PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 16th - 22nd June.

Mo.
06-16-2003, 06:51 AM
Hi everyone..

Well here we are at the start of another week... this is now the 18th week of this very popular thread....A quick refresher for you....the objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

The main idea is to practice sketching quickly , you can always finish your piece later...

Stuck...don't know what to sketch?....

How about a theme for the week to get you going...

Let's make this week ~ Hot Summer ~ ... sketch the reds/oranges and hot pinks of Summer........ this could be fruits, flowers, clothing, parasols, balloons, kites...anything that sums up hot Summer.... just a suggestion, you paint what you like, loosen up and have fun, doesn't matter whether you are a total newbie or a professional, everyone is welcome, no one will critique your work, unless you specifically ask...

Link to last weeks thread:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112389 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?[s=&threadid=112389)

Have Fun :)

Cheers,
Mo.

angeline
06-16-2003, 02:45 PM
ok now i'm having trouble with this uploader these days since the upgrade.....it keeps making my comp freeze!
anyway trying again........a sketch i did today at the park
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2003/19726-trees.jpg

angeline
06-16-2003, 02:47 PM
OMG! now you got it twice!..........lololololololol!
uploaded and attached! oh I can't stop laughing!

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Well it's a nice enough sketch to look at twice!

sundiver
06-16-2003, 05:46 PM
It's very nice!
It's very nice!
How did you find working outdoors?
How did you find working outdoors?
:D

Mo.
06-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Heehee!!! It's double the pleasure Hayley. :D

cheers,
Mo.

bnoonan
06-16-2003, 06:45 PM
I like the second one better.

Just kidding!!! Great job!!! Barb:D

sundiver
06-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
How about a theme for the week to get you going...
Let's make this week ~ Hot Summer ~ ... sketch the reds/oranges and hot pinks of Summer Cheers,Mo.

Well, It's a good job I have some photos, because it sure doesn't seem like summer around here, and is anything but hot.
I did this one in the car (I wasn't driving at least :D) on the way home from a cold wet weekend at the cottage.O.P. on black gessoed wc paper. I want to try o.p.s with sanded ground next.
Took 30-45 mins. It's a little gloomy for my liking.

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Well sitting here near boiling temperature, I don't think it looks gloomy at all. It looks cool, shady and inviting!

Craig Houghton
06-16-2003, 09:26 PM
I had just gessoed some tagboard for some oils, and on one of the tagboards I ran out of gesso. The half gesso/half paper looked kinda horizon-like so I tried putting some pastel on it.

This is ten minutes of rembrandt and unison on semi-gessoed tagboard. no ref, obviously ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2003/21273-gesso_set.JPG

-Craig

Anodyne
06-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Craig: Thats wonderful, i love that the sky isnt blue, reminds me of last nights drive home. The land reminds me of van gough. Great work.

-Sonia =^.^=

Mikki Petersen
06-17-2003, 01:42 AM
Reminds me of after the volcano erupted, LOL! We had spectacular sunsets like that for many months after St. Helens erupted back in the 80's.

This is a beautiful piece and a clever way to solve a problem. It has a definite surreal mood and the colors are WOW!

Mo.
06-17-2003, 05:22 AM
Wendy... you must have super smooth roads over there with no pot holes to be able to paint in a moving car.... I can't imagine how it would have turned out if you'd been travelling on our country roads........yes I can the painting would have been on the inside roof of the car. :D

It's gorgeous too... was this acrylic gesso?

Craig... love your little piece of fantasiascape... It's good to let our imagination take over, love those sunset colours.

Cheers,
Mo.

angeline
06-17-2003, 07:24 AM
LOL at you lot......
I found sketching outdoors hard.......people looked at me warily thinking i was sketching them.......i tried clouds ...but they moved too much!.....lol
I found the trees hard to do........so many greens and i so wanted to capture the light through the leaves.....but i failed miserably.
Ah well I shall plod on with trying.
Wendy your little sketch is lovely!
Craig...love the colurs you have in your little pic

E-J
06-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Craig, beautiful colours in your unusual little land/sea/sky-scape.

This belongs here, I think, simply because it doesn't belong anywhere else ... at least it has a June sort of theme. I did an hour on it quite a few weeks ago but never posted what I'd done ... went back this evening and did another half an hour. It's from TeAnne's ref photo and was only done to try out my Schmincke Sansfix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/13865-rose.jpg

I've had a less than productive couple of weeks' pastelling ... just feeling a bit uninspired and fed up. Need to get back to the regular sketches, I think.

sundiver
06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
E-J, that rose is lovely!
I made a resolution today not to (try to ) paint roses any more. They turn out overworked and stilted, or when I try to be "looser" with them they look like little piles of colored #$%&*.
So that's it. No more roses for me, they make me mad!
You on the other hand don't appear to have that problem!:)

Craig, very cool, very cool! It has a moody, fantasy-like atmosphere.

Mo, yes it's Golden Acrylic Gesso.

