PDA

View Full Version : arches paper

woodbeck3
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I am gonna buy some bigger sheets of Arches so I can cut it up. Since I won't be doing in wet on it but will be using SA ground do I still need to stretch it? Also, since I am cutting it will it it be ok cut?

Jeff

DAK723
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. Are you talking about the new Arches Paper that can be used unprimed for oil painting or traditional arches watercolor paper, or some other paper I don't know about?

Either way, if you are going to do a pastel painting on Arches paper - yes, you can cut a larger sheet to any smaller sizes you want and add a ground (not sure what SA ground is...).

You can tape the paper down on a board so help prevent buckling.

Hope this helps...

(You mention stretching - Did you mean for this question to be in the Oil Painting forum? If so, a moderator can move it for you.)

Don

woodbeck3
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Hey Don. I meant their water color paper, I wasn't even aware they made anything else lol. SA is my short hand for art spectrum....
http://www.dickblick.com/products/art-spectrum-pastel-and-multimedia-primer/

And by stretching water color paper I mean soaking it, running the excess off and taping it down with gum tape while it dries. Usually this is done so when you do your water color work the paper won't buckle on you. I did not know if the pastel ground was wet enough to cause buckling if the paper wasn't prepared.

After reading my original post I realize it was clear only in my mind ;).

Thanks for taking the time.

Jeff

adventureartist
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Gesso the back too, this will prevent more buckling.

Jason1616
06-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Hey Don. I meant their water color paper, I wasn't even aware they made anything else lol. SA is my short hand for art spectrum....
http://www.dickblick.com/products/art-spectrum-pastel-and-multimedia-primer/

And by stretching water color paper I mean soaking it, running the excess off and taping it down with gum tape while it dries. Usually this is done so when you do your water color work the paper won't buckle on you. I did not know if the pastel ground was wet enough to cause buckling if the paper wasn't prepared.

After reading my original post I realize it was clear only in my mind ;).

Thanks for taking the time.

Jeff

Jeff, yes this will help immensely. I recently stretched a sheet of Arches hot press 90lb so I could prime it with AS primer. Works like a charm. In my experience the pastel ground is wet enough to cause buckling.

Jason :)

woodbeck3
06-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks all. got myself a walls pad too to try it out.