PDA

View Full Version : Gouache/Watercolor

fxoflight
06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi guys,

I read something recently in a comparison between gouache and watercolor and I found it very confusing. Some people said watercolor was harder. I would like to propose that they are equal in difficulty, as is any medium when you are used to it.

I use gouache in transparent washes, and use some opaque strokes here and there. If I feel the need or desire to, I can wet a brush a wipe back enough white of the paper for lighter areas, which in context of the painting looks quite bright, and sufficient for the lights.

I have found the same thing with watercolor. So I find gouache and watercolor equally as 'forgiving' and I have no idea why some people seem to think gouache is easier than watercolor painting.

Oil paint is the medium I've worked in most so far in my life, but I've been spending quite a bit of time with gouache lately. It's great too.

I have also read that some artists feel like watercolor and/or gouache are harder than oil painting, in comments such as "i paint in watercolor - a very unforgiving medium." And I just don't understand what they're talking about.

Has anyone else here found watercolor, gouache and oil or whatever medium to be equally forgiving? From my experience, the important part is knowing how to mix colors, compose a picture, and create harmonies. The paint medium itself isn't the hard part.

All the best,
fxoflight

Yorky
06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Both have their challenges. Check out the Gouache Challenge (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17030242#post17030242) in the Watercolor forum.

Doug

JamieWG
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I definitely find both oils and gouache to be easier than straight transparent watercolor. I love gouache, both by itself and in conjunction with watercolor. But there's something so stunning about a transparent watercolor done well enough to make it work on its own, with reserved lights that shimmer with light reflecting off the surface of the paper and through the pigment.

Jamie

fxoflight
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi Jamie,
Yes, what I meant was using Gouache like you would use transparent watercolor. Because they can be used in the same manner I don't understand how one can be harder or easier than the other.
-fxoflight