Dark_Shades
06-17-2003, 05:36 PM
...... ...... just loosely based :) ........ from one of her gorgeous Pics in the library

.... this is Mr Swan and he's babies

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/12116-SwanCobb.jpg

bnoonan
06-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi there,
Just ducked in to see what everyone has been up to and it's remarkable. From roses to swans to scenery to dark woods - all quite wonderful and inspiring.

Mo, how do you work so well so fast? I'm dang impressed.

Just returned from a 3 hour pose with a model and after scraping and wiping things down, I ended up with dirty brushes and a primed canvas.

Hope to be posting some more later. EJ - I'm with you - not up for pasteling as much these days - sketching may be just the ticket.

Barb

JamieWG
06-17-2003, 06:01 PM
EJ, I think your rose deserves its own thread. It's beautiful!

Dawn, love that swan and the babies are too cute!

Wendy, I want to know how you draw in the car without getting sick.

Angeline, is this oil pastels? I love how you did it again and again. :D

Craig, what an inventive half and half!

Question for the group: I bought some Golden pastel primer. Have some of you used this? It's REALLY thick. Do I spread it with a palette knife, or think it down with water and acrylic medium and brush it on?

Jamie

angeline
06-17-2003, 06:09 PM
EJ ........that rose is lovely.
DS .........Mr swan and his babies look fantastic!
Jamie........no the sketch was done with conte hard pastels....and i'm still not happy with it.

Mo.
06-17-2003, 06:17 PM
I've had a less than productive couple of weeks' pastelling ... just feeling a bit uninspired and fed up. Need to get back to the regular sketches, I think.

E-J ~ your rose is blooming lovely, I empathise with how you are feeling too, I started two paintings for last weeks riot, still not finished...just canbot seem to get stuck into anything right now....must be the weather....yeah...blame the weather! :D

Originally posted by Dark_Shades
...... ...... just loosely based :) ........ from one of her gorgeous Pics in the library

.... this is Mr Swan and he's babies

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/12116-SwanCobb.jpg

Awww Dawn... that's so gorgeous, I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!:clap: :clap: This gorgeous mute swan is doing such a fine job raising those little ones all on his ownsome. hope to get some more pics soon, want to record them growing up.

Mo, how do you work so well so fast? I'm dang impressed

Barb... Me too.... :D:D ... BUt it's not my work..... It's Dawns...isn't it... FANTASTIC?

Right I've decided tomorrow I will do some quicky sketches. :D Get the flow going again.

Great paintings everyone, Keep 'em coming.

cheers,
Mo.

bnoonan
06-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Dawn - please forgive me - Oh wow did I screw up.

Back into the corner again I guess. Oh sorry , sorry, sorry.

Gorgeous job my friend. I promise to read more carefully next time.

Barb

E-J
06-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm back in the saddle ... or is that the sandal? :D

The itch to sketch was driving me crazy ... so I just went and did it. This was 30 mins, working very loosely, Unison darks and one or two W&Ns on blue paper. Great fun!! Just realised it fits in with the summer theme, too :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/13865-sandals.jpg

Mo.
06-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Aha... you've broken the spell... super E-J...well done you :clap:

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Mo and EJ: I've had the same problem the last two weeks - just couldn't get into anything. So hubbie and I went out and looked for something to inspire. We wound up at the local fairgrounds where they have some great plantings.

Need some help on this one - not happy with the sky - change the color? The plant in the upper left corner blends into the sky too much. I wanted the sky light and bright - the day was 90 degrees, sweltering, but these plants looked so cool.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/14941-border.jpg

Looks like we broke the spell - everybody's back at work!

sundiver
06-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JamieWG
Question for the group: I bought some Golden pastel primer. Have some of you used this? It's REALLY thick. Do I spread it with a palette knife, or think it down with water and acrylic medium and brush it on?Jamie

I got some the other day and have tried it a couple of times. I watered it a bit. Also I mixed it with black gesso, seemed to work ok. I also covered black (white too) gesso with it, and it's almost clear; it's blacker when actually mixed with the gesso. I'm still experimenting. I think I'm going to like it.

Dawn, those swans are beautiful!

soap
06-18-2003, 02:12 AM
Ok, so I did not join in this weekly thread, but I just have to say how gorgeous all this work is! It proves to me that one does not always need to work for ever on a piece to come up with some really good work. Am so impressed......This is a really good week, starting off with Hayley's funny double post.....ha ha....yeah.....I prefer the second one! LOL.......Kyle's plants look amazing...!!.....wish I could do that.....the swans are so cute......and so nice to know the sad story behind it.....E-J is on a roll as usual....stunning pieces! You inspire me to do still lives, girl! (well, um, almost LOL)

E-J
06-18-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by kyle
[B]Need some help on this one - not happy with the sky - change the color? The plant in the upper left corner blends into the sky too much. I wanted the sky light and bright - the day was 90 degrees, sweltering, but these plants looked so cool.

