PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Riot June 16-22

sundiver
06-15-2003, 09:20 PM
The Pastel Riot is a weekly challenge to create a painting from one of several reference photos provided. There is no time limit, and no particular skill level expected. The point is to compare the different ways we each approach the same subject, and to have fun!
The first person to post a painting each week wins the opportunity to host the Riot for the next week.

Here are some photos taken recently. Hope there is something to get your artistic juices flowing!
First, a pink tulip for anyone who likes florals:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2003/6393-pinktulipforriot.jpg
Second, a landscape for anyone who likes trees:D:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2003/6393-oystershackforriot.jpg
And third, some grapes on my favourite dollar-store stainless plate, for anyone who likes challenges!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2003/6393-grapesonstainless.jpg

Let me know if the scans are bad: my monitor is behaving badly.

Mikki Petersen
06-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Alright! You've got my fingers itching. These are great! Each a challenge in it's own way! Hmmmm...let's see....

sundiver
06-17-2003, 05:08 PM
:) just bumping this one up so it doesn't get lost :)

E-J
06-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Wendy ... that looks suspiciously like the plate that's cropped up in your 'apple' pictures ... those setups were what inspired me to try to paint metal for the first time, when I tackled my little brass vase.

Nice choices :)

bnoonan
06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Wendy good choices. I see you threw in a flower for me - but alas - too busy to paint again this week.

have fun you guys!!! Barb

Mo.
06-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Great pics Wendy... will try... brain dead at the moment but will tryto do one.:)

Cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-20-2003, 07:22 AM
bump!:)
A riot is what I would call my lunch-duty yesterday, the last full day of school for the kids. It was raining so everybody was herded into the auditorium, and all 600 of them decided to run up to the balcony (which has room for maybe 100) at once.
A riot is NOT what I would the activity here this week! :D (And we thought last week was quiet...)
No matter, we're all busy. I guess this can stay active until somebody decides to post a new one.

Craig Houghton
06-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
bump!:)
A riot is what I would call my lunch-duty yesterday, the last full day of school for the kids. It was raining so everybody was herded into the auditorium, and all 600 of them decided to run up to the balcony (which has room for maybe 100) at once.
A riot is NOT what I would the activity here this week! :D (And we thought last week was quiet...)
No matter, we're all busy. I guess this can stay active until somebody decides to post a new one.

I think the "weekly pastel thread" got all the attention this week :) And, I'm thinking it might have something to do with Jackie's Challenge, but that's a good thing :)

I think leaving it active in the mean time is a good way to go. :)

I've been working on some oils and watercolors all this week. But, shhhhh don't tell anyone!

-Craig

oramasha
06-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Since Craig confessed, I'll confess too: I've been practicing w/ graphite and w/ my acrylics!
I did take Jackie's challenge, painting from life, actually, it's my challenge, too. . . as I agree that's the best way to learn a lot of things. So far: tomatoes, corn, a lemon, and a garlic. I'm out of ideas. I might paint from a photo today, as well as some life studies.

Mikki Petersen
06-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Okay...since we are all confessing here, my limited time in studio right now is devoted to a fairly complicated pen and ink piece. Guess it is the season for kicked back experimenting. Lets keep this one open for a while because there are some good subjects here.

Smudger
06-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Yeah keep it live...it will give me something to do on the plane sunday and i can post it when i get back:D

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Ive run out of paper....... and I sooooooo dont want to go back using canson

Craig...... the weekly pastel thread has been running for 18 weeks now...... its a very popular thread...... if you go back over some of the weeks and just see how many people participated and viewed...... astonishing!!!

....... actually I had been thinking the whole forum had become dead and dull ....... but has since picked up in the latter part of the week..... yeahhhhhh :clap:

Mo.
06-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Wendy...my excuse has been a genuine one.... to sik to paint.:)

So please leave it running, I still have to finish the two I started for Mikki's last week too.

Craig: The Weekly thread as Dawn says has always been a very popular one, hopefully it will continue that way too, also this thread has been very popular too, but not to everyone's taste...as it's painting from photo's which some seem to condemn.... but it's all good practice though, wonderful to see how different artists take a simple or difficult ref pic and turn it into a work of art, using their own artistic license.

