GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: my house--rainy season garden
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50x60cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my front yard garden in the rainy season when everything grows fast, including colorful weeds!---a chaotic burst of color. I want to present the feel of that while still staying in the bounds of good composition.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
so much green is hard--what do you think of how I handled it? does the composition work? does the eye move around and into the garden in a pleasant way?
I've been looking at this much too much to be objective. Thanks

crazywoman53
06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Isn't spring wonderful .. no matter where it occurs? I think the composition is fine. I would suggest you tone down the foreground white rocks as they are stacking with the white building. I think were this mine I'd also look for a center of interest.. perhaps the door on the house and add more detail and contrast there while toning down the rest of the white of the house or a spot in the garden and add more detail there. This has a nice feel to it though and the greens are fine to me.

AllanFink1960
06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
This is a very pleasant painting, and my first choice would be to leave it the way it is.

I do like the composition and there is a definite feeling of having to walk AROUND the garden to get to the door.

There are a couple low priority things that might "improve" it or tidy it up, but it is subjective and a matter of opinion.

- crazywoman53 is correct, in that when you have the same color and value in the fore-ground, middle-ground and back-ground, it tends to flatten the depth of the image. This is true of the bright white areas, but also true of some of the bushes. You could experiment with some artistic license and paint things with less intense colors (more towards gray by mixing complementary colors) as you go back into the distance.

- You could do more light/dark rendering of the stairs, door and the door frame. As it is, you kind of lost track of your source of light. Your system of shadows is kind of uncommitted. Defining the lights and darks around the door would emphasize it enough for a center of interest.

-You could also render the bushes more by making each bush darker at the bottom. Having dark at the bottom and light at the top will make the overlapping effect more apparent, as well as give each bush more form and depth. Just a footnote, this is easiest to do when first painting in the foliage. Work from the back-ground toward the fore-ground. That way you end up putting the light colors of the bush in front over the dark colors of the bush in back. You can still fix it now but it takes a bit more care with the brush handling.

But as it is now it has sort of a nice impressionist kind of feel to it that has a lot of charm.

La_
06-05-2012, 02:20 AM
oh please, please, please show me the whole left side of the door and step = )

the giant bushes blocking that either have to step up and be the center of interest, or they need to get out of the way and let that side of the entrance be the center of interest.

the greens are lovely, perhaps tho the house/shadow should be a bit weaker, softer - a Light dusting of that red/brown you've used would work

la

AllisonR
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
The loose style is pleasant. However I don't think you have a coi - the door tries to be but is blocked, the bushes try to be but not enough detail or contrast or difference to make any one specific stand out, the tiny red flowers try but they are too small to make it as a cio. I wander yes, but am easily lead off the picture.

shrswmn
07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
thank you all for well thought out critique. It's taken a while to get back to it, but I finally reworked this with all your suggestions in mind. I'm still not sure it's finished, but i'll leave it for a while again and see. More C&C always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2012/973438-IMGP7115.JPG

maryinasia
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
love both, and love the improvements

eyecandy2
07-26-2012, 10:44 AM
La and Crazywoman said it all and you have done a great deal to improve the painting. The area on the left is a little to hazy to make out what is there. I think that I see a pond but not sure.