Kat, this is a lovely picture ... I love the effect I've seen people get with the dark paper, leaving edges showing in between the colours ... you, Craig and Katherine J spring to mind. I think you're right, you definitely need some kind of tone/colour contrast between sky and plants. I would suggest a more intense blue for the sky, since you say it was 90°, but that might make it come forward too much. Darken the back trees slightly, perhaps? Gaaah ... I'm not sure what to suggest ... someone else is sure to give you some better advice.

Sophie ... I'll try my hand at a portrait if you do a still life :D

soap
06-18-2003, 03:53 AM
E-J - you've got a deal........hmmmmm....now I need to set up/find a still life......can't wait to see you portrait!

angeline
06-18-2003, 04:07 AM
Sophie...........I just realised that I forgot to say how gorgeous your cards were!!!!!!!!!!! they're gorgeous!
Kyle your pictire is lovely.......I have no idea what you could do with it!........lol

Smudger
06-18-2003, 04:10 AM
Wow!... great work everyone, E-J you're out of your rut by the looks of things:D

Mikki Petersen
06-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Kat, I think your landscape is stunning. As for the back plant blending into the sky. There is an actual term for this called a "lost edge" and many artists use the effect to advantage. If you arn't buying this theory, try darkening the edges of the plant just slightly. When looking at an object against the sky, even if it's practically sky colored, it will usually give the illusion of a darker edge on the object almost a shadow effect. Another option is to deepen the blue in the sky a bit so the green contrasts against it. Either way, it's a nice piece of work!

E-J, I think those sandals are terrific. It's a great likeness and they look so comfortable I just want to slip them on. And your rose is quite beautiful and, I agree could have rated it's own thread.

Dawn, I love your swans. Did you do that in an hour or less? I couldn't have blocked it in that quickly.

Craig Houghton
06-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone :D

Dark_Shades - I love the colors in the water -- almost as much as I love the colors on the swan. there's so much life there.

e-j - Great technique on the sandals. I want the unison darks :P

Kat - I love the electricity. I took me a while to actually find the sky -- it didn't seem that important to me compared to the rest of the piece. If you want it to be striking I'd go with a super dark sky, but there's so much color and contrast already in the piece that a muted sky seems to work.

Thanks again everyone!

-Craig

Dark_Shades
06-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Kat....... love the colours in your pic........ yup agree think need a diff shade of blue for the sky ...... beautiful though

...... thanks everyone for lovely comments on My/Mo's Swan lol ....... Mikki it took about an hour and half...... I started it as I came in from work up until tea was ready (DH was cooking) ...... lolol he was surprised too..... said when did you do that!!!

....... just trying my luck with another........ this time a Duck :D ..... again about the same amount of time....... Im sure its the art spectrum and textured papers..... so much quicker to apply pastels

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/12116-Duck.jpg

JamieWG
06-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Wendy, thanks for the info on use of the primer. I have tons of acrylic paints, so figured I'd tint with those. I assume you are using watercolor paper? Do you masking tape down the edges all around then prime, and untape when dry? I want to use it on matboard scraps too.

Jamie

MarciaJane
06-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Just popped in quick -- hey u guys have done some GREAT pics on here. When I get time I may get something done myself !!!!

Marcia

Kathryn Wilson
06-18-2003, 08:22 AM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my plea for help and the kind comments on this painting.

Soap : I think the fact that I used a dark Art Spectrum paper (burgundy) helped with the darks in this piece. You might try just one plant or tree to see what happens.

E-J Thanks for the suggestion - you sound like I did standing in front of the painting - should I, should I, should I??? LOL. Your sandals look so comfy - I finally had to take my shoes off yesterday. I paint standing - does everybody else paint sitting? I seem to want to move around quite a bit to get different views of my painting.

1mpete : Wow, I had heard of lost edges, but didn't know I had done that - happy accident?? Wayne Gaudon sent me some suggestions similar to yours. Thanks!

Craig : Too much contrast in this painting seems to be a problem - LOL - I used to have problems getting enough contrast in my paintings so I started using the dark backgrounds - it sure is fun seeing the color pop off the paper, but it was such a hot, sunny day, the scene was full of contrast all on its own - I didn't need to add more.

Dark Shades: I love your duck - the water is amazing - what color paper did you use?

Dark_Shades
06-18-2003, 08:32 AM

Dark Shades: I love your duck - the water is amazing - what color paper did you use? [/B]

Ha! I knew I'd forgotten something...... had to go look :) ..... this was actually quite a nice dark purple paper

Mikki Petersen
06-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Dawn, your duck is cute but the water is especially good. Great job getting the movement of the water without overworking it.

Dark_Shades
06-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Thanks Mikki .....

Ok last one from me for awhile lol ........
Colours are brighter than in real....... taken at night...... too dark now to see to work further .... but this is how far I got

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/12116-Sunflowers.jpg

...... sorry for big pics....... cant seem to make them smaller

angeline
06-18-2003, 07:45 PM
DS................. you are speeding along here......wow and such lovely pictures too!
I love what this thread brings.

sundiver
06-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Well, I have definitely felt like painting this week but my results have been less than inspirational
This one I kind of like but the scan is dreadful, the shadows are not green blobs at all.
I mixed red acrylic with pastel ground (the clear gritty stuff) , put it on wc paper, and used oil pastels. I'm 'sperimentin' ! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/6393-pumpkinpatch.jpg
Yeah, I know it isn't summer! I took the ref pic last October.

