PDA

View Full Version : Reflections (WIP)

madmum
06-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi gang!!!!!

Decided to paint the street in Shrewsbury with the buildings reflected in it. First 2 stages:

Line drawing and motherwash of pthalo blue GS for the sky, raw sienna for the buildings and road, carefully avoiding the windows and the figure (but I should have painted straight over the lot :rolleyes: )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/10535-Shrewsbury_reflections_1.jpg

Now I added burnt sienna, more raw sienna and a little vermillion to the red brick building, and carried the colours down into the reflections, all wet in wet. Also more raw sienna and pthalo blue GS on the street reflections.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/10535-Shrewsbury_reflections_2.jpg

Ruth

artmom
06-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Oh, goody, this WIP will help me learn how to do buildings, so I can do a good job on the global village Project!!! :D

The reflections already look good!! LOL

tigre255
06-17-2003, 01:59 PM
woo hoo another WIP ........finding my front row seat ahead of the crowd........lol

Looking good so far........

madmum
06-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks Lyn, not sure what you'll learn but I'll do my best!

Barb, can you see everything from there? Watch out for the people at the back, they tend to throw popcorn :rolleyes:

Did a bit more in the downtime, strengthened colours and started the figure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/10535-Shrewsbury_reflections_3.jpg

Comments?

Ruth

TheBlizz35
06-17-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm looking forward to watching this develop.

One thing that's confusing me though is the reflection. How does the ground give off such a reflection; especially as deep as you've painted it? Has it just rained? Do you have a reference picture to go along with this painting?

Anyway, I'm along for the ride. Thanks for posting.

mustcreate
06-17-2003, 04:07 PM
so glad you DIDN'T paint over the whole lot!!! :eek: imagine how uninteresting it would be if there weren't those nice white spots to perk up the building!! I know you are going to add in other colours eventually, but your extra effort will be rewarded by a more interesting painting. :)

keep going Ruth!!!

em

madmum
06-17-2003, 04:15 PM
TheBlizz, yes, here's my reference, taken on a trip to Shrewsbury a few weeks ago. It had been raining and the old stone flags were very shiny. But the sun had come out!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/10535-Stone_flag_reflections_1_small.jpg
It's in the ref. library in a larger size if anyone else fancies having a go :)

Em, sometimes it's hard to know what to do! lol I used my new sable mop for this so far, it's kept things fairly loose :D

Ruth

Olga
06-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Reserving a seat not too far back....

The composition looks interesting, Ruth :)

On my monitor, the lady looks like she's leaning to the left--I suspect it's just a photo effect, but thought I'd mention in case it isn't

Waiting for more...

Olga

TheBlizz35
06-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Ruth, thanks so much for posting the ref. photo. It really helps me to see how the reflections could be that long.

Can't wait to see the next step in your painting.

M.A.
06-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Looking great Ruth!!!

Nandie
06-17-2003, 04:29 PM
**tossing popcorn at Barb from the back row**

This is coming along nicely - love the colors!

What Olga said about the lady.... I noticed it too.... she looks a little bit "tipsy". Any way she can be straightened up a little?

Waiting for the next installment - is there a Starbucks anywhere near here???

madmum
06-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Oh heck, I thought she looked wonky! I moved her all over the picture too! lol I'll work it out!

Thanks everyone, will have to wait till tomorrow now :(

Andrea, quit chucking popcorn!

Ruth

CharM
06-17-2003, 04:42 PM
...picking up all the darn popcorn on the floor... I brought coffee... lattees, expressos and capuchinos...

The lady looks fine to me... of course, my hubby accuses me of being a little off balance from time to time...:D

Anyway, when you paint her shopping bag in the other hand, she'll look more balanced...

This is really coming along *owh!!* ...someone's throwing popcorn again... nicely, Ruth...

Uschi
06-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Missed phase I, but will be there first thing in the morning, need new glasses, so MUST have a good seat.

I'm with Lyn, need to learn all I can re street scenes and buildings. Looking good!!!
Uschi

painterbear
06-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Goody, Ruth, I'm glad you decided to paint this photo. I liked it when I saw it in your RIL file.

I like the reflections on the cobblestones and the way the road curves out of the picture so you have buildings there at the end.

This is coming along great so far. Like the colors you are using.

Would those rowdys in the back please behave themselves. Don't make me stop this WIP and come back there! (How many of you parents have said this on car trips?óCome on raise your hands. :rolleyes: )

tigre255
06-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by painterbear
Goody, Ruth, I'm glad you decided to paint this photo. I liked it when I saw it in your RIL file.

