. Just in case anyone here has wondered about ordering the tapes, I recommend them very much.

DanaT
06-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Thanks Carly. :)

DanaT
06-21-2003, 06:07 AM
Thanks everyone for participating! The summer poll is now up! Check it out (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1302167#post1302167) and vote for your favorite to discuss with the group this summer. We will begin a regular intensive creativity program in September.

pastelist
06-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I opted for the book. I usually listen to music while I paint.

CarlyHardy
06-21-2003, 04:39 PM
So there's no confusion about which thread to post comments in, I'm closing this one. Check out the newer one by Dana...link above. Thanks!
carly