BTW Jamie, I do tape down the wc paper if it's thin, say 90 lb., but the thicher stuff doesn't seem to need it.

And here's a good (bad) example of the limitations of photographs. The photo was flat and washed out. I had to make up the colors on the white, and the highlights and shadows on the flowers as well. I don't know if the bad perspective is partly thr photo's fault, or all my fault. Soft pastel this time.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/6393-Lakes_planter.jpg
And then there's those roses (shudder). I'll spare you them! :)

Mikki Petersen
06-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Boy, Dawn, you have sure come a long way from the girl I met last December who did single objects and didn't do backgrounds! And now you are doing these more complicated pieces in quick time...Good fo you!

Sundiver - I like your pumpkin pic. I searched and couldn't find any green blobs only appropriate shadowing. It's a lovely vibrant painting. As for the floral, I like that too and don't see perspective problems. You did a great job adding depth from a flat washed out photo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Dawn: I love the colours in your sunflowers - sunny, yet soft. Want to see more!!!

Sundiver: Fall is my favorite time of the year - cool and crisp - and these remind me of those days. Great shadows for those long fall afternoons with golden light. Personally, I think pumpkins are one of the more interesting veggies to do. Good one! And the lattice with the pansies remind me of summer - good job on the shadow cast by the lattice on the ground!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Craig Houghton
06-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Here's a quick field I did to test out using Neocolor IIs with lots of water for a quick underpainting. I did this with sennelier and schmincke on yellow fabriano tiziano paper that I stretched to keep it from buckling too badly. 45 minutes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/21273-fields.JPG

It's fun using an underpainting. It helps with values and saves pastel -- it was a fun experiment.

Btw, I am thinking of doing something with the foreground / field. Any ideas?

-Craig

Dark_Shades
06-19-2003, 02:41 AM
Wendy love your paintings.......... the pumpkin field is way gorgeous....... love them hot colours........ really does remind you of an autumn setting sun....... lovely
........ and too the flowers against the white lattice........ the pansies are a beautiful addition........

Craig........ love your landscape....... that field looks like velvet........ well done

....... lolol Mikki,........ yes my one object lol on Black hee hee ........ yep, I think Im seeing things a bitter better now :) ..... I think before I was too nervous of doing something wrong...... now just slap it on lol, and lets see what happens

Thanks all

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 03:55 AM
Craig, that is so vibrant! Great composition and I like the effect of the washes under the pastel. Nice!

E-J
06-19-2003, 03:55 AM
A real quickie ... 20 mins ... just wanted to fit in a sketch before heading out to work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/13865-hairbrush.jpg

E-J
06-19-2003, 03:57 AM
Not much time to post, but wanted to say ...

:clap: Wendy's pumpkins and Craig's field are both gorgeous!! :clap:

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 03:59 AM

....... lolol Mikki,........ yes my one object lol on Black hee hee ........ yep, I think Im seeing things a bitter better now :) ..... I think before I was too nervous of doing something wrong...... now just slap it on lol, and lets see what happens

Thanks all

Yes, I think that is the great benefit of what you have been doing with these weekly threads. Going back to the early threads, it is easy to see how nervous everyone was. Now look at all the great work that is being done by those of you who have stuck with it. Once we are settled from the move, I plan to do a lot of quick study pieces and plein aire stuff. I can really see the value in just plunging in and doing it. You are all to be applauded for sticking with this.

E-J
06-19-2003, 04:25 AM
Thanks Mikki .....

Ok last one from me for awhile lol ........
Colours are brighter than in real....... taken at night...... too dark now to see to work further .... but this is how far I got

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2003/12116-Sunflowers.jpg

...... sorry for big pics....... cant seem to make them smaller

Me again ... sneaking in ... missed this before ... Nice one, Dawn!

angeline
06-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Craig I just love that sky! all the colours you have got in there is bloomin gorgeous!
Um how about that feild being full of lavender?
It would go with the colours you have in the sky.
Or yellow mustard rape? that would contrast with the lilac colours?
Just thoughts its a really lovely piece.......going for another look.

EJ good quickie there.

Dark_Shades
06-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by E-J
A real quickie ... 20 mins ... just wanted to fit in a sketch before heading out to work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/13865-hairbrush.jpg

ohhhh thas good EJ .... how long did that take..... thought it was real lol ........ counting the hairs :D

Craig Houghton
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Great brush - I love the bristle field and the whole thing is very well rendered :clap:

Originally posted by angeline
Craig I just love that sky! all the colours you have got in there is bloomin gorgeous!
Um how about that feild being full of lavender?
It would go with the colours you have in the sky.
Or yellow mustard rape? that would contrast with the lilac colours?