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-20-2003, 06:31 PM
good news chaps......... Ive been an ordered some paper ...... but the wait may be too great lolol ...... and have to resort to Canson

sundiver
06-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Good morning! :D Just bumping this up to keep it active, as requested.

Craig Houghton
06-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Wendy...my excuse has been a genuine one.... to sik to paint.:)

So please leave it running, I still have to finish the two I started for Mikki's last week too.

Craig: The Weekly thread as Dawn says has always been a very popular one, hopefully it will continue that way too, also this thread has been very popular too, but not to everyone's taste...as it's painting from photo's which some seem to condemn.... but it's all good practice though, wonderful to see how different artists take a simple or difficult ref pic and turn it into a work of art, using their own artistic license.

cheers,
Mo.

Of course. It's actually my favorite thread and what turned me on to wet canvas in the first place.

-Craig

sundiver
06-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Bump-diddly-bump-bump! :D

Kathryn Wilson
06-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Sundiver, D_S & Mo: Here ya go - the elipses were killing me, so I called for help - Dear Dear DH - he always comes up with a solution.

By the way, I enjoyed eating the grapes while I was painting away -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2003/14941-grapes.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Why is it you always see something on the screen that you don't see when you are standing in front of it. The stem at the top needs some shadow and the fruit reflection in the bowl needs to be the same color as the grapes! Duh!!

Probably because I was tired and my feet hurt - LOL

Mo.
06-22-2003, 06:18 PM
You brave girl Kat being first to post.... your turn next week! :D

Love them luscious grapes, been looking at the ref pics, but not done anything.... I've got artsit block at the moment, nothing is flowing for me.:(

Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-22-2003, 06:32 PM
well done Kat......... lol so glad you didnt leave the pips on the side of the plate :D

..... nice complimentary colours too ......... I think you have an eye for colour.......

congrats on being the new poster for the next riot...... perhaps you would like to use some of your DH's wonderful photos.... and then you can be both a part of it :)

I did have a little bash last night using the canson..... I just really dont enjoy using that paper any more..... seems like too much as hard work lol

Kathryn Wilson
06-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Mo Ahh, Mo, we all go through that once in awhile. Remember, you were having a hard week. Next week we'll have a wing-dinger!!

D_S: Shhh ... nobody will know about the Canson that wound up in my trashcan right before I started on these grapes on Art Spectrum. I started to do the oyster shack and those old holes popped up all over the place, so I blended and blended, but I said why be miserable through the whole painting, so it got the old heave-ho.

These grapes were the first time that I have blended my colors together - it seemed appropriate and DH liked it, so it stayed.

sundiver
06-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Yay! A post! And a very good one at that. :clap:
(Aren't those ellipses just so much fun?:D )
You have lots of time to decide what to post for the next Riot, since the general request was to keep this one active for a while, and apparently someone's still working on images from the previous Riot!

guilliame
06-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey Kyle brave of you to do the grapes well done,look forward to your pics next week:D :clap:
Iv'e gone for the trees but not really happy i used a acrylic paper and cant seem to get any more pastel down oh well:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2003/6932-shack.gif

Kathryn Wilson
06-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Guilliame: Not as brave as you, I started on that one and it wound up in the trash. I like the reflection you achieved in the water.

What does one do with all the awful bits of paper that you don't want to use anymore? I've been trying to use up my Canson on little projects, but really disappointed in the results. Just not worth it anymore.

Craig Houghton
06-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Guilliame: Not as brave as you, I started on that one and it wound up in the trash. I like the reflection you achieved in the water.

What does one do with all the awful bits of paper that you don't want to use anymore? I've been trying to use up my Canson on little projects, but really disappointed in the results. Just not worth it anymore.

I made a drawer for all my bits of papers and single sheets. I also put colourfix or gesso primed sheets in there. It seems to work, but I tend to add more the the pile than I take away from the pile. EIther way, I can't stand working on regular paper anymore. The colourfix primer has spoiled me for good :)

-Craig

sundiver
06-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Nice one, Guill. Maybe a spray of fixative would allow more layers.

Mikki Petersen
06-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Guilly, I think your painting is lovely but it could definitely use more contrast. I agree with Sundiver, try using a spray fix to get some tooth. You have a charming composition here.