I like the reflections on the cobblestones and the way the road curves out of the picture so you have buildings there at the end.

This is coming along great so far. Like the colors you are using.

Would those rowdys in the back please behave themselves. Don't make me stop this WIP and come back there! (How many of you parents have said this on car trips?óCome on raise your hands. :rolleyes: )

I'm not tellin.........:rolleyes: But if Nandie keeps it up nobody will have any popcorn to eat, and i'm not cleaning up this mess she's makin.........:D

coming along nicely ruth.......

Strawberry Wine
06-17-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm a little late but found a seat behind Andrea. No problem Barb, I will keep her in line. ANNDDDRRREEEAAA behave.

Looking good Ruth. Loved that photo in the RIL as well. Looking forward to the progress

Cheers

Gail

madmum
06-18-2003, 03:42 AM
Nice to have you all along! (Even the popcorn throwers!) I knew when I took the photo that I'd have to paint it one day :D

I should get more done today, with a bit of luck! How do I straighten that woman up? :confused: I want her to look like she's walking. I'm useless at figures, especially from my imagination!

Thanks for the support!

Ruth

jaytee
06-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Wasnt feeling hungry last night............. but am here with my breakfast banana............... hey careful!! dont slip on that.......... too late :(............

Ruth, SURELY you have a photo somewhere of a walking woman:evil:

madmum
06-18-2003, 06:48 AM
Jaytee of course I have, but I'm feeling contrary! :evil:

Has she sobered up?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/10535-Shrewsbury_reflections_4.jpg

I still need to darken the stone flags and do a bit more work on detail, but I think I'm getting there!

Ruth

tigre255
06-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks Jaytee, now I have a sore bottom.......

Looking great Ruth......

jaytee
06-18-2003, 07:17 AM
Sorry Barb!

Ruth. re drunken Woman.... my suggestion..........approx :D

madmum
06-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Jaytee you life saver!!!!!! Stupid me, I had the legs the wrong way round! lol

Ruth

Crystal Owl
06-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Looking great Ruth! I thought the woman was coming toward us but she looks like she's going the other way? Maybe when you lay some more layers I can't tell, dunno...... 1st coffee in the morning here will look again after I have 2 more!

Irene

artmom
06-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Lookin' good! Boy, it's a good thing it's VIRTUAL food in these WIPs, or we all would be Two Ton Tessie's (or Ted's)! LOL

mustcreate
06-18-2003, 11:04 AM
good progress Ruth!!

your windows are shaping up very nicely and I see you have a solution to the tipsy lady ;)

em

vestalqueen
06-18-2003, 11:18 AM
I see you have a solution to the tipsy lady

Or, you could always give her a little trenchcoat and brown paper bag...:evil: :)

Seriously, Ruth - Great start here. (Taking the seat next to Gail and behind Andrea - Junior Mints, anyone?)

Erin

pampe
06-18-2003, 11:21 AM
looking good so far

"settling in"

jkook
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Ruth, this is coming along nicely. I have taken a seat in the back because all these rowdy ladies are distracting :evil: and honestly.... that gum in your hair is not mine ! Nandie did it :evil: I saw her throw it ;)

madmum
06-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Oi! Andrea! You'd better pay for me to get my hair cut now! :p

Thanks for support - am I done? Sure your experienced eyes will see something else :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/10535-Shrewsbury_reflections_5.jpg

LOL @ Emilie's solution :D

Ruth

artmom
06-18-2003, 12:27 PM
WOW-der-ful! IMO, though, you need a few more darks in the flowers on our left!

Your reflections are great!

mustcreate
06-18-2003, 01:08 PM
pssst Ruth......

DARKS!!!!

in the foliage, the flowers and all the windows :D

tigre255
06-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Looks great, but have to agree with Lyn (artmom) and Em on the darks.......:D

Nandie
06-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim, you snitch, get your glasses fixed.... IT WAS NOT ME!!!!! I don't even chew gum!! Really Ruth, it was Jim that threw the gum....tell her Tigre..... I'm only chucking popcorn for the pidgeons!