Those are wonderful suggestions. I love the thee idea of flowering the field -- I think I will. Thank you!

-Craig

Kathryn Wilson
06-19-2003, 09:30 AM
E-J: That brush is so realistic! I admire your dedication to sketching every day.

Craig: You are definitely developing your own style - I would have recognized those clouds anywhere!

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Terrific job on the brush, E-J. I never would have thought to try that subject. Would have thought the bristles would have been impossible but you've done a very good job with it.

angeline
06-19-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm sat waiting for the flower field now :D
Bet it's gona look lovely.

soap
06-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Ok, I've got a quickie too......am often sooo enjoying this thread, but rarely join in......cannot begin to compliment you all on those wonderful paintings.....but I assure you I love looking at all of them!

Here's mine, about 15/20 minutes from a photo in the ref lib.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2003/15421-Little_girl.jpg
7x9"

E-J
06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Terrific job on the brush, E-J. I never would have thought to try that subject. Would have thought the bristles would have been impossible but you've done a very good job with it.

I'm tickled to get so many nice comments on a 20-min sketch :) Mikki, I'm trying to free myself up a little bit re what makes an acceptable sketching subject ... I was only ever choosing fruits, mugs, glasses etc, the kind of thing you would find in a 'proper' still life ... This week I'm tackling other things ~ everyday objects I see lying around ... it's good fun!

Dark_Shades
06-19-2003, 01:30 PM
nice one Soap....... glad to see you joining in ....... love the wind swept hair..... what paper is this?

E-J
06-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Very nice Sophie!

I notice you're sticking to your portraits and I'm still sticking to still lifes, LOL :D

soap
06-19-2003, 01:33 PM
well, er.....it's a left over piece of mount board.....no tooth whatsoever so the little girl will probably fall off soon! :D

E-J: NOooo.....I really have the plan to do a still life.......when I am done finishing all my other plans.......:D....maybe we can challenge each other at Smudge's.....;)

Dark_Shades
06-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Soap........ .... the other day you mentioned about E-Bay....... there is \a Dutch E-Bay too :D

http://www.ebay.nl/

soap
06-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Oh...how behind on modern civilazation am I!! :D.....but ah....I think I am gonna try to sell my stuff at a certain not specified gallery in London somewhere......:D.....sometime.......with a bunch of internet pastel addicts! :D :D

Mikki Petersen
06-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Sophie, I can't believe you did that wonderful portrait in only 20 minutes. You peple are frightening me...

Kathryn Wilson
06-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Soap: Aw, com'n - 15-20 min.!!! I takes me that long to set my board up, much less do a wonderful portrait.

We all need to start selling our pastels just to show the world how wonderfu pastels are - the medium has been sold short for far too long. How about a huge show in New York and London simultaneously for all the wonderful WC artists!! :D :D :D There's an awful lot of talent hiding here.

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 04:19 PM
not as quick as Soap lol ....... I had to stop and eat my tea :D so about 45mins........ well this is the last from me for awhile....... .... this was my last sheet of art spectrum........ wahhhhhhhhh

I dont want to go back using Canson :P

lol..... will be interesting to see which need is greater :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/12116-girl.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-20-2003, 04:24 PM
Dawn: Why are you stopping!! You are on a roll! Do not the art supply stores carry Art Spectrum paper?

:confused:

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Dawn: Why are you stopping!! You are on a roll! Do not the art supply stores carry Art Spectrum paper?

:confused:

Nope........ wahhhhhhhhh :crying: ........ all I can get is Ingres :p :p :p wahhhhhhhhhh lolol ..... well in my area.......

....... I just happened to see your comment Kat......... my emails are still not working properly....... takes an age for them to come in........ I was going to order from Dick Blick..... that would take a few days...... but they are out of stock too wahhhhhhhhhh lol
...... think Soap said there is an English site online which sells it or Wallis....... will have to go hunting that down

guilliame
06-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Just popped in terrific work in here again as usual,angeline and sundiver trees,craigs landscapes :cool: kyle love this as is great colours and pastel strokes,ds you have been busy like the water and the swans are beauts,oh ireally love the water with the duck and your flowers in the glass is looking good too,EJ beautiful rose love the sandals as well,blinking eck soap 20 mins brilliant portrait love it fix it do something dont let it fall off:D hope i haven't forgotten anybody but everybody deserves a:clap:

guilliame
06-20-2003, 04:48 PM
/20-Jun-2003/6932-://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/imagestures.gif

Not done much this week been slumming and sunning and gardening but as the suns gone down i spent an hour on this tonight practising trees and water its a river in scotland near creif:D

guilliame
06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/6932-My_Pictures.gif
This uploader is haunting me:D anyway not done much been slumming and sunning and gardening,spent an hour on this tonight:D

Mo.
06-20-2003, 05:06 PM
So sorry not to have been around to comment on all the fantastic work in here, been feeling poorly....now when I'm feeling a bit better, I come here and see all this Gorgeous work and done so quickly......I'm feeling sick again.... but with envy this time!!! :D

Where do I start?

