PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Menendez

Moises Menendez
06-05-2012, 11:19 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-05-2012/1071012_Surgeon.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-05-2012/1071012_Dr._Menendez.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dr. Menendez
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 19 x 21 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I started this portrait of my son more than a week ago. My goals is to improve my skills with pastel and paint my family members especially my grandkids.
This portrait was copied from a picture which was taken at the hospital using a warm red background. So I have two pictures now: the first one with the original photo attached to the canvas and the last one, which I think, is finished.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to know if this portrait is considered finished.
Does it need more fine tunning below the neck?
Does the background need more work? If so, please advise. I attemptely signed digitally at the bottom as a "balance" but since I am a novice I wonder where will be the best place to sign.
Since I am a new using pastel I would like to lea<br> as much as possible, no matter what criticism I get. The more the better. I am lea<br>ing from books, DVD's, and Inte<br>et. I never had a formal training.
Thanks!
Moe

AllisonR
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I like your pastel work much better than the original photo. He looks warm, inviting. He is not stiff, as portraits can sometimes be. I would not add more to his neck, and I would sign more lightly in the bottom left or right. I also think he is done - the softened warm red background you have in the final is good, any more and you might overpower the scene - in the original photo all that red is jarring and annoying. Your strokes follow his form wonderfully, like the hairs on his arms. The blue uniform is a little looser than the rest - however, this makes you concentrate on what is important - his face. Hmm, I actually have no crits. Hope you get some more constructive comments.

Moises Menendez
06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I like your pastel work much better than the original photo. He looks warm, inviting. He is not stiff, as portraits can sometimes be. I would not add more to his neck, and I would sign more lightly in the bottom left or right. I also think he is done - the softened warm red background you have in the final is good, any more and you might overpower the scene - in the original photo all that red is jarring and annoying. Your strokes follow his form wonderfully, like the hairs on his arms. The blue uniform is a little looser than the rest - however, this makes you concentrate on what is important - his face. Hmm, I actually have no crits. Hope you get some more constructive comments.

Thank you Allison,
I appreciated your comments very much. You are right about the red background: it is very powerful!
In fact, my wife said that Christopher looks better than the photo! He still does not know about this portrait, so we will surprise him after a frame is placed on the final portrait. Have a nice day!
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Thank you again
Moe

eyecandy2
06-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I can only saw that it is beautifully done and have no crits other than that you might soften the lines on the shoulders where the uniform meets the backgroun to give it some depth. Your skin treatments are just great. What a keepsake.....

paznbaz
06-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Great work Moe, how can one crit this? your tonal work is spot on, pastels really do give a soft yet realistic finish. I think the portrait is finished and the background is the perfect neutral.....love it all.

Paul
www.paulbennettfineart.com

Moises Menendez
06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I can only saw that it is beautifully done and have no crits other than that you might soften the lines on the shoulders where the uniform meets the backgroun to give it some depth. Your skin treatments are just great. What a keepsake.....

Hi,
Thank u for the advice. This way I can learn tips from experienced artists.

Moe

Moises Menendez
06-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Great advice. Thanks a lot.
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Great work Moe, how can one crit this? your tonal work is spot on, pastels really do give a soft yet realistic finish. I think the portrait is finished and the background is the perfect neutral.....love it all.

Paul
www.paulbennettfineart.com

Thank u for your input! The next step will be the signature.
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-06-2012, 07:52 PM
As you can tell when comparing the two pictures, I worked on the face by increasing the values and fine tuning the facial expresion, especially the eyes. Then I added more color to the rest of the body. I also lightened the arms and worked on the background.
I appreciated all the critiques.
Moe

dancingleafwoman
06-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I am totally blown away by the personality you captured in his face. It does shine when compared to the photo. I can't wait to hear what he says. AND of course you're going to tell us!

Andrewcody
06-07-2012, 01:38 AM
I like the work

Has anyone advised you to 'Fix' the pastel?

Please do this before framing

Andrew

Moises Menendez
06-07-2012, 07:41 AM
I am totally blown away by the personality you captured in his face. It does shine when compared to the photo. I can't wait to hear what he says. AND of course you're going to tell us!

Thank you for the remarks and I will let you know when I bring the framed portrait to him. My next project is to paint my grand kids all together.
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
I like the work

Has anyone advised you to 'Fix' the pastel?

Please do this before framing

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
I may spray only a little bit since I have been told the fixatives may darken the pastel. Thank you for the advise.
Moe

tony1
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
This is beautifully done, and as stated it's not stiff, but an excel grasp of the pose.

I do have one crit the right (our right) ear is too low on the head, sorry.

But still a great piece.

Moises Menendez
06-08-2012, 09:00 PM
This is beautifully done, and as stated it's not stiff, but an excel grasp of the pose.

But still a great piece.

Man,
You are right! I did not pay attention to that mistake. Thank you for the advise. I will try to fix it.
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-09-2012, 02:08 PM

But still a great piece.

Thank you very much for the advise. I fixed it very carefully and I sent the final rendition today.
That was a great critique!
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-09-2012, 03:54 PM

But still a great piece.

I thought I sent the last picture this am.
I will try again. As I said, I moved the left ear up a bit and worked on the neck in order to balance the change. Again, thank you for the advise.
Moehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2012/1071012-Christopher.jpg

Moises Menendez
06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Tony,
It was not very easy to make that change without ruin the final portrait but it was obvious that the ear was too low since my eyes, as well as the others, was mainly focused on the face alone, I guess. This was a great critique since from now on I will always check the position of the ears in relation to the level of the eyes and nose.
I also worked on his right side of the neck according to the photograph, and that made a difference. I was afraid to ruin the entire rendition, but it was worth it to make that change.
Moe

eyecandy2
06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Don't fix the pastels. It will destroy the beauty of what you have done. But do a double mat if you frame it.

Moises Menendez
06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Don't fix the pastels. It will destroy the beauty of what you have done. But do a double mat if you frame it.

No, I did not fix it since I was told that it may darken the colors. It already went to the framing shop this am. Yes, it will have a double mat.
Thank you all for the tremendous advise, and I will start on another project.
Moe

tgsloth
06-09-2012, 10:41 PM
dittos with all the praise

Debzy
06-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Well done Moe, it certainly is a very professional looking portrait! Fixing those few little details made a difference and did not spoil your final work in any way, great effort! You did a splendid job of this and I am really looking forward to your next project! Cheers. Debs. =))

lunchbox
06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Wonderful, no 'crits' from me. Two books you may like to add to your growing library are Drawing the Head by William L. Maughan and How To Paint Portraits in Pastel by Joe Singer.

Moises Menendez
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Well done Moe, it certainly is a very professional looking portrait! Fixing those few little details made a difference and did not spoil your final work in any way, great effort! You did a splendid job of this and I am really looking forward to your next project! Cheers. Debs. =))

Thank you Debzy,
Yes, I am working on my grand children this time. I will let you know.
Moe

Moises Menendez
06-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the encouragement! Have a nice day!

Moises Menendez
06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Wonderful, no 'crits' from me. Two books you may like to add to your growing library are Drawing the Head by William L. Maughan and How To Paint Portraits in Pastel by Joe Singer.

Thank you. In fact, I have the two books and I really learned a lot from Bill Maughan, especially the last section where he works on pastel, and I tried his technique, and it really works!
Moe