PDA

View Full Version : Female Cardinal

crazywoman53
06-02-2012, 04:43 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-02-2012/137465_Female-Cardinal.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Female Cardinal
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It has been years since I attempted to paint a bird so thought I'd give it a go again. Thanks to Marcus Moller for the ref photo. The red is not quite as bright as it is photographing.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions for improvement or comments are welcome as usual.

Poegirl
06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh I love this so much! Cardinals are one of my favorites and I love that you chose the female. I always loved the contrast in her beak with the rest of her body. I can't think of a single thing I would change, great work! :)

Dcam
06-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey Christine: Haven't seen you in a while. This is a strong composition and I love the way the bird stands out in bold relief against the earth colors behind. Great texture. In the big negative spaces of green I'd like to see a wee bit more of some whispy, spidery branches for interest?

Enjoyed. derek:)

crazywoman53
06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks Poegirl.. I agree.. the males always gets the attention and few people recognize the beauty of the female cardinal.

Derek .. thanks.. I debated about adding more branches but was afraid it would be too busy. Will think on that one. I ran into a data issue with my mobile modem and had to curtail my internet activity. Too many online classes eating away at the data. But it is the first of the month and I'm baaaack.. lol..