Okay Dawn... you've been pretty active this week, you are on a flow my girl, first the swan, then a cute little duck, then you just seem to get betterer and betterer... those sunflowers are gorgeous, but the little flower girl is my favourite, she is GOBSMACKING GORGEOUS, love them ...keep going, don't stop now.:)

Wendy... you've done quite a few too, and all GORGEOUS, love the colours of those pumpkins, HOT!! :) Your experiment sounds fun too, as for the flowers, excellent job from a 'bad photo', what a beauty you've produced...and why spare us the roses, come on let's see, I know they'll be lovley.

Craig ...love the feeling of a hot summer's day in your landscape...seems everyone is experimenting.

E-J That hairbrush is too darn good for 20 mins.... nifty work, you are all making me so jealous.

Oh Gawd another 15 min quicky,... Sophie... It's fabulous!

I must, I must, I must get painting tomorrow. :D:D

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Okay Dawn... you've been pretty active this week, you are on a flow my girl, first the swan, then a cute little duck, then you just seem to get betterer and betterer... those sunflowers are gorgeous, but the little flower girl is my favourite, she is GOBSMACKING GORGEOUS, love them ...keep going, don't stop now.:)

cheers,
Mo.

Someone......... give me some paper....... quickkkkkkkkk !!! lol

guilliame
06-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Hi DS didn;t see this earlier must have x posted while i was having trouble with the uploader again,i think its alive oh oh here comes gulli again:D :D anyway ditto Mo,stunning work go get some paper:clap:

Mo.
06-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Mo and EJ: I've had the same problem the last two weeks - just couldn't get into anything. So hubbie and I went out and looked for something to inspire. We wound up at the local fairgrounds where they have some great plantings.

Need some help on this one - not happy with the sky - change the color? The plant in the upper left corner blends into the sky too much. I wanted the sky light and bright - the day was 90 degrees, sweltering, but these plants looked so cool.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2003/14941-border.jpg

Looks like we broke the spell - everybody's back at work!

Kat... I've been re-checking this thread and somehow I missed this one...I've been frantically trying to catch on everything and this gorgeous painting of yours got overlooked...

I love it just as it is, maybe as Mikki says, outlining the leaves a little more ...burt I think it's gorgeous as is.

Mo.

Mo.
06-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/6932-My_Pictures.gif
This uploader is haunting me:D anyway not done much been slumming and sunning and gardening,spent an hour on this tonight:D

But still manage to fit in some painting... the water looks like boiling rapids...very white and frothy..., Well done Guilly. :)

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-20-2003, 07:53 PM
DS - I had my DH look at the screen - he looked puzzled :evil:

Jerrys here is the States also carried Art Spectrum paper - and I think they are on sale. I'm going to order some of the primer, so I won't run out of my favorite colors.

bnoonan
06-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Well I've finally dug out the pastels again and did one of the quick sketches that I've promised myself I need to do.

This was done in an hour on Canson paper. I have to say I'm spoiled with LeCarte and Wallis paper but decided this would be fine for a quick sketch.

Thanks for keeping this going Mo. Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/13264-pastel-iris-more-saturated.jpg

bnoonan
06-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Hey Dawn - your little flower girl reminds me of a Midsummer's Night celebration in Sweden where the gals all wear their flowers in their hair. I hope Gunilla is finally on line and can appreciate this after her move. She's quite wonderful and you are capturing so much in quick draws - great stuff. And those sunflowers are just grande.

Guilli - You can paint rushing water so swiftly and I think I'd have sat there toiling over it for hours.

Nicely done - you definitely get the feel of it whooshing at you.

So many more to comment on...

Sophie - love the little girl - she's a gem.

Craig - yet another stunner landscape to add to your web site. Don't think I don't check it out every once in awhile.

EJ- cool hair brush! I never think of looking at things so daily in my life and capturing them on paper like you've done. It just works so well.

Wow - this was a busy week and I keep forgetting how much I miss all of this with you guys.

Thanks for doing it. Perhaps I'll start another if I have time.

cheers! barb

bnoonan
06-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Kat and Wendy - for some reason I keep looking at your pieces and then forgot to include them in my list of comments.

Kat - don't you love capturing the colors that others may or may not see like in the purples, blues and greens of your piece? I can just see the wind whipping through those blue fescue grass (forgive the spelling).

Wendy - good job on those oils - the pansies are always my favorite and yet the fall pumpkins are pretty darn great as well.

keep them coming.

Barb

bnoonan
06-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Another quick one - you guys are asleep in Europe and I'm finally waking up into my art.

This is a study - 1 hour.

Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2003/13264-joe-quick.jpg

soap
06-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Dawn, what a lovely girl! You've done real wonders with the hair! There are so many tones in there!
And - don't be silly ;) - get online and order some catalogues. They will be on your doorstep in no time and then you can order whatever you want! If I had your address I'd order them for you! No reason to be out of paper (well, except money, I suppose :D)
I've recently spoiled myself with a pack of 20 sheets of Art Spectrum and Royal Sovereign Card (very similar to LaCarte according to Heaton Cooper, although I've never used LaCarte). It cost a fortune, but I'll be alright for a while! All from Art Express, it arrived within 2 days after ordering it by phone.

