PDA

View Full Version : WIP One Happy Dog

scobellart
06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-02-2012/985311_WIP_One_Happy_Dog_WC.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP One Happy Dog
Year Created:
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8x8.5
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I don't know if I should continue the water to the bottom of the page or crop it half way.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments welcome

Poegirl
06-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I love your cute little dog and the waves look fantastic! I would crop your water around 1/3 or 2/3 so as to not cut the painting in half. A nice shoreline in the foreground would really tie it together and ground the image. Nice job :)

Dana Design
06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
I like it as it is as it gives that little pup somewhere to go. JMO. A King Charles? Love them.

My only crit would be the blue at the bottom of the piece. Seems as it draws my attention away from the dog.

Andrewcody
06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
You have done such a good job with the water effect around the dog I would continue it

Aires
06-03-2012, 08:15 PM
This is a nice composition and a entrancing little spaniel a romp in the water. I agree with the previous comment about cropping out the lower portion of the painting as to me, the blue does distract from the dog.
Very nice work and an excellent subject.

Avena Cash
06-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I really prefer it the way it is --NOT cropped.

If it was just the dog without the pull of that blue at the bottom I think it would be a more boring composition--while the way it is already is visually dynamic.

Also, this is just a really good composition. And I think everything works together in a composition, but if you crop it you lose things that were balancing out other things. Because the composition works and because everything in it is successfully connected I think you'll lose more than you gain with a crop. Crop would be best done at the sketching stage or on the photo reference before laying things out and making commitments.

The water effect is beautiful and keep this from being just another dog picture. And fortunately it is not so beautiful as to overwhelm the animal either. Awesome job and I say stay on the path you are already on with this one.