Pampe... are you purring or is that a small cat I see under your coat?

madmum
06-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks Em, Lyn and Barb! Knew you'd say darks lol

OK. NOW I'm done :D I added the dark window bits to the reflections too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/10535-Shrewsbury_reflections_6.jpg

Ruth

artmom
06-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Ah, yes!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And now, please throw this rowdy bunch out, so I can just sit and look at this and have a quiet cuppa'!!!! LOL

mustcreate
06-18-2003, 02:17 PM
ahhhh yes!!

now you are done:)

lovely finish Ruth.....you got those reflections down and it looks like it's reflections on the road!!!! challenging and you did good:)

em

painterbear
06-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Ruth,

The road is shining with the rain and the reflections are FABULOUS!!! I really like all its elements. So glad Jaytee was able to help with the lady's leg, that made a lot of difference. ;) I like that you added her to the painting too, because it is how people do when the rain stops, they scurry home before it starts again. Terrific painting, this is one of your best yet.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

madmum
06-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Thank you Lyn, Em, Sylvia :)

I really needed a figure in there, and I'm pushing myself to include figures in more landscapes.

I'm glad the reflections are reading as reflections :)

Ruth

jaytee
06-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Great finish..... amazingly wet street..............is it worth keeping my seat for the next one? I have a spare banana...........

taghera
06-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jaytee
I have a spare banana...........

I've a bottle of Black Bush....so there!!!!...LOL..:D :D :D

You did great Ruth.......well done...:)

jkook
06-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Oh yea ! more better. Pssst...........it was Nandie , honest.:o

madmum
06-19-2003, 03:42 AM
Thanks Jaytee :D Not sure about "next one" - I'll have a slump where I don't know what to paint, then think about whether to WIP or just paint!

Tag, thanks for looking in (and bringing the BB! ;) )

Jim, stop stirring! :p lol Thanks :)

Ruth

Sher
06-19-2003, 03:49 AM
This is one of the best examples of wet street reflections, I've seen in awhile. Well done!!!!

ripvanblair
06-19-2003, 03:54 AM
Hi Ruth must have missed the start of this one, you certainly are much more adventurous these days, good for you, the painting is very good I thought when I looked at the early postings you were going to do an evening scene then the lights in the windows would really stand out, maybe that's your next paintings, one small point is the perspective in the first floor windows of the building on the right might be slightly off, but it no way detracts from the overall effect, the is "Ye Olde England" in spades, the reflections are superb--------------very well done----------Alan

CharM
06-19-2003, 08:50 AM
OhMyGosh Ruth... somehow I must have slept through your big finish! Those reflections are superb! Your lady has excellent posture and adds life to your scene... Well... the whole painting is wonderful, in fact! Way to go!!!

Uschi
06-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Looking really good Ruth!!!! Bravo:clap: :clap: :clap:
Uschi

NgKK
06-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Ruth, I am late...:(

BUT, I am lucky that I still can "feel" and "Enjoy" the happiness and joy from both painter and "watchers" though out the whole "show" ! ;)

Very nicely done reflection, Ruth, keep your WIP coming. I promise I am not that kind who throw Gum, as you know, our government fined people for litterings... :D

RuthT
06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Lovely painting Ruth. Marvellous reflections.

First time I have seen this thread and I really enjoyed the wip - and all the banter :D

There is so much detail; could you tell me what size it is please?

madmum
06-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks again :)

Ruth, it's quarter sheet size, about as small as I could cope with for this composition. Thank you.

Alan, you're probably right, but I think it's almost there ;) Thanks, I do love the olde worlde look. Changing day to night might be too challenging :eek:

*Nudging Char* You awake, sleepy head? lol Thanks :D

KK, glad you caught up :)

Thank you Uschi!

Sher, that's a very nice thing to say :)

Ruth

pampe
06-19-2003, 10:44 AM
great finish, Ruthie:clap:

madmum
06-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Thank you, Pam :)

Ruth

wilmas
06-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi Ruth :)
Beautiful painting as ever I like your paintings.
:clap: :clap:

Olga
06-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Ruth--

That's really pretty! Marvellous composition and the wet street is great... And the lady sobered up, too!

Really like this one!

Olga

madmum
06-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Thank you Wilma :)

LOL Olga! She just needed her other leg :rolleyes: Thanks :D

Ruth

suzpaints
06-20-2003, 04:09 PM
nice work!

I really like the colors and I'd say those reflections are a success!:clap:

Susie.

painterbear
06-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Ruth,
I'm putting this WIP in the Learning Demos section on Buildings and Architectural Elements because that is where we have other street scenes.

I may need to start a section on Weather Conditions though because they certainly shows a rainy street. :D

Sylvia

Cheri Lee
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
So lovely! The reflections are gorgeous!

:)
Cheri