Love the river!! Well done!

Barb.........what can I say......such amazing talent......that flower is absolutely stunning! A quick sketch?? This is just as good as your other flowers, which (I assume) took longer. I am recently finding in my own work that short timed work can be just as (or more) interesting as long worked stuff. Does that work for you too sometimes?
The portrait study is full of life and laughter - excellent job in grabbing an expression!

Did I forget somebody? Probably....I love this weekly thread - it is sooo full of good stuff!

angeline
06-21-2003, 02:46 AM
Dawn.......heaton cooper do art spectrum paper........and that primer i mentioned.......get on and order from them it comes quick!
heres the link again.
http://www.heatoncooper.co.uk/frame3.html

Dark_Shades
06-21-2003, 05:11 AM
lol in the words of Greg Rd2ruin........ Im No Mo lololol ...... how comes this week everyones either muddled me up with either Mo or Sandy ......... suppose it could be worse....... could of muddled me up with JohnnyRed or Guilly hee heee

Barb that flower is lovely....... its looks like a watercolour.... and love that portrait..... such a character..... and happy smiling face and eyes..... love the blue twinkle in them

Guilly that water really looks forceful...... well done

Kat....... would you like me to tap on the screen for your DH again...... I could S P E L L I T O U T S O N O W A Y W O U L D H E N O T U N D E R S T A N D

Dear Husband of Kat............. Surprise her with something nice.......... go find an art gallery and get her art shown in there...... but sssssshhhh dont tell her its a surprise :D

Thanks Hayley for the link....... ohhhhh the paper here seems sooooo dear lol compared to $$$$'s ....... hmmmm Im interested in the primer again....... have you tried it on Canson and Ingres?? ......... I might just order that :) ....... well I got my flexible friend out and ordered a bundle of stuff from Dick Blick........ yikes ..... dont anyone tell Tony Blair lolol

Thanks for the comments on the flower girl...... I had an idea in mind to make it all mystical and magical...... didnt quite work out that way lol .......... but it was more of a doodle..... great fun, really enjoyed it.......

Ok question to you all .......... I thoroughly enjoyed working on the flower girl..... was fun and quick....... am quite pleased with the end result........... but those who tend to take time over work...... and then work on these quicker ones...... here comes the question: ...... Do you value the work less ..... as was done so quickly ....... if thoughts of sales for the work..... would they be lower

Dark_Shades
06-21-2003, 05:13 AM

Kat....... would you like me to tap on the screen for your DH again...... I could S P E L L I T O U T S O N O W A Y W O U L D H E N O T U N D E R S T A N D

HA! HA! HA! .......... I spent ages typing that out to look right ...... lololol and it came out all gobbleydegoop on the screen

ROTFL!!!

Kathryn Wilson
06-21-2003, 08:15 AM
DS - LOL - he laughed and laughed at the typed message. Thanks for support!!

I have often pondered your question on valuing a painting if was done in only an hour or two. Pastels seem so quick to me sometimes - I stand in front of my easel and think I should work on it more to make it a "serious" painting - but it's a piece of art whether it takes 1/2 hour or days to finish. Just don't brag to your customers that you did it in such short space of time.

I haven't tried the art spectrum primer yet, but Craig H has - you might ask him.

sundiver
06-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Wow, everybody is sssssssssmokin' this week! I need to catch up on commenting on all this fantastic stuff.
Craig and Guill, love your scenes, and Sophie, that quick portrait is unbelievable.
Two more lovelies by E-J; I think the household items are a good idea!
Barb, the portrait ia amazing- so full of life- and I love the colors in your irus.
Dawn, the child is sweet, and...oh, I know there's another one....the sunflowers, yes! Goegeous.
On the question of value if the painting/sketch is done quickly: If you get a stunner in 15 minutes that's a kind of serendipity that may not repeat itself if you spent a longer time on the same subject. What I mean is, the spontaneity is part of the success of that particular piece, makes it unique, and valuable in its own right.

Mikki Petersen
06-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Dawn, I have not used the Art Spectrum Primer on canson paper, but have used it on poster board, matt board and masonite (think you all call it "hard board"), and it provides exactly the same surface as the Art Spectrum paper. I got a jar in a deep grey (it's packed so I cannot look for the color name) and I bought some Art Spectrum paper in the same color. Perfect. And the jar of primer cost about as much as two sheets of the paper. It spreads on the surface easily and dries relatively quick. I prime several surfaces at a time. This stuff is definitely cheaper and much easier to store.

I'm guessing it would work on Canson if you taped the paper down before priming. It would probably buckle a bit while wet but would dry nice and flat like stretching watercolor paper.

by the way, I love your little flower girl. sort of reminds me of the "big eye" paintings of the 60's and 70's. (not that I'm old enough to remember...ehem...LOL!)

