PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Slide Cards - Help!

amanda
06-16-2003, 03:52 AM
I posted this at the Cafe but didn't get much of a response as I don't think anyone knows how to do this. Anyway, I'll try again here as I really do want to know how to do this. Thanks to anyone who can help.

For some reason I wanted to make a special card for my brother tonight like those mechanical slide cards that you used to see in old children's books. Do you know what I mean? The kind that has two images and when you pull the tab the image changes (as one image slides over the other). I searched and searched the net and came up mostly empty. I haven't been able to even find the true name for these little books or the mechanism. I found only one website that acknowledges they exist;

http://www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol...popup/flat.html

My question is, does anyone out there know how to make these cards? I'm sure if I had one in my hot little hands I could work out how to do it but I don't!

It's annoying me so much now that I can't work it out, I spent about 2 hours trying to work it out by hand as well tonight!!!

Thanks to anyone who can lead me out of my frustration!

CarlyHardy
06-16-2003, 06:11 PM
I've seen that type of book at one of the kids learning toy stores...the kind that specialize in brainy type toys...can't recall the name! Brainy Zany?

Had another thought too! Dover Books online ( www.doverpublications.com ) carry remakes of some of the children's old fashioned books. You might get an idea by checking there.
carly

amanda
06-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Thanks for that, I'll have a good look around that site.:)

Jangogh
06-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Hi amanda

I tried finding info on pop ups and mechanical cards and couldnt find much when I was working on mine. Pretty much only found simple ones and of course I wanted more than that. Your best bet is to buy one that does what you want already and take it apart and see how it works.

I remember seeing a guy on the Carol Duval show make some and he said pretty much the same thing -- there arent any books, take one apart and see how it works. I know that is a little late for you to get something done tonight, but maybe for the next time.

amanda
06-17-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks for that Jangogh, I think I will have to do that. I have had a little look around in some bookshops for them but haven't found any as yet.

Jangogh
06-17-2003, 02:43 AM
Hi amanda

Try going to www.hgtv.com and then on to the Carol Duval show. Maybe you can contact them about the show that had the guy doing the pop up cards. As I recall, he did do some that he said were "old" designs. If they locate the episode he was on, maybe you can get a transcript or a tape of it.

Good Luck.

amanda
06-17-2003, 06:10 AM
thanks a lot for all your help, that website has a lot of information on it so I'm sifting my way through it at the moment. Thanks for your help once again.