PDA

View Full Version : Aboriginal Cave painting

MissMouse
06-17-2003, 09:12 PM
An aboriginal cave painting from inside one of the caves at Uluru.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/3452-cvpainting.jpg

gnu
06-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Cool...was it explained to you? love the bullseyes...(I guess they have a natural interpretation though..:D :clap: :clap:

jsr88
06-17-2003, 10:36 PM
I love the Aborigine culture...love the photo.
Excellent shot!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

SunnyJon
06-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Mouse-It must have been wonderful to be there and see it and get a sense of the cave dwelling *sigh*... I'm soo glad you got to go! This is really awesome!:eek: :clap: :clap: :clap:

haggis63
06-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Fascinating stuff MM and nicely photographed. Funny thing is, I've seen similar symbols to those rings on early European art. Wonder if they had a common origin. Where I lived in Aus it was mostly rock engravings as oipposed to painting. However I have seen hand stencils which I posted here a long time back:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64997

Alan

katcocat
06-18-2003, 09:23 AM
wonderful photo, have you got any more? Explanations of meanings would be good too, if you know of any websites. I seem to recall that the 'spiral/bullseye is a common motif within early cultures right across the world, but it's a long time since I did any anthropology, so I might be getting mixed up.
Kate.

MissMouse
06-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Kate the aboriginal people are very secretive about their spiritual things and have not told what all the symbols mean. I do not know of a web site that explains them and I don't have time to search one out. If you do please post a link here. I do know that the spiral is either a camp site or source of a water hole. Water is very scarce in the outback and it is believed the series of spirals depicts a waterfall that has several pools. the large solid object (looks like the letter c) is a witchetty grub. This particular painting might have been a map of sorts on how to find water and bush tucker for travelers. But that is only the white mans guess.

Hope this helps a bit.

haggis63
06-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by MissMouse
I do know that the spiral is either a camp site or source of a water hole. Water is very scarce in the outback and it is believed the series of spirals depicts a waterfall that has several pools.

Makes sense, as a lot of this type of aboriginal art is done as if from an aerial perspective.

Alan

Bobby D
06-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Absolutely stunning, you did a fantastic job M M.

TeAnne
06-18-2003, 11:10 AM
The circles represent their water holes.

katcocat
06-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Well, I had a quick look on the web, and there's a lot of stuff about aboriginal art but not much explaining the meanings. The only thing I could find was here;
http://www.aboriginalartonline.com/culture/symbols.html
Didn't get to do a major big search though, so there could be a lot more. Interesting stuff, as a one-time sociologist who specialized in religion, it's an area I haven't spent a lot of time looking at.