Mikki Petersen
06-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Barb, I love your iris...those close in views of flowers always produce fascinating results. Well done! Do you really find you are liking oil painting better or are you giving in to the pressure that "real artists paint in oil"?

I keep being drawn to painting in acrylics (can't handle the chemicals in oils) but everyone asks why I don't stay with pastels because they like the results better. Guess I just want options. Doing a pen and ink piece right now.

Dark_Shades
06-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
On the question of value if the painting/sketch is done quickly: If you get a stunner in 15 minutes that's a kind of serendipity that may not repeat itself if you spent a longer time on the same subject. What I mean is, the spontaneity is part of the success of that particular piece, makes it unique, and valuable in its own right.

Thank you Wendy....... thats a perfect answer :clap:

Thanks Mikki......... I think I will give the primer a bash :) ..... have ordered some papers now from DB in the meantime lol

.... funny you should say about my flower girl ...... and wideyed and 70's ...... I was thinking and saying at the time of doing it...... want to draw and doodle like I used to........... lol 60- 70's babe ha ha ha..... but one thing I did like doing always...... BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG eyes........ and very long necks :D ..... I just might doodle some more lol

Mikki Petersen
06-21-2003, 11:51 AM

.... funny you should say about my flower girl ...... and wideyed and 70's ...... I was thinking and saying at the time of doing it...... want to draw and doodle like I used to........... lol 60- 70's babe ha ha ha..... but one thing I did like doing always...... BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG eyes........ and very long necks :D ..... I just might doodle some more lol

Hey, go for it. Seems everything old is new again, right! I'm seeing bell bottoms, hip-hugger jeans, peasant blouses and tie dye (cringe) in fashion again. Why not revive the art too.

soap
06-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Re: Dawn's question on the value of 'quickies'.........Good point....and I agree that art is art no matter how long it took....some go fast.....some go slow.....does not mean anything for the quality.

That said....I also find that it feels odd to price a 'sketchy' painting done in 1 hour at the same level as a 'finished' painting done in 4 weeks. That does not seem fair, although some might think the 'sketchy' one is better than the 'finished' one. (whatever 'sketchy' and 'finished' means here :D)

But what about those oil painters who work on a painting for months and months and charge tens of thousands of pounds for it? Even for (in my humble opinion) average work people seem to be willing to pay this.
Am I suppose to spend 6 months on a painting before it is 'true art'?

It should all be rubbish....but I doubt....sometimes......dunno...

sundiver
06-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Well, I did it! Between Mom's Taxi-ing and getting groceries, I managed to sneak off to a local little park for an hour with my o.p.s. Thanks to Dan for the inspiration!
I sat in the back of my now duct-tape-free van, looking out the sliding door. (Dawn, you aren't serious about not knowing what that is, are you:D ? )
Unfortunately by the time I got there it was becoming overcast, and although the lake was a nice color, the shadows and highlights had disappeared, leaving everything, well, green. So it's dull. The (green) other side of the lake has merged with the (green) foliage on this side. But what the hey, I did it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2003/6393-Ritchie_Lake.jpg

Mikki Petersen
06-22-2003, 12:03 AM
For the kind of day you've had, I'd say that is a tremendous work! I personally love greens so this is my kind of painting. You are to be applauded for your determination to get some painting done on such a tough day.:clap:

sundiver
06-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Sneaked another one in today, across the river, plein air, 20 minutes, soft pastel on dark green matboard primed with clear pastel ground, 8x10
It's a bit wild! And my monitor is excremental, so I can't even tell if it's a good scan.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/6393-riveronpeninsulaside.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Sundiver I love the blues and greens in this piece. Did you like working on the surface your created?

Dark_Shades
06-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Sneaked another one in today, across the river, plein air, 20 minutes, soft pastel on dark green matboard primed with clear pastel ground, 8x10
It's a bit wild! And my monitor is excremental, so I can't even tell if it's a good scan.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/6393-riveronpeninsulaside.jpg

excremental erm, do I wanna ask what this one means lolol :eek: :evil: :D

Mo.
06-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Well, I did it! Between Mom's Taxi-ing and getting groceries, I managed to sneak off to a local little park for an hour with my o.p.s. Thanks to Dan for the inspiration!
I sat in the back of my now duct-tape-free van, looking out the sliding door. (Dawn, you aren't serious about not knowing what that is, are you:D ? )
Unfortunately by the time I got there it was becoming overcast, and although the lake was a nice color, the shadows and highlights had disappeared, leaving everything, well, green. So it's dull. The (green) other side of the lake has merged with the (green) foliage on this side. But what the hey, I did it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2003/6393-Ritchie_Lake.jpg

I take it your van is like our car Wendy.:D

What a smashing piece of work..you absolutely amaze me...what are you on? LOL!

Mo.

Mo.
06-22-2003, 07:18 PM

20 minutes??? You are pulling my leg aren't you? Sheesh you are nothing short of brilliant. WOW!

BTW, my monitor is not quite that crappy. :eek: :eek: :cat: :D LOL.

Mo.